1/6th Sand Person/Tusken Raider

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chakaman

Super Freak
Reaction score
I really didnt want to crash in on Sean's Tusken Raider thread, so I thought I would start this one.

We should do what the guys in the GI Joe section do. They start a custom thread on a character and then everyone who does work on that character posts pics and info in that thread. What do you guys think? I really like it, easy to find all kinds of ideas in one place.

Anyways....

Here are some work in progress pictures on my Tusken...

tusken1.jpg

tusken2.jpg

tusken7.jpg

I took a spare head and dremmeled it down to give me a base to work with. I used a couple of plastic spacers for eyes. I took the hasbro mouthpiece and built leather straps around it. I then put some sculpy on the sides of the face to give it some bulk and then began applying leather strips to the head.
1267227265262_tusken.JPG

tusken4.JPG

tusken1.JPG

tusken5.JPG

tusken2.JPG

It is taking a while but I like the shape of the head so far. Hopefully tomorrow I can add the horns/spikes and face prongy things. Nothing is painted, but I will probably weather it like Sean is planning to do.

Last edited:
Cool! More Sandpeople! I love it.

A good source for bits and pieces is a train store (dedicated stores that sell HO train sets and accessories, etc). I have one near me that sells tons of little bits and pieces to make your own buildings, train cars, etc, and you can always get nice little parts. For my raider, I found some good bits for the head spikes there that were meant to be smoke stacks or something. The face prongy things were some sort of pegs used to hold up a shelf inside a cabinet or something that i had laying around.

Sean

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/6KPOWcNYTlw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/6KPOWcNYTlw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/KsFq2XkQAug&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/KsFq2XkQAug&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

as you can see, the Tusken Raiders are enjoying their recognition in 1/6 and want to see more!!!

Love it Chris and the WIP are brilliant!! I am never gonna finish all my projects if you keep coming up with more stuff like this to side track me!!!!! LOL

Thanks guys, its really starting to come together. I started putting together the outfit. I made some leather sleeves for him and used an extra set of Endor Soldier hands I had. Man, those Endor guys come in handy!!:D

tusken9.JPG

tusken11.JPG

tusken10.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Im gonna start work on his boots or wrappings and hopefully score some pouches for the bandolier this week.

Now that I have gone through all the headaches of trying to figure out how to do this guy, I want to do another one.:D

Nice!I've had thoughts of making another attempt to revamp hasbro tusken.I'm getting a little inspired to do so seeing your WIP Chris.Cant wait to see how he comes out.

I first tried to shrink that huge @$$ head in acetone but the end result was a very slightly smaller huge @$$ head with no paint,lol.
I cut the face off & epoxied it to another head, smoothed the rest with magic sculpt & pressed fabric on it MS for texture.

Um....& that's about as far as it got.

I did some work on my Tusken today. I got my bandolier pouches in the post today and knocked those out. I also did his foot wrappings/shoes. I just took leather bits and pieced together coverings. I liked the looks of the ANH Luke rifle, so I thought this guy would be a sniper since the Hasbro Gaffi stick is HUGE!!!

Here are a couple of pictures...

tusken13-1.jpg

tusken12-1.jpg

I still need to weather him a bit. I also need to rework the breathing thingy that hangs below the chin.

Last edited:
Makes me sad that I scrapped my Tusken Raider when the urge hit to do a Map Room Indy... I still have the head sitting, just need to get the Hasbro figure again for the robe.

Oh yeah, great job Chaka! :D

Makes me sad that I scrapped my Tusken Raider when the urge hit to do a Map Room Indy... I still have the head sitting, just need to get the Hasbro figure again for the robe.

Oh yeah, great job Chaka! :D

Don't bother getting another one, this is one of the few figures that the cloths can be done easy by anyone. A good cloth for this guys robes is cheap stuff and would cost about $1-$3 a yard, or pillage a shirt or pants from a second hand store. The thing that bothers me about Hasbro's is the lack of the outer robe so you could do that too.

Even if you can't sew, their clothes are a good fit for somewhat sloppy hand stitching, and you don't even need hems at the edges because you would want them frayed.

Back