1/6 Hot Toys - MMS278D09 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 43 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh this is hurting my brain...
Midas, Python, Hot rod, and peacemaker are straight repaints/part swaps of existing molds that require minimum effort to produce, maybe mold maintenance like Motu was saying.

Hot toys didn't have to make new molds at all for them, the only exception would be WM2's chest plate but that's something Hot toys couldve been planning with IP from the start so easy swap out chests.

With a diecast MKII, they need a whole bunch of new molds for the little details like the rivets on EVERY part of the armor.

This is from plastic injection but see this sprue, all made from one mold.
e67e2a6b8cf892088f4a6cb4ec23f0ee.jpg

In order to make these rivets happen, they have to make an entire NEW mold to add those little tiny buggers, which is very costly, especially diecast molds.

Hot toys would make a diecast MKII maybe, but they'll be putting more thought into it than you seem to think they do.

Well sorry if I don't have your so-called "toy engineering expertise". I'm only making a guess based on past HT practices, which seems to point towards the fact that they love to release old figures as new ones if the changes needed to be made are minimal.

Just look at the sheer amount of Ledger & Nicholson Jokers, Batmen and Iron Men that they've released so far. It's only fair to guess based on that fact, that the Mark II will most likely be released as diecast now that Mark III has been made into diecast.

Those figures you mentioned are a lot different then the comparisons of mk3 to mk2. Midas and hot rod are repaints. Same with mk43. Also, they are of unique never done characters. The mk3 was the first iron man armor, and one most people point to as the worst done by HT. So that getting redone isn't a surprise. The joker differences are to one mold, the head. If at all. Batman releases are (up till armory) new unique costumes for the most part. New movie, new licenses. The mk2 difference from the mk3 is massive. May look very close. But that rivet design means huge alterations to 40-70% of the figure. For tooling costs that essentially a new figure. It's not like a new arm or chest plate. And the reuse the rest.

Not trying to pile on man. Can they do it? Yes of course. But it's not simple. And won't be cheap. So the figure would cost any less and may cost more. So hot toys then has to consider if it's worth it to make that figure, or not. My guess, they burn thru the Mk iv, vi,vii first in diecast. Maybe the V. Then the rest of the im3 and AoU suits. Then maybe they bust it out. Doing it at or even close to the mk3 will have some customers that will choose one or the other. But spread them out a few years (or more) apart and you may have that same customer get both.

I think our (at least my) point is....it's not as simple as just a small change.

Lots of things go on. Just because they can do it doesn't mean it's easy. Lots of people do and make lots of things, every day, and some multiple times...but just because it can be done doesn't mean it's easy to do. The usa has been sending people into space since the 1960s. But since commercial space flight was allowed not a single flight has happened. Just because one company/agency does it and it works and they do it consistently doesn't mean it's easy, cheap, or that anyone can do it.

My point from the very beginning was, that we could expect a mark II diecast now that mark III diecast is out. And it was just a guess based on past HT practices.

But somehow you felt the obligation to bring the discussion to such tangents, to the extent that you got yourself confused? Amusing enough.

If you don't want people to comment on your public posts, and it was directed at someone specific and was private you may not understand how this internet thing works any better then hot toys. You could always get a job at the Internet when you finish at hot toys.

Those figures you mentioned are a lot different then the comparisons of mk3 to mk2. Midas and hot rod are repaints. Same with mk43. Also, they are of unique never done characters. The mk3 was the first iron man armor, and one most people point to as the worst done by HT. So that getting redone isn't a surprise. The joker differences are to one mold, the head. If at all. Batman releases are (up till armory) new unique costumes for the most part. New movie, new licenses. The mk2 difference from the mk3 is massive. May look very close. But that rivet design means huge alterations to 40-70% of the figure. For tooling costs that essentially a new figure. It's not like a new arm or chest plate. And the reuse the rest.

Not trying to pile on man. Can they do it? Yes of course. But it's not simple. And won't be cheap. So the figure would cost any less and may cost more. So hot toys then has to consider if it's worth it to make that figure, or not. My guess, they burn thru the Mk iv, vi,vii first in diecast. Maybe the V. Then the rest of the im3 and AoU suits. Then maybe they bust it out. Doing it at or even close to the mk3 will have some customers that will choose one or the other. But spread them out a few years (or more) apart and you may have that same customer get both.

I think our (at least my) point is....it's not as simple as just a small change.

Lots of things go on. Just because they can do it doesn't mean it's easy. Lots of people do and make lots of things, every day, and some multiple times...but just because it can be done doesn't mean it's easy to do. The usa has been sending people into space since the 1960s. But since commercial space flight was allowed not a single flight has happened. Just because one company/agency does it and it works and they do it consistently doesn't mean it's easy, cheap, or that anyone can do it.

First time I'll agree with everything you have just said bro, cheers.

Didn't think about the choosing "the one over the other".

It's like the dilemma people have now with choosing the released MK42 or waiting for the new 43.

Dear all, I only made one guess and that light-hearted guess was based on past HT practices of repainting and ability to make visually small changes on previous releases, and sell them as new ones. I don't know how that guess was adulterated into off topic issues such as a figure's manufacturing process.

So are we not allowed to post our guesses here until it's validated by you so-called experts? Because, frankly, unless you're working with Howard, all you're doing now is guessing.

Dear all, I only made one guess and that light-hearted guess was based on past HT practices of repainting and ability to make visually small changes on previous releases, and sell them as new ones. I don't know how that guess was adulterated into off topic issues such as a figure's manufacturing process.

So are we not allowed to post our guesses here until it's validated by you so-called experts? Because, frankly, unless you're working with Howard, all you're doing now is guessing.

perfectly fine to guess, but when someone explains to you why your guess is wrong or doesnt make sense then eat some humble pie and educate yourself before responding

where was the mk 3 redo right after the 2.0 mark 2?

Spit balling here, but the whole community at the time really thought the MK III redo was inbound when the new sculpt of the II Unleashed was shown. 18 MMS figures later, we got the MK I 2.0, and that really fanned the flames. I think we would have seen the MK III 2.0 sooner had Hot Toys not announced their jumping into Die Cast right around that time. My guess is they put it on ice until their diecast resources were freed up/perfected after Iron Man 3 and then put it into motion.

perfectly fine to guess, but when someone explains to you why your guess is wrong or doesnt make sense then eat some humble pie and educate yourself before responding

So your guess is always right? Gimme a break :lol

Stupid post 1
It'll probably be a convention exclusive, so there'll probably be no issue on overstock.

And out of all 7 armors, II is the easiest to do..just a matter of adding some rivets and a simple repaint..not unlike the 42 & 43

My response
Convention exclusives have never been main movie armors... maybe before people post trying to dismantle my points you could research HT's a bit and see how they do things... :lol

and adding rivets etc is not some "easy" proccess, still requires tooling and mold making for those parts. and if thats the argument your going with then the mk 4 ad 6 is just as likely as they share 92-95% of the same parts...

your response
Dude, chill. In the case of the Mark II, The rivets are only found at the removable chest piece area, so if retooling just one part of a product allows you to sell it as another, then HT would most likely do it, because makes alot of sense from a business standpoint. And none of the plastic releases have been able to accurately capture the metallic sheen of the Mark II armor anyway.

I don't see how this is any different from HT using 1 war machine mould, to not only sell WM, but Iron Patriot and hotrod too, or them using the Mark 42 mould to release 43. Or the Mark VII mould to release Midas.

this is how your guess turned into this discussion

Spit balling here, but the whole community at the time really thought the MK III redo was inbound when the new sculpt of the II Unleashed was shown. 18 MMS figures later, we got the MK I 2.0, and that really fanned the flames. I think we would have seen the MK III 2.0 sooner had Hot Toys not announced their jumping into Die Cast right around that time. My guess is they put it on ice until their diecast resources were freed up/perfected after Iron Man 3 and then put it into motion.

right, so like this discussion where you guys think (dont mean to direct it at you perse) that the mk2 is gunna happen just remeber we thought the same back then :wink1:

It's not that hard to figure out how these figures are made, toy companies have been using these methods for idk how long.

And we are now experts :lol I'm just a kid from Brooklyn

Stupid post 1

My response

your response

this is how your guess turned into this discussion

Yeah all my posts had 1 common topic: After Mark III, out of the first 7 armors, the easiest one for HT to do next is the Mark II.
Only God knows how that turned into a supposed "education" on toy manufacturing by so-called experts.

right, so like this discussion where you guys think (dont mean to direct it at you perse) that the mk2 is gunna happen just remeber we thought the same back then :wink1:

Touche :lol

But remember, and this is admittedly a little apples-to-oranges -- con ex and all -- but if this can come out of no where,

Hot-Toys-Rose-Hill-Tony-Stark-4.jpg

I think it's safe to say so too at anytime could a new MK II

Yeah all my posts had 1 common topic: After Mark III, out of the first 7 armors, the easiest one for HT to do next is the Mark II.
Only God knows how that turned into a supposed "education" on toy manufacturing by so-called experts.

no your lack of education came from this comment

Dude, chill. In the case of the Mark II, The rivets are only found at the removable chest piece area, so if retooling just one part of a product allows you to sell it as another, then HT would most likely do it, because makes alot of sense from a business standpoint.

Yeah all my posts had 1 common topic: After Mark III, out of the first 7 armors, the easiest one for HT to do is the Mark II.

Dude if you don't like what we're saying just leave. We're just telling you it's not that easy and why it isn't that easy.

And IMO the 4 would be easiest after the 6 is released, a lot more parts in common with those two instead of the 2 and 3.

First...guess away. we never said don't. But if u can guess, we can then comment on that public "comment". If u want it private send a pm or write it and throw it on the fridge. Just tried to give you some info from our experience. Which you somehow had an issue with.

Second-it's not a guess. I have in fact worked on sculpting and manufacturing of figures and statues (and other crap) most my life. Even used some of the same manufacturing that hot toys used to use. But even if that where not the case, and I where not friends with three or four of the sculptors and engineers that hot toys uses...most manufacturing is the same. The same basic principles apply. You are comparing paint applications to design elements. Unless you thing the rivets on mk2 are paint. Then that would be where the disconnect is.

I just wanted to give the info and explain how it works so people, you included, do understand how and why and then you may not need to guess as much.

no your lack of education came from this comment

Interesting. That post is still in line with the common topic: after Mark III, easiest armor to do next out of the first 7 is the Mark II.
Nowhere in that post have I ever requested an education on toy manufacturing.

Dude, chill. In the case of the Mark II, The rivets are only found at the removable chest piece area, so if retooling just one part of a product allows you to sell it as another, then HT would most likely do it, because makes alot of sense from a business standpoint. And none of the plastic releases have been able to accurately capture the metallic sheen of the Mark II armor anyway.

I don't see how this is any different from HT using 1 war machine mould, to not only sell WM, but Iron Patriot and hotrod too, or them using the Mark 42 mould to release 43. Or the Mark VII mould to release Midas.

:lol

is the universal smiling for angry... got it

also I suggest you look at the mk 2 and see that the rivets are not on just the chest. again if youre going to respond to me then please take 5 mins to do some research about what youre talking about

Okay, my bad for missing those areas. But if you've seen HT's picture of the breakdown of pieces used in assembling an Iron Man fig, retooling those small areas are small work for them.

But lest this becomes a mark II dc thread, let's get back to the mark 43 topic shall we? Lol

but seeing those pieces doesnt indicate how the molds are layed out and what sprues each of those pieces are on. its far more involved then youre making it out to be, but yes I can move on

But I doubt manufacturing a figure with minimal differences such as that between the Iron Patriot and WM 2.0, Marks II & III, and IV & VI, would be that complex though?

well heres more of the convo... clearly you started conversing on the topic of manufacturing

Back