1:6 scale Gonk kit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
might be all on board for this one. wonder if there will be any feet articulation on this version? i don't know if the HT version will have any.

Maybe some rotation articulation, but probably not 'walking posed' legs

I found a side angle that kind of shows the two bumps on the side of the gonk a little bit clearer. Looks like Hot Toys' "chain" detail isn't quite correct. It's the detail that almost looks like a bicycle chain that links the two bumps (red arrow on the left pointing to it.)

Hot Toys shows it kind of bowed out and almost like a pearl necklace whereas it's straight up and down and looks to be a mechanical chain of some kind.

There's also a metal tab that stands out off each bump (red arrow on the right show the top one, and the little added illustration shows it in green) that's on the top of the upper bump and at the bottom of the lower bump. You can clearly see the shadows they cast in both pics.

Xx5LnED.jpg

Here's the incorrect way Hot Toys did the two bumps and "chain" (red arrow). They also made the bumps way too simple - they clearly have several concentric circles at their bases (see illustration above) and they left off the two metal tabs mentioned above. HT made them two simplistic cylinders with a pearl necklace detail.

p5UmVdm.png

Also, you can see that the "waist belt" almost has a recessed channel in the top surface with a secondary rail running in there (red arrow pointing to it.) Not sure it's worth adding, but it's a cool little detail.

NOTE: This pic also shows the two metal tabs that stand up off the "circle detail" on the gonk's right side (mentioned in the previous post) - they are visible just to the left of the red arrow. It's another detail Hot Toys left out.

VFXvhJB.jpg

While Rusty's already got the "E" on the droid's side very close, what most don't know is there's actually a short shot later in the sandcrawler scene where you see that side of the droid in pretty close to a flat side-on view, so can see the "E" without much distortion. Here's the same image twice, with the e outlined so it's clearer. The red is just the body panel that the "E" is attached to for context.

kTmxzS1.png

Updates attached!
Rounded off edges, adjusted cut ins on sides, curved legs slightly, details on side cylinders-
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 12.37.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 12.37.12 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 12.37.03 PM.jpg

Wow, it's not often that you can say that a custom fig is more accurate than a Hot Toys fig - this is one of those times. Really amazing work Rusty.:clap:clap:clap

The final note I'd mention is there are two small pieces missing from the face (two lower arrows below) and the hole you have currently (upper/third red arrow) isn't quite big enough.

The "face" itself also looks like it needs to be sunk a bit deeper in (on the prop looks like the "face" is sunk into the body a good 2" or more) but it's a bit hard to tell because of the way the rendered shadow is falling.

0FcvnEd.png

Now that you've nailed the gonk, you could think about offering the Hoth base gonk's "donut antenna" to go with it. While the body detailing on the Hoth gonk is subtly different to the sandcrawler gonk, the overall mold - body, legs and feet - is exactly the same, and both gonks are the same gunmetal-grey color. The sandcrawler/Hoth differences are so minor Hasbro (for their "Saga line" figure) simply added the donut antenna to their existing sandcrawler gonk figure.

It'd be a nice swap-out extra for display, and it adds a nice splash of bright color to a somewhat grey figure.

E5Dhz5g.jpg

Lookin great. I like TB?s idea of the ballon antenna accessory too if that is a possibility; I would want a couple of those. Add to one of the original RustyJ Gonks :)

Looks amazing!

Just an OCD thing, but should the side cylinders protrude a little further?

Looks amazing!

Just an OCD thing, but should the side cylinders protrude a little further?

I think they do need to protrude a bit further. This image shows the side view from the movie, then Rusty's WIP sculpt, then the 3/4 view from the movie, and finally the HT sculpt.

CogvI21.png

Interestingly, I think I finally found what those cylinders on the side of the power droid/gonk are - a detail that seems to have evaded toy manufacturers since 1977, all the way up to HT today.:lol My guess is that the prop/costume was lost and LFL licensing has no better reference to offer to clarify it for sculptors.

Shown below is the back of another gonk seen on the Mos Eisley streets, so presumably a gonk built alongside the sandcrawler gonk in the same prop-maker shop, sourcing the same box of greeblies.

I499UQN.png

Side by side with the sandcrawler gonk up close, you can see in the pic below that pretty much all of the details line up (eg. the secondary bolt heads on the flange closer to the body and the squared bracket that supports the two sleeves can just be made out on the blurry sandcrawler gonk pic.)

So there is no "chain" (or "pearl string" as HT has sculpted) - what they are seeing is just two metal sleeves that accepted a cable/conduit protruding from the main cylinder. The sandcrawler gonk just seems to have two of these same cylindrical greeblies, the lower one rotated so that its sleeves line up with the sleeves of the upper cylinder. The two pairs of sleeves are what created the suggestion of a "chain."

Hopefully it's not too late for Rusty to tweak the sculpt to make this accurate - for the first time EVER.:lol

OPt0poy.png

(*note that the whitish blurry shape seen on the actual face of the cylinder appears to just be where a metallic compliance sticker was removed from the greeblie, which seems to be the base of a 1940s ship's passageway "cage" light, so I don't think that should be included because it's just discoloration, not a physical shape.)

One other minor thing I'd mention is the feet need some rounding - both in the horizontal plane (as you look straight down at the feet from above,) shown in the green arrow on the right in the upper pic, and in the vertical plane from the back, where you can see that the under edges of the feet curve under, shown with the green arrow in the lower pic as well as the left green arrow in the upper pic.

The wider blurry pic at the top shows how the lower part of the feet curve under and inward slightly. From a distance, it gives the feet a somewhat rounded look overall.

The red arrows show where the current sculpt is too boxy/squared off in both planes.

GQ7rrVQ.png

I'm on it!
Started pricing Hi-res prints, getting expensive on my out of pocket. Anyone have a hi-res printer.
And/or if I can get deposits for kits, that would also help. Need at least a dozen takers. Thinking $80 neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back