1/6th Sand Person/Tusken Raider

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my eye on a small sewing machine for a while now ( a local craft shop has them for £12 ), making an outer robe for my Tusken looks like the impetus to finally get one ! ( At this point I must admit that The Wife thinks I've finally lost it!):rotfl
( And moderators , why not compile all the Tusken threads into one, you know it makes sense! )

The store is a place called "Dunelm Mill" , a chain that deals in all things household . They're actually pretty good for general craft supplies . ( I can't believe that I'm comunicating with other grown men on the inter-web about , of all things , sewing machines !):lol

LOL I know Dunghill Mill My folks go there to get their bedding and curtains and special slippers that are really fluffy on the inside.... LOL

I want a sewage machine to...

I can't believe that I'm comunicating with other grown men on the inter-web about , of all things , sewing machines !):lol

Keep jokes about grown men and sewing machines to minimum.:lol

I wouldn't expect to much from one of those $25 sewing machine, those little things are meant for crafts and minor repairs and for kids to learn on, they also don't last long (Timing gets thrown out easy, then its toast). So it will work for the random thing as long as its nothing to complicated.

Making the stuff I do trashed a $200 machine (it sucked anyhow), I just had to upgrade to a $600 machine this time, and I had to buy a bunch of new presser feet ($15-$30 each) and crap cause my old stuff doesn't fit the new machine.:banghead

So if you plan to actually do a decent amount of sewing for your custom figures it can be a pretty serious investment, and its worth spending some money on a decent machine. You can get a light duty machine for around $120 that would work good if you stay away from leather and vinyl.

I need to pick up my sewing machine next time I visit home.
Awesome work on the Tusken. I need to have a go at making one sometime.

All these Tusken Raider threads being bumped back up got me going...

I did some weathering on mine.

tusken20.jpg

I still need to figure out a cloak. I will probably custom make one like barryo did, I really like his.

I really don't like you man... you are making it so hard for me to stay on one project LOL.... Love the tusken

I really don't like you man... you are making it so hard for me to stay on one project LOL.... Love the tusken

I feel the same disgust for you when I see your custom clones mate!:D

If this is a good reason for disgust, then I hate you all! :lol

Anyway, lookin' good Chaka! Cloak looks fine, methinks...

I wonder if I could throw together a group shot of all the custom Tuskens popping up around here in Photoshop one day... that would be cool! Could give it a nice Tatooine background too... :naughty

if each person with a Tusken Raider custom would take a pic of it at the same distance away from it and with the same lighting as everyone else's pic, I could photoshop 'em all together so well, the noobs who show up later might never suspect that all the Tuskens were never together in real life!

:drool if only... (anyone interested? Please, let me know!)

Last edited:
If this is a good reason for disgust, then I hate you all! :lol

Anyway, lookin' good Chaka! Cloak looks fine, methinks...

I wonder if I could throw together a group shot of all the custom Tuskens popping up around here in Photoshop one day... that would be cool! Could give it a nice Tatooine background too... :naughty

if each person with a Tusken Raider custom would take a pic of it at the same distance away from it and with the same lighting as everyone else's pic, I could photoshop 'em all together so well, the noobs who show up later might never suspect that all the Tuskens were never together in real life!

:drool if only... (anyone interested? Please, let me know!)

I'd be up it , though it'd have to be a simple set up as I'm limited in my photographic resources . ( and skills !)

The robes looking good Chaka , I've just added an outer robe to my Tusken and it really adds to the realism .:cool:

Last edited:
I'd be up it , though it'd have to be a simple set up as I'm limited in my photographic resources . ( and skills !)

The robes looking good Chaka , I've just added an outer robe to my Tusken and it really adds to the realism .:cool:

You'd be "up it?" :loljk I know what you meant... :D

You'll probably need a digital camera, a tripod to put it on, and possibly a desk lamp. Oh yes, and a Tusken Raider!

You may also want to use some "stand-in" figures for the other Tuskens, although it won't be absolutely necessary...

All you need to do (if anyone else with a custom tusken is interested) is set up your Tusken, take a pic of him from a pre-determined height from the surface the Tusken is standing on (ie if the Tusken is standing on a table and the tripod is on the floor, the distance from the table to the camera should be the same as everyone else's picture, that way the perspective will match perfectly!), and make sure a lamp is pointed at him from the right direction/angle (wouldn't have to be precise, could be "from upwards and to the left" or something... of course you could angle him the same way towards a window with sunlight coming through)...

But first I need the other Tusken Raider customizers to get interested... after we have a group of a few people, we can decide on lighting angle and camera elevation...

I think this has the potential to look really good...

And now I suddenly have the desire to incorporate Tusken Raiders into my SW fan fic I'm writing... (to anyone who hasn't, you guys should check it out in my thread and leave me some feedback! :naughty Please?) I may have my main character on Tatooine at some point now...

Er , obviously I meant "up FOR it!" . :eek:
C'mon then Tusken builders , let's get the ball rolling ! :banana

Been a while since I've done any custom figures from start to finish but I got my Tusken Raider done this afternoon.

He's all Hasbro except for the body (Buck) and the hands (Endor Trooper). Just repainted everything and put the robe in a mild dye bath. I'd like to swap out the plastic tubes for a wire in the cylinder around his neck, make and outer robe and find some waist pouches someday but other than that he's done and on my shelf.

Back