1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Kato jacket just looks quality, and I can appreciate you have to shell out for that.

Having had the Kato jacket, and now the Yunsil jacket, I went with the Yunsil jacket. The Kato was amazing quality, you definitely get what you pay for. The only reason I didn't use it was because it was too thick.

Having had the Kato jacket, and now the Yunsil jacket, I went with the Yunsil jacket. The Kato was amazing quality, you definitely get what you pay for. The only reason I didn't use it was because it was too thick.
That's what I hear. I have the Yunsil Jacket and I have grown to really appreciate how thin it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The fact that it is real leather and looks absolutely stunning when properly treated and weathered outweighs the slight thickness issue for me (which I don't really see anyway!!). Kato all the way for me!!

FullSizeRender.jpg

it's weird, because i find that the Kato and Yunsil jackets are not screen accurate. For me the only good looking jacket is the sovereign, because it's very thin and respects the proportions. Kato's looks like the Crystal Skull jacket, IMO.
I'd love to find the sovereign jacket someday. I'll stick with the HT, for now.

The fact that it is real leather and looks absolutely stunning when properly treated and weathered outweighs the slight thickness issue for me (which I don't really see anyway!!). Kato all the way for me!!

View attachment 360280

This does look really great and the real leather aspect is also a huge plus.

I recently customed a dx05 jacket. I removed the lining, weathered the jacket with acryllics, dullcoted it and was really pleased with the look that I achieved. That was maybe a month ago......after a couple of reposes that jacket has sadly ripped in numerous places and I have had to start all over again on another dx05 jacket (as I can't get hold of anything better right now). I'm being VERY careful with this one.

The Hot Toys jacket has very limited durability and age combined with removing the lining and weathering just made it even more brittle and weak. Plus, the sleeves are too short, and you can't fix that. The sleeves on the Kato have really good length and creasing.

Basically, I'm desperate for a good quality custom!

The other thing to bear in mind, is that no two Sovereign Studios jackets seem to look exactly the same - I believe there were several runs and within each run there were also slight differences, due to the individually hand-made aspect of the garment.

The image below shows the three Sovereign jackets that I have owned: on the left is my Last Crusade Indy, in the middle is my Crystal Skull Indy, and on the right is the one I sold to Inigou, on his Raiders Indy. To me, they all look quite different and may suit different movie looks other than Raiders. My LC jacket is a mid-brown colour and my CS jacket is almost black. I think they both look right for the movies I am using them for, but just bear these variations in mind if you do manage to find one...

F5272947-DB2E-4E84-9625-D0093BE60415.jpg

This does look really great and the real leather aspect is also a huge plus.

I recently customed a dx05 jacket. I removed the lining, weathered the jacket with acryllics, dullcoted it and was really pleased with the look that I achieved. That was maybe a month ago......after a couple of reposes that jacket has sadly ripped in numerous places and I have had to start all over again on another dx05 jacket (as I can't get hold of anything better right now). I'm being VERY careful with this one.

The Hot Toys jacket has very limited durability and age combined with removing the lining and weathering just made it even more brittle and weak. Plus, the sleeves are too short, and you can't fix that. The sleeves on the Kato have really good length and creasing.

Basically, I'm desperate for a good quality custom!

The Kato jacket is a little long in the body, unfortunately, but it doesn't really bother me.

it's weird, because i find that the Kato and Yunsil jackets are not screen accurate. For me the only good looking jacket is the sovereign, because it's very thin and respects the proportions. Kato's looks like the Crystal Skull jacket, IMO.
I'd love to find the sovereign jacket someday. I'll stick with the HT, for now.
I prefer the collar on the Soveriegn, but it is too short overall.

The other thing to bear in mind, is that no two Sovereign Studios jackets seem to look exactly the same - I believe there were several runs and within each run there were also slight differences, due to the individually hand-made aspect of the garment.

View attachment 360301

This is true... but there's a much longer history to Sovereign. He's been making that jacket since 2001. I'm lucky enough to own his first prototype Indy (that I got from Chris King in 2002). Sovereign (Shawn) made many Indys from 2002 all the way until and including replacements jackets for the Sideshow Indy (was that 2009?)... and there are many variations as mentioned.

However, his more recent jackets were terrible. They are too short and made of strange almost paper-bag material. His early jackets (2002-2006) were fantastic and far and away the best. Still are. That's why they are still so sought after. They are properly long below the hip line, have longer sleeves, made with a finer yet very leather-like material (apparently his own design) and have better color, collars and faux zippers.

The one's in all three of your photographs are all the newer jackets I'm afraid. The middle one is closest to the old style (still has the zipper) but it looks like one of his much later jackets where he was making some sloppy changes (likely between 2006-2009) and before he converted to a completely new material for the mass orders he had after Sideshow Indy was released and everyone wanted his famous jacket. He truly short-changed himself by making them cheaper and faster.

If anyone is hunting for a Sovereign, make sure it is an older version (2002-2006), has hidden stitching and has the faux zipper -- all signs that its one of Shawn's good original jackets.

Last edited:
This is true... but there's a much longer history to Sovereign. He's been making that jacket since 2001. I'm lucky enough to own the first prototype that I got from Chris King. Sovereign (Shawn) made many Indys from 2002 all the way until and including replacements jackets for the Sideshow Indy (was that 2009?)... and there are many variations as mentioned.

However, his more recent jackets were terrible. They are too short and made of strange almost paper-bag material. His early jackets (2002-2006) were fantastic and far and away the best. Still are. They are properly long, have longer sleeves, and have better color, collars and faux zippers.

The one's in all three of your photographs are all the newer jackets I'm afraid. The middle one is closest to the old, original style but it looks like one of his last jackets before he converted to a completely new material after 2006 or so.
Honestly didn't know there was that great a variation in the jacket. I know who I'll be contacting if I ever get a chance on getting one. I'd prefer the better quality ones, obviously! Thanks for the info!

Pics please, Wor-Gar.

This is the best one I have and its actually from Chris King...

Again, keep in mind this was Sovereign's very first Indiana Jones figure AND the year was 2001 (2000) when he started... so the things like the oversized hat were state of the art at the time. But note the jacket...

Indiana Jones (Ultimate) Chris King 1.jpg

Even this first jacket was a bit short. He lengthened it in his early follow-up offerings.

The bottom of the jacket should hang almost as low as the sleeves to be correct Raiders jacket.

Again, keep in mind this was Sovereign's very first Indiana Jones figure AND the year was 2001 (2000) when he started... so the things like the oversized hat were state of the art at the time. But note the jacket...

View attachment 360537

Even this first jacket was a bit short. He lengthened it in his early follow-up offerings.

The bottom of the jacket should hang almost as low as the sleeves to be correct Raiders jacket.

Wow, that's a great custom for the time and the jacket does look great! Do you still have that figure set up exactly as when you bought it?

So, the length of the body of the Kato jacket is probably about right for Raiders then?

View attachment 360537

That looks amazing. I haven't seen that in a while. The difference are very obvious and the jacket looked like leather.

That looks amazing. I haven't seen that in a while. The difference are very obvious and the jacket looked like leather.

Yeah, considering the time, everything was really top notch outfit-wise -- the shoes, the pants material (can't tell in that photo), the bag and strap, the whip, the belts... I spent a lot of money back then to get it but it was so amazing in its time. I had never seen anything like it short of the Toys McCoy.

Do you still have that figure set up exactly as when you bought it?

So, the length of the body of the Kato jacket is probably about right for Raiders then?

The figure is in protective storage right now, though this conversation has me wanting to bring him back out. Sometimes, despite accuracy issues, the nostalgia alone makes a figure worthwhile. It's like a glorious relic that Indy himself might track down.

I don't have any of the Kato jackets -- I believe there were two runs -- but only one is the proper longer Raiders length, if that's the one you're thinking of. But I say that going by pictures only.

I had heard a long time ago that Kato was planning a third go at the Raiders jacket but that never materialized.

I really wish he would -- if he could get that material as thin as Yunsil's he would have the superior cut (because Yunsil's jacket is way too short -- that's why I dropped out of that project).

Last edited:
Yeah, considering the time, everything was really top notch outfit-wise -- the shoes, the pants material (can't tell in that photo), the bag and strap, the whip, the belts... I spent a lot of money back then to get it but it was so amazing in its time. I had never seen anything like it short of the Toys McCoy.

The figure is in protective storage right now, though this conversation has me wanting to bring him back out. Sometimes, despite accuracy issues, the nostalgia alone makes a figure worthwhile. It's like a glorious relic that Indy himself might track down.

I don't have any of the Kato jackets -- I believe there were two runs -- but only one is the proper longer Raiders length, if that's the one you're thinking of. But I say that going by pictures only.

I had heard a long time ago that Kato was planning a third go at the Raiders jacket but that never materialized.

I really wish he would -- if he could get that material as thin as Yunsil's he would have the superior cut (because Yunsil's jacket is way too short -- that's why I dropped out of that project).
Your right about some of the jackets. I'm actually having geewhizcustoms make a raiders outfit for me. I had to send out the yunsil so they get measurements, as much as yunsil set is amazing, it has its inaccuracies like the fit of the pants and as you stated the jacket. Hopefully once I get it I will show it with the jnix sculpt.

Back