1:6 scale Gonk kit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stellar looking Power Droids, momaw and Dr37! I love the Kenner vibes.:clap

That is great. Love the extra greeblings too. I had delusions of grandeur with this as my first attempt at a kit (or any custom at all really). Long story short, watch those trimming knives. Had surgery yesterday to reattach the nerve I severed. I'd still love to add some LED's like above. Love the Kenner look. Gonk was always one of my favourite Kenner figs. I've got the gentle giant jumbo Kenner Gonk and love it. Where is the switch and I take it they are battery powered?

Holy ****! You mean you slipped and cut a nerve in your finger? And it required surgery?!:horror Hope that's going to heal up to be normal. Where on the finger did you cut?

Nice job ! Don't worry too much about the paint. Looks good to me. Plus they're in a used universe, so nothings perfect.

I agree with Hoody - nice job!

If the gloss paint bothers you, you could always hit the whole thing with a blast of clear dull-coat from a spray can.

If you wanted to rough it up a little, you could take some fine grit sandpaper to it... especially along the edges and raised panels... any place that it might get banged up in the "real world".

Good job especially for your first go! LEDs too! :clap

Stellar looking Power Droids, momaw and Dr37! I love the Kenner vibes.:clap

Thanks for the comments and support guys. Trying to figure out what I try next. Maybe some diorama style bases.

Holy ****! You mean you slipped and cut a nerve in your finger? And it required surgery?!:horror Hope that's going to heal up to be normal. Where on the finger did you cut?

That's exactly what I did. Those x-acto knives are very sharp. I was putting a bit of pressure into a particularly thick bit of excess mould and... slip. Left index finger just below the joint nearest the fingertip. Not only did I sever the nerve but I took a big chunk of bone out. The hospital staff were suitably impressed with my effort to remove my finger :lol Took them three days to get me in for the surgery (as in turn up, wait all day, "sorry, can't fit you in today. Come back tomorrow") which required a general anaesthetic. I'm told I will hopefully get back up to 80% of feeling but there's still no feeling in a section of the finger.

But the worst bit is explaining to my workplace and work colleagues exactly what I was doing to need surgery and a nearly a week off work. They don't get the Gonk love :rotfl

That looks the business momaw. Really like it and the LED's. And the photo story too.

I still have a few Gonks/CHOPS/Mouse droids in hand- these ARE the droids you are looking for! ;)
Thanks-

Are these computer 3D sculpted and printed, then cast, or are they hand sculpted?

Yes- 3D sculpted and hi-res printed, then cast in resin.

Since there are knowledgeable people in the room, I'll ask away...

When you cast, what are the options in materials? Almost everybody seems to use resin, but what about ABS plastic, which is the usual alternative in mass production toys? And why not polystone? Or that material some headsculpts are made of, that is so incredibly light? (I don't know what that is called...)

Anyways, what is the advantage of resin against other casting materials?

Thanks for your input guys.
Best,
m.

Yes- 3D sculpted and hi-res printed, then cast in resin.

Would it be possible to tweak the 3D sculpt to make an OT version of the gonk (like the one seen in the Sandcrawler in ANH, or in Hoth base in ESB) for the next run - the OT version is thinner/taller and has slightly different detailing.

Would it be possible to tweak the 3D sculpt to make an OT version of the gonk (like the one seen in the Sandcrawler in ANH, or in Hoth base in ESB) for the next run - the OT version is thinner/taller and has slightly different detailing.

That would entail new prints/molds and casting costs- so if there's enough interest I could make it happen-

Rusty here is that pic.
VxWKnfo.jpg

Here's a front-on view to show the "face," width of the "waist" strip and angles of the sides:

ZhpVBVS.png

This sculpt is also the basis for the pretty cool looking Hoth gonk droid seen in ESB which Hasbro did a figure of, so there could be a few variations on this sculpt.

DSCN0127.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Updated sculpt attached- let me know if there's enough interest to produce!
Thanks-
Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 12.51.16 PM.jpg

I'd be interested in one.

John

Yeah, I'm in for one too.

Great to see start on the "face" looking accurate. Besides the totally wrong feet, it's another thing nobody seems to notice that HT got wrong - the HT gonk "face" details are more wrong than right.

I might be in for one too, J. The current dimensions look a bit wonky. Also the ?waist? area looks a bit high. Maybe I?m wrong.

I might be in for one too, J. The current dimensions look a bit wonky. Also the ?waist? area looks a bit high. Maybe I?m wrong.

It's partly due to the wonky perspective the rendering program has used - you can see that the undercarriage area almost looks like the bottom edge of the body isn't parallel with the "waist belt" of the top of the body, but it obviously must be the virtual lens distortion making it look that way.

If that perspective distortion is fixed, then we'll be able to judge how the lower torso looks. But yeah, as it stands, it looks like maybe the lower half of the torso is slightly too tall - the upper and lower halves of the torso should be equal but in the rendering the upper half seems shorter/smaller than the lower half. The second pic below shows the body proportions almost distortion-free front elevation view (ie you could almost measure the angles and distances off it.)

Side-by-side, I'd also say:

1. The "face" needs to have more rounded corners and have a bevel added to the inside edge (you can clearly see the bevel running around all the little glued-on greeblies)

2. The "waist belt" needs to be just a bit wider, both in height and depth (it also has a small step down or channel within the top edge - it isn't just a flat return to the torso) You can see the channel detail in the second pic below.

3. All body corners need slightly more rounding, and that large recessed line detail mid way along the lower body is slightly wrong - it needs to be more tapered and fades away before it reaches the waist belt.

4. I know it's still kinda rough, but the toe cuts need to be thinner, the under edge of the feet should be more rounded and the very front of the toes should curve to a flat face. There's some nice foot/toe detail in the second pic below.

Qe65zzu.png

ZhpVBVS.png

Ahh gotcha, and thanks for the side by side Talibane.
I agree... if the model can be tweaked a bit with the details mentioned and be a tad skinnier & taller than the original RustyJ Gonk I?d be in for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back