1/6 Hot Toys - MMS231 - Thor: The Dark World - Loki (Specs + Hi-Res Pictures)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can everyone F off with the "should of got the first one then" remarks, not everyone was able to get the first one, my shops didn't get Loki at all cause he was so popular they never got a chance, yes I could of got it off Sideshow for €320, my hole I'd pay that.

Can everyone F off with the "should of got the first one then" remarks, not everyone was able to get the first one, my shops didn't get Loki at all cause he was so popular they never got a chance, yes I could of got it off Sideshow for €320, my hole I'd pay that.

There were some reasonably priced Avengers Lokis on ebay UK recently. You could pick one up for the same price or less that this one is for.

Not sure if they've gone up now....

You're slightly out with that.
They were only $220 on sideshow.

Headsculpt isn't the only problem...almost $300 for a downgraded Loki? There is less costume details, accesories, hands and probably a new box. Not worth getting this Loki, even more of a costume change to his cell outfit and look would have been nice. Going to be a sad pass on this figure...too bad I really like Loki!

I think I'm in this camp. A perfect HS would go a long way toward convincing me to PO this figure as it did with Hot Toys' TDW Thor, which will be my third (and fourth) Thor figures; however, even with a much improved Hiddleston HS, the price would still be high for the selection of accessories. I paid $213 for Avengers Loki shipped and it came with a helmet, two scepters, two daggers, handcuffs, nine hands, and a muzzle. This one comes with one dagger, six hands, and a full set of shackles and will cost about $14 more if I buy from Alter Ego Comics again... or $47 more than what I paid for Avengers Loki if I pre-order the exclusive from Sideshow, which has just one more accessory than the base figure. What exactly does Hot Toys think warrants the increased cost? Or does Hot Toys just need to improve its profit margins?

All I see is greed.

Someone has their cranky pants on.

Someone has their cranky pants on.

Maybe he does, but the only thing he's wrong about is the price SSC was selling the figure for. It is rather smug to be telling people what they should have done a year ago; maybe he wasn't in a position financially to get Loki v.1. [Speaking in general, not saying you said that.] I sure if he could have gotten one then, he would have.

For the price they are asking for the new one, we should all get a lifesize replica of the movie dagger. That price is just off the chain, considering what you get.

Maybe he does, but the only thing he's wrong about is the price SSC was selling the figure for. It is rather smug to be telling people what they should have done a year ago; maybe he wasn't in a position financially to get Loki v.1. [Speaking in general, not saying you said that.] I sure if he could have gotten one then, he would have.

For the price they are asking for the new one, we should all get a lifesize replica of the movie dagger. That price is just off the chain, considering what you get.

Agreed. Even if the headsculpt is tweaked to perfection, it's still way overpriced in my personal opinion. I'm not going to tell people that they should've bought the Avengers version, but I will say that I'm glad I did. Gone are the days where I feel the need to have every version of the same character from each of their movie appearances.

Add in shipping and my customs.

There were a couple of UK retailers which still had Loki up until around a month or two ago.

I never buy direct from Sideshow because of customs.

I mostly get things from Mothers Basement in the UK now. They get things slower than everyone else due to the time it takes for their supplier to get it to them but I've never had any problems and they are usually okay with prices.

Why does everyone ignore the " prototype shown, final product may be slightly different" they put on every release. This is NOT the final piece. They will fix it especially with all the fan negativity. Price wise there's too many factors that we don't know. But when hundreds maybe even more flippers sell them during pre-order or after they are released for wayyy more, then sometimes I can't blame HTs for raising prices. Plus we have no idea what marvel or DC or other companies are charging for licensing. None of us know or can even guess.

If they fix DW Loki and people can't get Avengets Loki for under $240 then it will be worth it because after market this will be more than $240. But if you have Avengers Loki and they don't fix him to look mind blowing amazing this is probably something you can skip anyway.

I can only speak for myself, I know I didn't tell anyone what they should have done a year ago.

I don't like defending Hot Toys but I can't blame them for increasing their retail asking prices. Collectors are regularly paying anywhere from $350 - $700+ for their products on eBay (or elsewhere), no reason for scalpers/flippers to make the profits when it's Hot Toys doing everything. Anyway, everyone in the hobby knows that Hot Toys price hikes are common so this shouldn't be a huge surprise but I completely agree the lack in accessories and poor sculpt make their asking price that much worse. If they're going to have the gall to ask for this price, they better deliver top tier quality on most fronts (which they did not). Hopefully, they will take notice to that petition and it will snowball enough to get the changes we collectors want.

A sampling of FB comments:

"You must be truly desperate to reveal such a figure."

LOL, this was mine. I didn't manage to catch the first Loki since I was out of funds at the time and I was really hoping this would be my definitive Loki, as the Light Armor Thor that I did preorder.

Unfortunately I can't really justify spending money on this and then hoping for them to fix the sculpt. With their talent and expertise HT should be able to get it right the during prototype stage and then maybe tweak it a bit to improve it. As it is now, they need to resculpt it entirely and that's too much for me. The price hike should lead to improvements not to regression with fewer accessories.

I still think that HT is unrivaled in the 1:6 world and only Carlito is, to my mind, on par with their work, but they completely dropped the ball on this one.

Still, I don't feel bad about it. There's always Thor 3 and if not, they'll make at least 1 figure per year that I will want, buy and be happy with. :)

Why does everyone ignore the " prototype shown, final product may be slightly different" they put on every release. This is NOT the final piece. They will fix it especially with all the fan negativity. Price wise there's too many factors that we don't know. But when hundreds maybe even more flippers sell them during pre-order or after they are released for wayyy more, then sometimes I can't blame HTs for raising prices. Plus we have no idea what marvel or DC or other companies are charging for licensing. None of us know or can even guess.

Flipping is an issue in every area of the collectibles hobby, and the people who do it are almost universally disliked. I have seen arguments over flippers in online forums almost tear hobbies apart. [The model horse hobby comes to mind. That was back in the late nineties though, I have no idea what is going on there now.] The fashion doll hobby also has this problem much worse than the HT fanbase does, believe it or not. There are people who will stay up 24/7 for days or weeks on end, in order to score an entire run of 24 high-end resin dolls, in order to scalp them on eBay for a 4000% markup - and a whole lot of ill-will from everyone else. [And those dolls can be $1000 apiece, and the scalpers buy all 24! The mind boggles!] A lot of high-end doll co's. now have a 1-per-customer rule, in order to foil this problem.

I think this behavior is bad karma, to be honest.

But! To get to the point..... do we really want companies setting prices to match what flippers get on eBay? If so, most of us will quickly be priced out of the hobby. VERY QUICKLY.

Yes these licenses are not cheap, but I don't think that's the problem.... I think they think the Loki fanbase is willing to pay any amount of money. But for that, we'll need a better figure than Loki v.2.

As for its being a prototype that might get fixed, that is fine. I will wait until I see the fix to preorder, much as I did for Cavill Superman.

The Avengers Loki head sculpt was done by Lee So Young.

I wonder why he wasn't involved one this one, I bet he did a few extras with other expressions. They could have used one of those

It's even too bad to be a joke.
Thanks, Henry.
Sadly yes, Yulli did this. Perhaps she's just too tired.. or She's just not a Loki fans. I can't remember who sculpted the first Loki.

Yeah, she is pretty good... I wonder what happened.. :dunno

A sampling of FB comments:

"WTF is this?? I freaking waited for an entire new year! WTF!"

"Take away the long hair and it looks like the T-1000."

" 'I will eat Thor's liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.' " [LMAO]

"Who is this guy in Loki's costume?"

"You must be truly desperate to reveal such a figure."

"looks like an elf from lotr"

OOOUUUUCCCCHHHHHH

That must hurt...

From my experience Mothers Basement is the WORST company I have EVER dealt with, awful service, I'd rather suck a mans nob for this awful Loki than buy the Avengers Loki off them!

They've been nothing but helpful for me.

They always either private message me or call me regarding my orders.

I don't get the remarks here about how people should've bought Loki ver. 1 if they simply wanted a figure of the character. As mentioned before, maybe some people had financial issues or other orders at the time. As for my case, I won't lie in saying that I simply prefer Loki in TDW than Avengers. I had every opportunity to grab the Avengers version, but considering how I found Hiddleston's performance in TDW to be much more compelling, it's what's caused me to wait for HT's take on the character (all the more making the reveal a disappointment). Heck, while I thought he was great in Avengers, I'd still be more willing to go for a King Loki from the first Thor movie than the Avengers version. That said, if for some reason HT decides to leave the prototype as it is (which I honestly doubt at this point with the amount of negativity being thrown around), I've just decided that I'll probably switch his head for Avengers Loki and call it a day (even if he doesn't have the longer hair).

Why does everyone ignore the " prototype shown, final product may be slightly different" they put on every release. This is NOT the final piece. They will fix it especially with all the fan negativity.

So, no one should complain because they will definitely fix it because there is lots of complaining?

Back