1/6 Hot Toys - MMS285 - Avengers: AOU - Hulkbuster

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, a nice display case definitely makes everything look much better. You're spending a bunch on figures already, might as well get a nice case to show them off. Problem I am having at this point is I'd probably need 5 or more of these. I may eventually look into having someone create a custom display for me. Something like the one below with added lighting on each shelf.View attachment 436740

or this one:
View attachment 436741

Holy cow is that Secret Base? :thud:

Ya the second one I really like too. I actually thought about doing something like that, but I don't have nearly enough figures or the space. My house space is gobbled up by my wife, two girls and animals. I'm lucky I have the garage. If you did something custom like the second picture it shouldn't be too expensive. I'm guessing nothing past $2500 if you did the work yourself. Doesn't look too difficult as its just basically floating shelves with glass attached. What really adds to it is the wood flooring, chairs/table to converse, etc.

Good luck in your choice(s).

I design and build museum exhibits for a living. $2,500 might get you custom cut glass and fixtures for one side. Maybe. The full set up, with glass and lighting included I would spec at $10,000 just for materials. Having someone come into your home and build this for you I'd estimate at at least $25,000.

I design and build museum exhibits for a living. $2,500 might get you custom cut glass and fixtures for one side. Maybe. The full set up, with glass and lighting included I would spec at $10,000 just for materials. Having someone come into your home and build this for you I'd estimate at at least $25,000.

Well my friend someone is overpaying. Too many middle men. I am a General Contractor and $2,500 is a fair estimate considering I said if you did the work yourself.

$10,000 for materials alone? Even if you went with high end stuff (starfire glass/acrylic, exotic wood shelving, automated lighting setup, etc.) I would be hard pressed to see that figure come to fruition. Again, not here to knock you or your estimate, but how many of have done remodels and gotten outrageous quotes and then talked to a friend that could do the work for a fraction of the cost? Toooo much padding in business.

For those that want to pay $25,000+ for that custom case please contact me, I could use another expensive paid vacation =)

Well my friend someone is overpaying. Too many middle men. I am a General Contractor and $2,500 is a fair estimate considering I said if you did the work yourself.

$10,000 for materials alone? Even if you went with high end stuff (starfire glass/acrylic, exotic wood shelving, automated lighting setup, etc.) I would be hard pressed to see that figure come to fruition. Again, not here to knock you or your estimate, but how many of have done remodels and gotten outrageous quotes and then talked to a friend that could do the work for a fraction of the cost? Toooo much padding in business.

For those that want to pay $25,000+ for that custom case please contact me, I could use another expensive paid vacation =)

I buy at cost and we manufacture in house -- I have never over charged in my life. I don't want to get in an argument here, but what you are saying just does not line up with what I know to be true.

That being said, starPHIRE glass is $5 per square foot, rough calculation that is $1600, not including cutting cost or polished edges or off cuts. It is also for fish tanks.

Acrylic is not high end, it's the bottom of the barrel, and is clearly not what was used here. And high end wood by the board foot would easily cost over $2,500 alone, but again that is not what we are talking here.

I stand by my original estimate. Anyone who says he can get this done for you for $2,500 is going to deliver a rickety knock off of what you see in that photo.

I buy at cost and we manufacture in house -- I have never over charged in my life. I don't want to get in an argument here, but what you are saying just does not line up with what I know to be true.

That being said, starPHIRE glass is $5 per square foot, rough calculation that is $1600, not including cutting cost or polished edges or off cuts. It is also for fish tanks.

Acrylic is not high end, it's the bottom of the barrel, and is clearly not what was used here. And high end wood by the board foot would easily cost over $2,500 alone, but again that is not what we are talking here.

I stand by my original estimate. Anyone who says he can get this done for you for $2,500 is going to deliver a rickety knock off of what you see in that photo.

No argument at all. It's nice to have a conversation from different points of views. I think that is the issue these days is bc opinions differs most see it as an argument versus different perspectives. I respect your input and agree that there is a vast range in the dollar amount spent based on materials used. Along with labor which ends up being most of the cost in itself. Yes acrylic can be considered high endish (although cheaper). It really depends on its application (fish tanks especially - its more transparent, almost indestructible and weighs a lot less than starphire glass). Again personal preference here. Every client/bid/build is different. You are catering to their wants along with their budget mostly.

I don't know a single business that buys anything at cost and passes along that same cost to the consumer. Every business that is still in business has a mark up.

I still say you could get something very close to what was shown for around $2,500. Maybe a little more, but nothing close to $25,000+.

Again, like I said doing the work yourself will save you atleast %60 of the costs (labor is what you are paying for, not the materials; in most cases)

Anyone that has had remodeling done to their home knows what I am talking about. They will get several bids and each contractor will be priced differently.

Respectively, I stand by what I did and have said.

Acrylic anything isn’t high end. There’s nothing wrong with acrylic, but it’s not a high end material when considering all the options.

I’d have to agree with Skiller on this one. Getting a picture framed with museum glass runs hundreds of dollars to the thousands depending on the size.

I can see 10K on the materials for the above display depending on what is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acrylic anything isn’t high end. There’s nothing wrong with acrylic, but it’s not a high end material when considering all the options.

I’d have to agree with Skiller on this one. Getting a picture framed with museum glass runs hundreds of dollars to the thousands depending on the size.

I can see 10K on the materials for the above display depending on what is used.

For the record, museum grade acrylic is more expensive than glass. There are different treatments & thicknesses available...
The larger the size acrylic is recommended for safety (and weight), if you go very large with glass you start to get into construction grade materials which isn't really used in a residential setting for personal use by an individual.

It all depends on the industry as to what materials are considered to be higher end or lower end, or, more or less desirable.

Last edited:
Yeah, a nice display case definitely makes everything look much better. You're spending a bunch on figures already, might as well get a nice case to show them off. Problem I am having at this point is I'd probably need 5 or more of these. I may eventually look into having someone create a custom display for me. Something like the one below with added lighting on each shelf.View attachment 436740

or this one:
View attachment 436741

I have to show this to my contractor. Looks to be roughly the same size of my display room. I like the space allocation for the vehicles. Are there any drawing anywhere?

Speaking of cases and spaces, I didn't know that Sideshow started to sell display cases. I saw this ad while perusing Insta and I gotta say this display case actually looks sleek/modern and just up my alley!

At $180 per display case it is certainly a pricey option, and not to sound like a snob but in my opinion, they look way more elegant than a detolf. I'm curious how much the longer ones cost as that one doesn't seem to be available for purchase...

df60-display-case-moducase-904254-03.jpg

df60-display-case-moducase-904254-02.jpg

Speaking of cases and spaces, I didn't know that Sideshow started to sell display cases. I saw this ad while perusing Insta and I gotta say this display case actually looks sleek/modern and just up my alley!

At $180 per display case it is certainly a pricey option, and not to sound like a snob but in my opinion, they look way more elegant than a detolf. I'm curious how much the longer ones cost as that one doesn't seem to be available for purchase...

Note that BBTS has the same case. Cheaper shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have a bunch of different displays on their website. definitely looks better than a detolf, but its also immensely more expensive. what you see in that picture is about $5000.
https://us.moducase.xyz/df-series/

at that price point, i'd compare them to one of the displays2go cases - something like below is around $750 shipped. add some lights and you're at $900.
4d100dfbef63fe02d029f77940ce85ce.jpg

They have a bunch of different displays on their website. definitely looks better than a detolf, but its also immensely more expensive. what you see in that picture is about $5000.

at that price point, i'd compare them to one of the displays2go cases - something like below is around $750 shipped. add some lights and you're at $900.
View attachment 437261
I looked at one of these last year. Its nice but if you put something heavy in the middle not thinking ... that could be a mess. I dont know how durable they are.

View attachment 437261

I don't think it's nearly $5k...I clicked around on that site and looks like for a shelf setup it costs $1,320, which seems relatively reasonable...but then again I have no basis for what high-end display cases/shelves should cost. :dunno

I don't think it's nearly $5k...I clicked around on that site and looks like for a shelf setup it costs $1,320, which seems relatively reasonable...but then again I have no basis for what high-end display cases/shelves should cost. :dunno

$5000 was an overestimate, but that $1320 set is only about 2/5 of what was in the earlier picture. and then the shelves are an extra cost. Considering how much we pay for figures, i think it's definitely reasonable, and it can easily grow along with your collection. The 24" interior cube height might not be so great for Hot Toys though, and cutting in half with a shelf might make it too tight.

I did see that, not a bad setup that's relatively easy to put together with a light source.

Are the lights individually battery powered? If not, would the power source link together when you join the cases?

For the record, museum grade acrylic is more expensive than glass. There are different treatments & thicknesses available...
The larger the size acrylic is recommended for safety (and weight), if you go very large with glass you start to get into construction grade materials which isn't really used in a residential setting for personal use by an individual.

It all depends on the industry as to what materials are considered to be higher end or lower end, or, more or less desirable.

Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been overseas for the past few weeks. There is no such thing as “museum grade acrylic”. We avoid acrylic whenever possible in museum exhibits due to how easily it scratches, how reflective it is, and it is near impossible to protect artifacts from light damage when using it. It is also difficult to clean, which is important when 600,000 kids a year are running through and planting their grubby hands on it.

Back