1/6 Hoy Toys - TMS 087 - The Bad Batch - Clone Force 99: Crosshair

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, this whole mess started with Justin and his crusade to defend Toys Wonderland. Then he recruited all the other “influencers” to dunk on SS and together they all started this NoDOPO movement. And even tho things were getting over produced and there were piles of Marvel figures available after release, it wasn’t till then that a PO would go up like a wet fart and lots of folks were on the NoDOPO train. There were probably enough people DOPOing to keep revenue up at SS, but once they started their merry brigade, that probably brought their revenues to a trickle.

Now SS, theyve never had the visionary leadership to creatively combate all this. They got right down in the mud with those guys, which is par for them as this was not the first fan fight they’ve been in. In as such, they’ve been at a loss to permanently win back their customer base and once again, chose violence. Now this latest course correction of theirs is, in one hand, prodding people to go back to DOPOing, but simultaneously pushing others to purchase from the very retailers that started all this mess.

That’s my 2cents, probably worth less 🍻
I'm not familiar with the SS/Fan "fight", is there a thread to read about it somewhere?

Toys Wonderland strikes me as a force for evil, but what do I know. 🤷‍♀️

If you go in the Toys Wonderland thread, there's plenty of horror stories but there's also a somewhat comical but really sketchy story where they tried to extort payment from Coco over a rewards points glitch on their end.

I never recommended ordering from them because they're just a reseller and have really suspect TOS, but that was the last straw for some here.

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/toys-wonderland.238124/page-24#post-10827736

Bad Batch fans can relate: for a while there things were iffy.

wholeteam.jpg

To me, this whole mess started with Justin and his crusade to defend Toys Wonderland. Then he recruited all the other “influencers” to dunk on SS and together they all started this NoDOPO movement. And even tho things were getting over produced and there were piles of Marvel figures available after release, it wasn’t till then that a PO would go up like a wet fart and lots of folks were on the NoDOPO train. There were probably enough people DOPOing to keep revenue up at SS, but once they started their merry brigade, that probably brought their revenues to a trickle.

Now SS, theyve never had the visionary leadership to creatively combate all this. They got right down in the mud with those guys, which is par for them as this was not the first fan fight they’ve been in. In as such, they’ve been at a loss to permanently win back their customer base and once again, chose violence. Now this latest course correction of theirs is, in one hand, prodding people to go back to DOPOing, but simultaneously pushing others to purchase from the very retailers that started all this mess.

That’s my 2cents, probably worth less 🍻

Is DOPO "Day One Pre Order"? That's all so weird.

When you have a platform, I think it's important to use that to try to help people. And it's unfortunate to fight a campaign to defend a business partner that doesn't really put customers first.

I try to steer clear of all that sort of drama and influencers. I don't know what sort of influence they actually wield in monetary terms. But all that caterwauling probably doesn't amount to much at the end of the day.

There are some other factors at Sideshow that I can't disclose that may have made it seem like they had more of an effect by coincidence. But I don't know the timing of this campaign so I can't say for sure.

I'm very pro US authorized retailer; all the small collectibles shops that work hard and really care about their customers. That's my go to. There are some good Hong Kong sellers to - the legitimate ones, not resellers - but my preference of ordering is always going to be with the US authorized retailers first. It's all based on trust.

I could never recommend people go anywhere that I couldn't trust myself, even if they wanted to pay me to do that.

I'm not familiar with the SS/Fan "fight", is there a thread to read about it somewhere?
It’s a long ago series of ups and downs, ex employees and the like. Not really worth retreading tbh and have the details I’ve forgotten or steered clear of in the first place.

@MyenShi seems like a lot of guys that use to be here are now on the “influencers” Facebook groups. Hell, Joost spend more time there than here now. That’s where all the fan votes live.

@MyenShi seems like a lot of guys that use to be here are now on the “influencers” Facebook groups. Hell, Joost spend more time there than here now. That’s where all the fan votes live.

Well I'm certainly happier being here than somewhere that tries to influence people on the who, how, where and whys of collecting. :lol

Well I'm certainly happier being here than somewhere that tries to influence people on the who, how, where and whys of collecting. :lol
Yeah idk what happened in the innards of SS, but they didn’t handle that whole situation well. And if they were gaslighting to cover something else up, that’s just another sign of not so great leadership IMO.

Yeah idk what happened in the innards of SS, but they didn’t handle that whole situation well. And if they were gaslighting to cover something else up, that’s just another sign of not so great leadership IMO.

If you mean Sideshow going on the offensive a few times, yeah agreed, they didn't handle it well and that wasn't a great look. Ultimately there weren't any good guys in the fight; just people trying to protect their bottom line. Always just comes back around to money, right?

That said, I don't want any part in all of that, but I definitely look less favorably on influencers trying to make a profit if it's through unscrupulous means though.

Agreed, not sure any collectors will be a fan of this going forward.

Especially those that like to wait until the blog photos and in-hand photos come out before making a decision. Something like the OBK Kenobi or Doc Ock from NWH, whose face sculpts were a bit off might have a lot of collectors waiting for it to release to see in-hand reviews, now they might have to pre-order months before the figure comes out just to make sure they secure one.
Welcome to what is like collecting 1/6 outside of the US, where using SSC provides no benefits beyond the after-sales service, which is rarely required. Waiting for blogger pics isn’t really an option if you value securing figures at a reasonable price.

You either pre-order from HK years before a figure comes out or risk paying inflated prices after release or missing out altogether.

The most annoying one is when a figure you PO’d at full price releases via Sideshow and is either a shelf-warmer, overproduced (looking at you, repainted Boba Fett on Throne) or a QC nightmare dud (everything Sideshow makes,) so the price gets reduced dramatically at most places before your seller even receives their stock.

Welcome to what is like collecting 1/6 outside of the US, where using SSC provides no benefits beyond the after-sales service, which is rarely required. Waiting for blogger pics isn’t really an option if you value securing figures at a reasonable price.

You either pre-order from HK years before a figure comes out or risk paying inflated prices after release or missing out altogether.

The most annoying one is when a figure you PO’d at full price releases via Sideshow and is either a shelf-warmer, overproduced (looking at you, repainted Boba Fett on Throne) or a QC nightmare dud (everything Sideshow makes,) so the price gets reduced dramatically at most places before your seller even receives their stock.

That is awful to hear and it sounds like it is just going to get worse with how things are going.

Troopers and characters with helmets are usually a safe bet, but last thing you want is to get Kenobi in and he looks nothing like Ewan McGregor and more like Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski, yet you had to place the order to at least secure the figure at a decent price.

Why aren’t you ordering from Kit? Yeah, you’re paying full price but that’s going to start being the standard now. He’s always fair with his prices and shipping and he will try and help you out if you have an issue with your figure.

There are much better alternatives to Sideshow out there.

Why aren’t you ordering from Kit? Yeah, you’re paying full price but that’s going to start being the standard now. He’s always fair with his prices and shipping and he will try and help you out if you have an issue with your figure.

There are much better alternatives to Sideshow out there.
I don’t use sideshow. Only placed one order there ever for JL Cyborg special edition because I figured that’d be the only way I could get it.
Turns out I should have just waited for it to show up at TBA so I wouldn’t have to deal with the fedex and customs fees.

I buy from KGHobby and Kit.

Back