1:6 scale Gonk kit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Updates underway.
rounded off corners, adjusted side tapers, thickened waist, added bevel, thinned toes on screen left foot, adjusted face shape.
Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 12.53.48 PM.jpg

Updates underway.
rounded off corners, adjusted side tapers, thickened waist, added bevel, thinned toes on screen left foot, adjusted face shape.
View attachment 468370

Looking much better! The green arrows below are pointing to the angled bevel I meant that runs around the inner surface of the "face". The red line is a section through the "face" to show how the bevel steps down. It's unclear if the bevel itself is flat (as I've shown it) or curved a bit as a concave.

vbHdCN9.png

Looking really good!

What about the 2 big cylindrical knobs on (it's right) rear upper panel?

Yeah, Rusty's really nailing this now.:clap

This thing will be more accurate than the HT gonk.

This is getting very close to 100% screen accurate Rusty but here's a few (pretty minor really) notes:

1. The feet curve under on the lower half

2. The body looks like it still needs to be just slightly narrower

3. The "E" looks like it needs to slide up the body slightly. The two "knobs/lamps" in the back also look like they may need to slide slightly higher too.

4. Can't really see yet, but just seeing if the waist belt strip has the channel as seen in the second ref pic

5. The "face" looks like it might need to be slightly wider (it looks a bit too square vs the ref pics) and slightly deeper

One issue might be the view that the computer displays, which isn't quite true perspective (it seems to distort the body somewhat.) Maybe a flat front-on view and flat side-on view as well as the perspective view might be helpful if possible.

(right click the image for a larger view)

zYaJqi5.jpg

Talibane- can you clarify your foot curve note-

(NOTE: RIGHT CLICK TO OPEN LARGER VERSIONS OF THE ATTACHED PICS)

FEET

There isn't perfect ref pics on the sandcrawler gonk feet. This is a colection of the best pics. You can see there is an inward sloped (or slightly curved) aspect to the lowest tier of the feet closest to the floor, on the sides and toward the back:

(front, side and back views of feet, though the last B&W picture showing the back view is not of the sandcrawler droid feet but the details seem to be similar)

tNOetA7.png

Here is the feet for the Battlefront gonk, which might be correct to sandcrawler gonk (hard to say for sure) but gives a goosd guide for the details and structure of the feet (note how the bottom-most tier of the foot slopes/curves inward somewhat):

4nL7nqT.png

"OTHER SIDE" OF GONK BODY

Here is some reference for the "other side" of the gonk (the side we haven't seen yet.) The HT version seems reasonably correct, though slightly off in element placement and also what they show as two sets of notches on that large disc are actually small fins that stand up off the body (seen more clearly in the left-most pic in the final set of pics below - HT mistook the shadows of these fins for notches)

You can also use these pics as reference for the recessed channel that runs vertically on the sides of lower torso. It tapers narrower as it gets higher up but then ends before it reaches the "waist belt."

9bs5OvM.jpg

'WAIST BELT" AND BACK SIDE

Here is some detail on both the "waist belt" and the back. Note that there a secondary bump-line that runs below the waist belt (also visible on the Hot Toys gonk.)

IlWeQNm.jpg

This could literally be the definitive 1/6 gonk!

Great teamwork guys!

The collaboration of ideas and revamps here are very exciting. I am looking forward to this guy.

TaliBane?s stash of ref files always amaze me! :bow

You've done an incredible job Rusty. Sorry, another image dump for the final feedback.:lol

It would be great if you could post a flat side and front view (as opposed to the perspective or 3/4 views) just to do a final check on everything.

Body rounding

The edges on the body overall still look a bit too sharp. Just a slight amount more rounding on all edges would be good. Here's a couple of ref pics to show overall edges.

48944286017_c6caad2edf_k.jpg

48944094676_c746afd969_k.jpg

Side channels

Red arrows show the channels I mean, that run top and bottom of the torso on both sides. The two side channels currently seem a bit too shallow and also possibly not wide enough where they touch the edge of the body (almost like it needs to be wider at the edges before they begin tapering toward the middle of the torso.)

If you look at the pic just above (the two Hoth gonks, which are same mold as sandcrawler gonk) you can see on the top face of that front gonk just how deep these channels cut into the body. On the full size droid, it looks like it was 1 1/2" or 2" deep into the body, which would be like 1/4" deep in 1/6 scale.

48944086106_ece43f2e5c_k.jpg

Missing "exhausts" detail on rear (plus tweaks to waist and rear ports)

There is one more detail that is missing on the rear - three exhaust ports (marked in red.) Seems like the HT is pretty close and there doesn't seem to be any more reference, though you can see the top of it on the previously posted pics.

Also, minor note but I did notice that it seems like the lower edge/border strip on the "waist belt" is thicker than the top edge/border strip (strips marked in green.)

Also, the two vertical rectangular ports you have already sculpted on the upper rear look like they need to be made deeper, almost double the depth they are currently (see the HT depth in pic below.)

48944277692_143dade91a_k.jpg

Overall height of figure

Some 1/6 gonks I've seen seem too tall. There aren't a lot of great humans-next-to-gonks ref pics, but I found a couple that seem to show the figure should come up to around mid/top of the belly on a 6' person (the 3PO suit is just under 6') These two pics have humans in the same plane as the gonk.

According to my Tama and Sideshow 3POs, that would make the gonk just under 8" - around 7 3/4" - in overall height.

48943532893_d073b466c4_k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back