1/6 Hot Toys - MMS411 - GOTG Vol.2 - Rocket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god, please stop with the fur already. :rotfl He'd look horrible, Chewbacca looks horrible when the 'fur' isn't 'styled', I don't want to see that on Rocket.

Popcultcha have him listed for a limited time pre-order reduced price guarantee. About $50NZ between the two versions, which is a bit for a gun and a head sculpt considering the deluxe will cost the around the same as Star Lord. I like Rocket, but this sort of figure for me, like the mini-Groot would be more of an accessory to complete the set, like the Ultron accessories that come with both the AoU Iron Mans.

I just can't get past peoples "he's smaller so he should be cheaper" logic on this one. Do people really think these things cost so much because of the high value of plastic? At this scale a mold is a mold. He comes with two head sculpts, three guns, a jet pack, and a companion figure. First release Rocket had one gun, one head sculpt. Price seems totally fair.

:dunno

It's a perception thing. Rocket is TINY. He comes with a lot of accessories, sure, but I'm used to getting 6" figures for a lot less than 12" ones. Doesn't mean that a lot of work wasn't put into it, doesn't mean that they didn't have to do all the manufacturing that larger figures do, but there's still the feeling that since it's half the size of a normal Hot Toy, it should be... uh, half the price, unrealistic as that is.

Simply overpriced.

This. I don't need to know how the bread is made, all I care about is whether the end product is worth the price. I don't see how any rational person could look at the deluxe version of this figure and then, for example, compare it to the upcoming Doctor Strange figure and see how they should even remotely, REMOTELY, be comparable in price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

200+ posts of "It costs too much"

Another day at SSF....

There's so much "crying wolf" on these forums about high prices that it has basically lost all meaning as a complaint for when something actually IS clearly overpriced. The only two things I've seen in the past year that I thought were legitimately, clearly overpriced have been this Rocket and the reissued SS Han Solo in Carbonite.

Sad thing is that it's not even Hot Toys' who just puts that price tag on this figure, it's Sideshow. HT made him a tad bit more expensive than the old one but then SS just goes "aw lets jack it up another notch" and that's the awful thing.

When all is said and done, what do you guys think we will see Rocket going for on the market or aftermarket once the figure is released? Fair to say the first Rocket will go for peanuts on the aftermarket.

I'd argue $150-180 for the deluxe pack seems about right for a beautifully detailed second sculpted head in addition to one of the best gun accessories Hot Toys have made. With the popularity of this movie, I honestly don't see them shelf warming anyway as a lot of people skipped on the first release.

When all is said and done, what do you guys think we will see Rocket going for on the market or aftermarket once the figure is released? Fair to say the first Rocket will go for peanuts on the aftermarket.

I'd argue $150-180 for the deluxe pack seems about right for a beautifully detailed second sculpted head in addition to one of the best gun accessories Hot Toys have made. With the popularity of this movie, I honestly don't see them shelf warming anyway as a lot of people skipped on the first release.

I definitely see the first release dropping in price, but I'm not sure if this one will spike. Just look at all the complaining in this thread about the price - I don't see the market deciding that this tiny little guy is worth more than Sideshow thought it was. If anything, I'm expecting to see it up for $20 or so less than what SS has it up for.

Unless the movie is a huge flop, I guess. Then it might end up like the AOU shelfwarmers.

Simply overpriced.

This. I don't need to know how the bread is made, all I care about is whether the end product is worth the price. I don't see how any rational person could look at the deluxe version of this figure and then, for example, compare it to the upcoming Doctor Strange figure and see how they should even remotely, REMOTELY, be comparable in price.

200+ posts of "It costs too much"

Another day at SSF....

There's so much "crying wolf" on these forums about high prices that it has basically lost all meaning as a complaint for when something actually IS clearly overpriced. The only two things I've seen in the past year that I thought were legitimately, clearly overpriced have been this Rocket and the reissued SS Han Solo in Carbonite.

One can make the argument that EVERY Hot Toys release is overpriced now, but as their business is thriving it seems that more often than not the majority of us can still justify the cost to ourselves. But I think comparing the cost of one recent release to another as hypnobrett did is a legitimate approach. I agree that relatively speaking this is overpriced. That said, I preordered it anyway, as I had enough reward points I could apply to bring it down to what I felt was a "reasonable" cost.

I like to know how my "bread" is made. I collect these figures because they are top quality, not because they are economical. If $50 is the make or break for you there are lots of cheaper lines you could collect. Anyone thinking this should retail for around $150 is out of touch with why these figures cost so much in the first place.

I like to know how my "bread" is made. I collect these figures because they are top quality, not because they are economical. If $50 is the make or break for you there are lots of cheaper lines you could collect. Anyone thinking this should retail for around $150 is out of touch with why these figures cost so much in the first place.

Aaaaaand there it is. Sorry, but the "well if it's too expensive for you then maybe you should rethink whether you can afford this hobby" argument gets brought up every time someone complains about price, and it's the laziest counter argument there could possibly be. For some of us, we simply choose not to buy something we think is overpriced out of principle that we don't want to reward business practices we disagree with, not because we can't afford an extra $50.

For me, I just know 100% that this thing will be cheaper on the aftermarket after release, even if it's not until Infinity War or the next GotG comes out.

For some of us, we simply choose not to buy something we think is overpriced out of principle that we don't want to reward business practices we disagree with, not because we can't afford an extra $50.

________

I don't need to know how the bread is made, all I care about is whether the end product is worth the price.

To be fair, if you're not concerned about how something is made, then you aren't really in the position to comment on the actual value of a figure. Manufacturing processes don't scale the way you seem to think they do. Take it from someone who actually works for a Manufacturer that deals with some pretty tight tolerances.

This is one of those situations where expectation meets reality, and its clear your expectation about the perceived value of these figures is in no way congruent with the reality of what goes into manufacturing one of these figures.

I just don't know how you can disagree with business practices that you yourself state you're not interested in learning about.

Aaaaaand there it is. Sorry, but the "well if it's too expensive for you then maybe you should rethink whether you can afford this hobby" argument gets brought up every time someone complains about price, and it's the laziest counter argument there could possibly be. For some of us, we simply choose not to buy something we think is overpriced out of principle that we don't want to reward business practices we disagree with, not because we can't afford an extra $50.

For me, I just know 100% that this thing will be cheaper on the aftermarket after release, even if it's not until Infinity War or the next GotG comes out.

Oh please. You can't come on here crying about $50 and not expect that argument. I for one am very happy to see a better version of Rocket get released and am happy to spend my lunch money on it.

If this had been a bare bones release at the same price point people would be on here complaining about it being a repaint.

In all seriousness if $50 is such a massive deal to you that you feel the need to "vote with your wallet" you are straight up, all day for days, in the wrong hobby. Not trying to be mean, but it is what it is. These are the highest end sixth scale figures you can buy on the planet -- and you pay for what you get.

Everyone has a limit on what they're willing to spend for a given product. No need to get upset because theirs doesn't match yours. At some price point I'm sure everyone here would stop buying. Just because they're the best doesn't mean that they can keepp raising prices and not expect to lose customers :huh

To be fair, if you're not concerned about how something is made, then you aren't really in the position to comment on the actual value of a figure. Manufacturing processes don't scale the way you seem to think they do. Take it from someone who actually works for a Manufacturer that deals with some pretty tight tolerances.

This is one of those situations where expectation meets reality, and its clear your expectation about the perceived value of these figures is in no way congruent with the reality of what goes into manufacturing one of these figures.

I just don't know how you can disagree with business practices that you yourself state you're not interested in learning about.

Except the price of this figure is only marginally higher in Hong Kong than the first release. It is SS that has raised the price, and as far as I know they have nothing to do with the manufacturing of Hot Toys.

Back