1/6 Hot Toys - POTC5 - Jack Sparrow Figure (Artisan Edition + Regular) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went above and beyond. Lied about using the bathroom at work so I can get on and preorder the Artisan. They had me on que which was line#536 eventually i got in and managed to preorder one! I'll probably preorder a standard deluxe later also. But this was one I couldn't pass up.
Not all heroes wear capes.
Drink up me hearty!

This photo sold me on the Artisan. Was leaning more towards the regular before it.

y6lszqc.png

Didn't try to get this as I'll probably grab the standard if I feel like it, not much into the franchise save just one character really.
But this is a figure maybe worth getting for the updated headsculpt alone, its on par with artisan Joker, rotj Shaw and artisan Anakin, especially the grinning one.

Glad the super sudden queue and release worked out for a lot of people here, I'm sure a lot more collectors scored this over scalpers, also a 4000 edition size with probably 2k or so up for grabs at Sideshow helps vs the 7-800 umbra trooper snub.

I scored the artisan Joker who was one of very few must haves for me, my list of desirable artisan releases is very short and probably unlikely to happen, but like Joker I'll be all over any artisan OT Luke or updated OT Yoda, Chewie or a new Don Corleone or the hazy dream of a Hot Toys Aliens queen though the OG Neca one is a high bar to pass even today.

And ofcourse a new Davy Jones... then I'll have to get Jack, sorry CAPTAIN Jack to compliment him.

Maybe I'm just not invested enough and Davy Jones is more my jam, but it doesn't feel like Hot Toys is pushing themselves as far as InArt with these Artisan editions.
I'd love an updated Davy Jones. Doesn't even have to be Artisan, just new without being almost fully encapsulated by rubber and some movable eyes to get those good Bill Nighy expressions. With the printing tech HT has available now for fabrics, a lot of the barnacle/sea type textures on his costume could probably be printed onto actual fabric clothing rather than the rubber they previously used.

I agree that HT probably isn't pushing themselves as much as they could but even the use of real leather is nice since even InArt isn't doing that yet to my knowledge.
This photo sold me on the Artisan. Was leaning more towards the regular before it.

y6lszqc.png
That new smirking sculpt is 100% Johnny Depp without a doubt.

Also, the hat in the bottom left corner there looks more like the DX06 hat than the DX15 unless it's just the angle.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 132412.png

Last edited:
Personally I'm happy with my DX15, it's one of their best figures ever and this release is only a slight upgrade...
1663938485851_IMG-20220815-WA0003.jpg

Great for people who don't have one though, If I didn't I'd preorder it instantly. Now PLEASE make Davy Jones 🙏

I signed up for the rsvp on the artisan and they notified me via email after 10am pt. I’m on the east coast so it was 1:02 when the email came in. I’m a little peeved but I got on the waitlist. We’ll see if I get lucky.

Besides the artisan version DX15 still ages fine except for that unsightly diorama, the new one beats zombieshark by ten thousand miles.

Wow, had no idea the pre-order happened. I just assumed there was going to be an email or something letting us know a date & time. I definitely did not receive it if one was sent out. Probably was going to pass anyway but it would have been nice to have the choice.

y6lszqc.png
Looks amazing, I've never had the original Jack Sparrow so I am looking forward to this one!
Although Im not too sure about that name plate, doesn't suit the diorama or something 🤔

Interesting there is no Rum bottle included though even in the " what's included" great choice on using real leather though that's long overdue!

I am very curious as to how the licence for this works? Surely Depp hasn't cut his ties with Disney.

As previously stated I hope this proves to hot toys that we need more from.the franchise a Barbossa for certain but at a minimum a new Davy Jones.

I signed up for the rsvp on the artisan and they notified me via email after 10am pt. I’m on the east coast so it was 1:02 when the email came in. I’m a little peeved but I got on the waitlist. We’ll see if I get lucky.
Yeah same I was in meetings all through that time and didn’t even see the message. Last few times we were at least given a date and time in advance.

I am very curious as to how the licence for this works? Surely Depp hasn't cut his ties with Disney.

He does look to be done with Disney Pirates...

Google: In March 2024, producer Jerry Bruckheimer reaffirmed that the project was in the works, but revealed Pirates of the Caribbean 6 will be a reboot.

Looks amazing, the smiling sculpt really captured an older Depp really well, the neutral one reminds of the DX06 and seems younger, more stylized but still good. Love the base too, to me the Black Pearl's helm is way more iconic to have than a shark and a flag. Love the use of geniune leather for the belts. The omission of a bottle of rum seems like a deliberate choice, likely for the same reason Disney had Hot Toys remove the chalices from Classic Loki.

The only things that kind of bother me are the hat still being inaccurate and oversized and that only the Artisan version has the cloth bandana. But considering how accessible the other versions are I can't really complain, just happy that I finally have the opportunity to add him to my collection, he's been a long time grail for me.

And once again I'll echo everyone else's words, we MUST have a new Davy Jones as well, with a more accurate sculpt, SERS and actual clothing. I see tons of people asking for him on Hot Toys's social media, hopefully they listen. This custom is a good example of what they could achieve now.
1711655494299.png

As far as licensing goes I don't think Depp is seeing a cent from Jack Sparrow merch, during the infamous trial he mentioned Disney owns the character of Jack Sparrow and they are still making merch of Jack and have him in rides despite the fact they have completely cut ties with him. Deep likely signed off his likeness to Disney for DMTNT in a similar fashion to Marvel actors who also sign off their likeness to the mouse when negotiating their movie contracts.

So considering that, this could very well be the last 1/6 Jack for a while and maybe ever if Hot Toys lets the rights expire. Deep's been clear about the fact his relationship with Disney is over, even before what happened he was giving interviews for DMTNT saying it's one of the only movies of his that he watched because he thought it could very well be the last PoTC he filmed and he wanted to give Jack a proper send-off or something along the lines.

I got a first email at 12:05pm EST but it went to junk and I didn't see it. Then another email at 1:02pm EST, but it was waitlisted about 20 minutes later.

Oh well, it's not a grail for me, but a must have for the collection since I don't have a Jack Sparrow. After considering the price difference, I'm ordering a Deluxe.

That price difference didn't make a whole lot of sense to me -- the wool dreads and cloth bandana don't have the same level of visual impact as rooted vs. sculpted Joker, for example -- but I'm happy for the folks who wanted Artisan and glad the Deluxe is there, even though I've got no idea how I'm paying for all these figures (or where I'm displaying them) yet...

Oh man....

But yes, at least you have time to consider now... I'm still not sure furry dreads are worth the additional $100 (but thank god for reward points).
Haha right? I would have been really disappointed had I been dead set on the Artisan. Still not really sure it’s worth the extra. Had the deluxe included an optional cloth bandana I don’t think I would have bothered even trying. The difference in this one is much more minor than previous Artisan editions since those dreads only have so much that can be done with them, plastic or wool. With the bits of hair included on the regular anyway the illusion is that the rest of the hair could be real too.

I’ll be happy either way but sometimes the universe gives you a sign and maybe it was just to wait see on this one. Unlike previous figures either version is a fantastic figure that anyone ought to be happy with, accuracy nit picks aside.

Back