1/6 Hot Toys - MMS297 - Star Wars: Episode IV - Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decide you must...

693image.jpg

Wow, there's some sculpt similarities there that I hadn't noticed previously.

It's definitely NOT 1977 Hamill; all doe eyed & naive like with the sandy blonde hair - that's the 1977 vibe.. & this figure from the neck up doesn't have it. :(

I wonder how close to the mark their ROTJ Luke will be.

I'm happy with this one and just PO'd with coupon. Waiting on Leia to become coupon eligible now. Final production shots of Han and Chewie have that at "pass". Will wait for in-hand pics on those but can't see either being saved at this point. I should try and be more optimistic. Vader is still a question mark, although if I do get him it will be with reward points.

Decide you must...

693image.jpg

I went ahead and preordered this, because I also preorderd Han and Chewie and didn't want to miss the storm trooper belt that would match Han's. As for the likeness I think it looks pretty good. It may not look exactly like Mark Hamill happened to look like in ANH, but it definitely looks like Mark Hamill in general. The subtle differences in his face before and after his car accident may be hard to differentiate in creating a head sculpt. I have the Bespin Luke and I like it that this new figure looks like the same person only a little younger. When I look at the sculpt I see Luke Skywalker as played by Mark Hamill.

There are two primary hopes I have for the figure...

One is that its on the same, or similar body, as the HT Bespin. I would like these to look like the same person as far as height and frame too. This may not be the case though when it comes to height, but if not at least it sounds like it will be for a good reason. HT Bespin is listed at 12" H (304.8mm) but the ANH figure is listed at 11" H (279.4mm). It looks like they did this to add height differences between him and Han and Leia. Han is listed as taller at 11.80" H (299.72mm) and Leia is shorter at 10.20" H (259.08mm). This is cool and these figures will look good together at slightly different heights. So if ANH Luke ends up being a little shorter than Bespin at at least hope they have a similar frame.

My second hope is that the fix the lightsaber from the prototype to be ANH movie accurate. It looks like they are just using the Bespin one in the prototype shots, and that's fine for a prototype but the actual figure accessory should be movie accurate.

Bespin Luke is too tall, so one would hope that eventually HT would do one shorter. HT do not have a good track record with relative figure scale, so don't hold you breath for perfection - it sounds already like Han and Chewbacca are both too short.

The body will be different to be sure, if only because of the neck. Bespin Luke's neck is part of the head sculpt and the joint with the body can be hidden by the collar of that uniform. The new Luke will have the neck as a part of the body because of his open tunic. I think the 'slim' build will be correct, just not sure about the height. I do know that if you believe the interwebs, and that Mark Hamill is 5'9", the original slims, like what they used on Jack Sparrow (not Bespin Luke), get you the proper scale height. I am also curious to see the X-Wing body from SS. Whoever gets it closer, will get all my remaining Luke's transported to it.

Bespin Luke is too tall, so one would hope that eventually HT would do one shorter. HT do not have a good track record with relative figure scale, so don't hold you breath for perfection - it sounds already like Han and Chewbacca are both too short.

Yes. Bespin Luke's height is a real irritation. It's the reason I sold the regular and the BD is permanently affixed to the weather vane.

Yes. Bespin Luke's height is a real irritation. It's the reason I sold the regular and the BD is permanently affixed to the weather vane.

It doesn't really bother me that Bespin Luke might be too tall because he is posed next to my SS R2D2 and there is no other human figure near by for comparison in the way I display him. I still think he looks great. ANH Luke will be posed next to Han, Leia and Chewie so some height difference would be appreciated. It doesn't have to be exact, but Leia, Luke, Han, and Chewie should stair-step up, each one at least a little taller than the former, in their corresponding heights. If I planned to get a bunch of ESB versions to display together I would care more about Bespin Luke being too tall, but I am not planning on doing that even if they make them.

Man, it's almost like they did nothing to the Bespin sculpt except nuance the hair a little, open the mouth a tad, & get rid of the PERS. :lol

:monkey1

Man, it's almost like they did nothing to the Bespin sculpt except nuance the hair a little, open the mouth a tad, & get rid of the PERS. :lol

:monkey1
I think the bridge of his nose looks a bit different up near the eye's (pre car accident?) and he does look a bit younger. I like it.

Back