1/6 1/6: Hot Toys - MMS470 - Black Panther - New Black Panther Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say the sculpt looks soft. Hair just lost tons of detail and the paint, as with most of HT AA figures, just is not as detailed from the factory. That said, I don't think that Nut Piz sculpt is there either. Paint is too dark IMO. Still getting it, but from the reports, the complaints seem very valid, there is an unusual marked falloff from the prototype.
Factory just seems to be like "oh, it's a black character, get the one shade of brown.." and then they go to town on it. Whereas JC still uses the same technique applied to his caucasian and asian HS and mixes in reds, blues, greens to get a dimensional look. Same thing with Anthony Mackie and Don Cheadle gets NO factory love at all! :lol They just don't put the extra effort in IMO.

Oh yeah and go back and look at Nick Fury. JC HS has all kinds of red in it. Looks really good. Factory paint "...grab that trusty shade of HT african american over there...."

Last edited:
You seem very adamant about me getting the Retro Sneaky...what's your angle here my friend...? :dunno

I get 50% of every Retro Sneaky sold.

My 'angle' is that you have it for an avatar and you once PM'd me asking me where I got mine as you were interested and the figure's on my desk so I see it a lot and it stays in my mind – but don't worry, I won't ever mention it to you again.

Not happy in hand. What a disappointment. :gah:

Thanks for posting the video, it's much appreciated, but you need to put the camera on a tripod - or if you haven't got one a pile of books or a box or something. There's no point in uploading in 4K if the camera's waving all over the place.

Also the video is 8 minutes long and you only show the figure from the front. Couldn't you show a profile or move the figure? Again thanks for uploading.

Gotta say the sculpt looks soft. Hair just lost tons of detail and the paint, as with most of HT AA figures, just is not as detailed from the factory. That said, I don't think that Nut Piz sculpt is there either. Paint is too dark IMO. Still getting it, but from the reports, the complaints seem very valid, there is an unusual marked falloff from the prototype.
Factory just seems to be like "oh, it's a black character, get the one shade of brown.." and then they go to town on it. Whereas JC still uses the same technique applied to his caucasian and asian HS and mixes in reds, blues, greens to get a dimensional look. Same thing with Anthony Mackie and Don Cheadle gets NO factory love at all! :lol They just don't put the extra effort in IMO.

Oh yeah and go back and look at Nick Fury. JC HS has all kinds of red in it. Looks really good. Factory paint "...grab that trusty shade of HT african american over there...."

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth of how I feel HT does their AA figures.

Ironically, it looks pretty good in your video

Exactly:lol This is the best view of the sculpt I've seen. Yes it is softer than the prototype, but not by much. I Am Toys videos are usually exactly how the figure looks in person and sculpt is a good to me. I do agree with DCFett though that Hot Toys' African American figures are usually more often than other characters. I'm still more than likely going to use the masked sculpt, but I Am Toys video is tempting me to use Boseman sculpt:dunno

That other sculpt that I Am Toys posted in the video is a joke though. Just because the Hot Toys one is softer doesn't mean anyone that makes harder detail has a better sculpt.

No 3rd Party Sculpt is going to hit Hot Toys level of paint work. It is NEVER going to happen.

So the sculpt is not the prototype, people need to get over that.
98% of all company "Prototypes" do not match the final product.

People have been acting like Hot Toys is phoning it in. I completely disagree with that. It is an insult to J.C. Hong and his team.
They are still the best 1/6 scale company making product today... top to bottom. I would love to see anyone do better AND
be price competitive.

Every company cuts corners to get to their bottom line. That is called BUSINESS, people. It has been said a billion times before,
but again... Don't like it? Don't buy it. When a company doesn't cut corners, you end up with things like $1,000+ XM Statues.

Not every figure will fully appeal to every person, obviously.
But I would take a Hot Toys figure over any other 1/6 figure from any other company every day of the week.

I do buy for the character likenesses, but I can only think of a handful that were actually as good as what Yondu and Hela were, so to me it's not that disappointing that the final product doesn't match the prototype. They rarely do.

Scar Jo is always off (Civil War is I guess the best), Hemsworth is always off (Infinity is the best.. They haven't got one long haired version right yet). RDJr is a lot better than he used to be (the 1/4 scale is naturally my favourite). The first Paul Rudd was pretty good. Still can't quite nail Chris Pratt or Tom Hiddleston. I find it funny that people still think the first Avengers Loki looks the most like him, when none of the sculpts back then were bang on. They all looked like toys back then except maybe the odd release like Jack Sparrow, Joker etc

My personal biggest disappointment with Hot Toys was Commando Arnie, because I would buy every Arnie figure that I could get my hands on if I could. I was lucky to find DX-13 long after it's retail sellout period at a small NZ collectibles store for not much more than typical NZ RRP, and it's about as good as Arnie has ever been.. Commando Arnie was a big drop from the prototype. The only other sculpt I was more disappointed with was Sideshow Nathan Drake. Even though it was a game character and not a real life actor likeness, the drop from the prototype was unforgiveable even by Sideshow standards.

I think constructive criticism is a good thing and demanding that HT take the same care and concern with all the products we buy from them is ok. Most here aren't saying "I don't like it and it looks like sheit" and moving on. Of course HT is the king and it's good to be king, but expectations are also very high up there. I just wonder why all the AA characters are consistently so far off JCs protos. This Chadwick Boseman sculpt is not the first and may not be the last.

That said, this movie killed it this past summer and is up for Oscars previously not awarded to superhero movies. From a business stand point, HT does themselves a disservice by not ensuring that a proper amount of attention was spent on this release, like with Yondu and Hella. The whole of nerdom is waiting on this, should've made sure they didn't pass it to the B-team with the can of "HT AA brown paint"!

Hopefully they learn from the criticism and approach Shuri differently. Though they'd never do it, releasing a revised HS of Chadwick with Shuri ala the old Joker figure, would just be the ****.

I think constructive criticism is a good thing and demanding that HT take the same care and concern with all the products we buy from them is ok. Most here aren't saying "I don't like it and it looks like sheit" and moving on. Of course HT is the king and it's good to be king, but expectations are also very high up there. I just wonder why all the AA characters are consistently so far off JCs protos. This Chadwick Boseman sculpt is not the first and may not be the last.

That said, this movie killed it this past summer and is up for Oscars previously not awarded to superhero movies. From a business stand point, HT does themselves a disservice by not ensuring that a proper amount of attention was spent on this release, like with Yondu and Hella. The whole of nerdom is waiting on this, should've made sure they didn't pass it to the B-team with the can of "HT AA brown paint"!

Hopefully they learn from the criticism and approach Shuri differently. Though they'd never do it, releasing a revised HS of Chadwick with Shuri ala the old Joker figure, would just be the ****.

Somewhat new to hot toys. What happened with the joker? Did they replace people's headsculpts with better sculpts

I'm not a huge Batman collector, that's my brother's realm, but the initial Heath Ledger HS was really bad. When the subsequent DX bank robber Joker was released, it also had an extra suited Joker head in the set to replace the original Joker HS. Had to purchase the DX to get the new HS.

Someone who has a better history on this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I get 50% of every Retro Sneaky sold.

My 'angle' is that you have it for an avatar and you once PM'd me asking me where I got mine as you were interested and the figure's on my desk so I see it a lot and it stays in my mind – but don't worry, I won't ever mention it to you again.

Haha relax my friend, I was only ribbing you. I appreciate the gesture! :hi5:

I'm not a huge Batman collector, that's my brother's realm, but the initial Heath Ledger HS was really bad. When the subsequent DX bank robber Joker was released, it also had an extra suited Joker head in the set to replace the original Joker HS. Had to purchase the DX to get the new HS.

Someone who has a better history on this, please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I owned the dark knight figures I remember the DX11 joker having a good head sculpt which I then replaced on display with the bank robber joker 2.0 non masked sculpt. Maybe that’s what you were referring too? Either way non of hot toys jokers were great to heath ledgers likeness which is why I dumped the line haha especially when you see some of the custom heads on here really like night and day

When I owned the dark knight figures I remember the DX11 joker having a good head sculpt which I then replaced on display with the bank robber joker 2.0 non masked sculpt. Maybe that’s what you were referring too? Either way non of hot toys jokers were great to heath ledgers likeness which is why I dumped the line haha especially when you see some of the custom heads on here really like night and day

s-l1600.jpg

I think he's talking about this. Hot Toys went on to include a better head sculpt with the initial bank robber joker that most people used to replace their head sculpt from the pictured figure

Back