1/6 Hot Toys - MMS664-D48 - Iron Man - Iron Man Mark 3 (2.0 For Real This Time!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine finally shipped from SS. Just in time to take a chunk out of my holiday budget.

mine was delivered today and just had an opportunity to unbox him.

Overall he’s pretty nice. Articulation felt pretty smooth and improved over previous versions I’ve had. He feels heavier than the MK85 and about as heavy if not more than the MK7.

The base is a bit of a let down being cast in what feels like that softer kind of plastic. Same with the exclusive damaged helmet, though the paint apps are nice on it.

The Tony headsculpt is much sharper in the details like the hair, skin texture and wrinkles more so than the Mech Tech 2.0 head despite being the same base sculpt.

If I still had my Mk7 I probably would’ve felt like this was unnecessary as they feel similar.

I don’t like they used clear plastic for the shoulder hinge joints again just like they did for the MK4 and 6. Clear plastic is the most susceptible to stress marks and easier breaking.

Lastly, I know some folks seem to think the shoulder cannons are backwards but I don’t think they are based on the screencap below before they were fired in the scene as well as the way they were done on 1/4 figure. The circular openings match up with the way they are oriented on the 1/6 as well as the pattern on the top surface of the black rectangles.

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0902.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

Final thoughts- not sure I’m going to keep it yet. I sorta feel like this is one of those figures that I’ll only want when I rewatch the movie but otherwise may not stand out to me the shelf. Or maybe I just got burned out by going hard and fast when I bought up so many armors in such a short time the previous year that they all started to feel the same even if the looks are different.

Last edited:
Lastly, I know some folks seem to think the shoulder cannons are backwards but I don’t think they are based on the screencap below before they were fired in the scene as well as the way they were done on 1/4 figure. The circular openings match up with the way they are oriented on the 1/6 as well as the pattern on the top surface of the black rectangles.
I can't say I agree.

See comparison between the ILM test video and the model. There is clearly a ridge in the middle at the top. The gold painted studs while not accurate are most certainly meant to be the front. In addition the gold studs are always facing forward with the other diecast releases on the Mark 4 and 6. Hot toys put them the wrong way around for this Mark 3. The last diecast mark 3 also had the gold facing forward.

Link to the ILM test video for reference

It is a matter of taste I guess but I think it looks better the right way around. The back just doesn't pop as well

Attachments

• Mark3 2.JPG
    Mark3 2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • mark 3.JPG
    mark 3.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_121507.jpg
    20231208_121507.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_121455.jpg
    20231208_121455.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_122928.jpg
    20231208_122928.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I can't say I agree.

See comparison between the ILM test video and the model. There is clearly a ridge in the middle at the top. The gold painted studs while not accurate are most certainly meant to be the front. In addition the gold studs are always facing forward with the other diecast releases on the Mark 4 and 6. Hot toys put them the wrong way around for this Mark 3. The last diecast mark 3 also had the gold facing forward.

Link to the ILM test video for reference

It is a matter of taste I guess but I think it looks better the right way around. The back just doesn't pop as well

I appreciate the additional info but as you said, it’s a matter of taste. Even if you are correct, I don’t like the little gold parts facing front and prefer the blank circles in their out of the box orientation. Also, just can’t really be bothered to go through the trouble of punching the pin out just to flip them around when the effect itself will pretty much remain the same

I appreciate the additional info but as you said, it’s a matter of taste. Even if you are correct, I don’t like the little gold parts facing front and prefer the blank circles in their out of the box orientation. Also, just can’t really be bothered to go through the trouble of punching the pin out just to flip them around when the effect itself will pretty much remain the same

Indeed that's what its all about. As long as we are happy with our purchases

mine was delivered today and just had an opportunity to unbox him.

Overall he’s pretty nice. Articulation felt pretty smooth and improved over previous versions I’ve had. He feels heavier than the MK85 and about as heavy if not more than the MK7.

The base is a bit of a let down being cast in what feels like that softer kind of plastic. Same with the exclusive damaged helmet, though the paint apps are nice on it.

The Tony headsculpt is much sharper in the details like the hair, skin texture and wrinkles more so than the Mech Tech 2.0 head despite being the same base sculpt.

If I still had my Mk7 I probably would’ve felt like this was unnecessary as they feel similar.

I don’t like they used clear plastic for the shoulder hinge joints again just like they did for the MK4 and 6. Clear plastic is the most susceptible to stress marks and easier breaking.

View attachment 677434
View attachment 677435
View attachment 677436

Final thoughts- not sure I’m going to keep it yet. I sorta feel like this is one of those figures that I’ll only want when I rewatch the movie but otherwise may not stand out to me the shelf. Or maybe I just got burned out by going hard and fast when I bought up so many armors in such a short time the previous year that they all started to feel the same even if the looks are different.
Wait why the hell did they make the shoulder missile hinges clear like that? Sticks out like a sore thumb. Could have just been black like the rest of the plastic around it. Bizzare.

Wait why the hell did they make the shoulder missile hinges clear like that? Sticks out like a sore thumb. Could have just been black like the rest of the plastic around it. Bizzare.
The shoulder missiles on the new 1/6 aren't on clear hinges, apologies if that wasn't clear. I was referring to the hinges from the shoulder armor that connect the main upper arm above the bicep. They’re hidden underneath the shoulder armor until you need to articulate the arms. I broke but repaired the one on my old MK6 but was sort of terrified of it on the MK4 so I never even took it out of the box to display. I would've expected a metal joint or at least solid plastic.

The 1/4 scale figure has the missles on clear hinges though by the looks. That's the one in the pic I used for referencing the orientation of the missiles.

Last edited:
Mine arrived, and I'm still unboxing it. Question: Has anyone, anywhere, been able to assemble the two-part base? Iron Monger won't fit. The slot isn't wide enough for the middle pyramid piece. I measured and it's a couple of millimeters (at least) too small. I'm at a loss.

Mine arrived, and I'm still unboxing it. Question: Has anyone, anywhere, been able to assemble the two-part base? Iron Monger won't fit. The slot isn't wide enough for the middle pyramid piece. I measured and it's a couple of millimeters (at least) too small. I'm at a loss.
You need to heat it up with a hairdryer/heatgun. It’s relatively soft/flexible plastic, so a little heat will get it to fit. The thing is, you’ll probably need to heat it up again if/when you want to disassemble it.

You need to heat it up with a hairdryer/heatgun. It’s relatively soft/flexible plastic, so a little heat will get it to fit. The thing is, you’ll probably need to heat it up again if/when you want to disassemble it.
Alright...thanks, I guess lol. I'll have to invest in a heat gun. It does seem like a bit of a pain though, and something that Hot Toys should have fixed. It has stopped me from taking the rest out of the box to inspect.

@gorocketcat A proper heat gun is simply a hair dryer on steroids; don't spend the money on buying one of those just yet. First, try it with your regular hairdryer at home. Use the highest setting, but work slowly, allow the heat the penetrate deep into the plastic before you attempt to work it. Also be mindful you don't actually melt or burn the plastic by holding the output too closely to the plastic itself. Work slowly and test. You will likely find that the heat from a standard blow-dryer is enough to get the job done.

Quick question: is the Battle Damaged Mark VII that was released a while back considered the 'V1' or will they be re-issuing as a 'V2' at some point?

Quick question: is the Battle Damaged Mark VII that was released a while back considered the 'V1' or will they be re-issuing as a 'V2' at some point?
The most recent DC Mark VII is considered one of their best IM figures to date. I don't see it getting upgraded any time soon unless if they do a 1/4 version.

Excellent proportions and the only 1/6 IM figure to have that semi-gloss satin finish. Something I wish they would go back to. This Mark 3 release got close to it.

001.jpg

Yes like mentioned before, the Mark VII is the perfect die cast Iron Man figure. It won't be upgraded, and it was also released not too long ago. If anything it would be more of a re-issue, with no changes. Think of the War Machine MK1 die cast, no 2.0, just a re-release.

The most recent DC Mark VII is considered one of their best IM figures to date. I don't see it getting upgraded any time soon unless if they do a 1/4 version.

Excellent proportions and the only 1/6 IM figure to have that semi-gloss satin finish. Something I wish they would go back to. This Mark 3 release got close to it.

001.jpg

Do you know if the new Mark VI 2.0 is the same mold and proportions as the die-cast Mark VI? Think I read some comments saying they looked the same and it's basically a re-release.

Everything Iron Man will be remade until the end of time.

I'm surprised though we don't have an official Jericho suit or Cave Tony, also a 2.0 of Iron Man 3 Tony.

Got mine recently and am so thrilled with him. With Iron Man being one of my favorite films, I could not wait for this. The paint apps and diecast parts are incredible, and I love how the base is painted. It was pretty difficult to assemble and needed a hair dryer to pop it in. I think it would impossible to take apart, so its safe to assume this Iron Man will never leave my collection. He is a 10/10 and a new grail for me. I surprisingly like it better than the Mk. VII, even though the Mk. VII is considered to be the peak of his suits. Here he is with Whiplash Mk. II and the Mk. VII.

My future display idea is an Iron Man shelf with Mk I, Mk 2, Mk 3, and Mech Test Tony in the foreground.

Screenshot_20240119_083923_Gallery.jpg

20240104_065949.jpg

Back