1/6 Hot Toys - MMS176 - The Avengers: 1/6th Scale Loki Official Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS176 - The Avengers: 1/6th Scale Loki -MOVIE SPOILERS!

Are there any pics of this unapproved sculpt for the BD MK3? I've never seen it before

attachment.php

Such a shame that sculpt never got approved. Its spot on RDJ. Why would he not let it be produced?? Are they all against any "dynamic expressions"?

Same with the Jack Sparrow smiling faceTM. "Oh no, I'm not sexy enough if my teeth show" Stupid!

I have to admit this figure turned me into a TH fan :lol
and clearly he was part of bringing out this awesome sculpt

Thanks for posting! I vaguely remember this now. Looks pretty awesome!

It kind of makes sense why HT doesn't bother with expressions. Why waste the time when they may already feel like the actor or license holder would rather prefer their face to me blank. With all the figures they've made and ppl they've gone through, I'm sure they kind of get a vibe of what licensors want in the sculpts

Same with the Jack Sparrow smiling faceTM. "Oh no, I'm not sexy enough if my teeth show" Stupid!

While possibly true, Kojun said is was the Disney licensor who was kept changing their mind about the smiling Jack sculpt if I remember correctly. Maybe they couldn't say it was Depp or maybe it wasn't him at all who had final approval :dunno

But I get what you're saying. Many HT sculpts have this "flawless" version of the actor as if they had no imperfections. While these things don't bother me, it's clear that they are there

Last edited:

But I get what you're saying. Many HT sculpts have this "flawless" version of the actor as if they had no imperfections. While these things don't bother me, it's clear that they are there

I think they or their agents have gotten so used to seeing the photoshopped versions of the actor in the papers that they prefer to maintain that illusion across all mediums, instead of allowing for the real actor's face and/or body to show.

I guess that's also one of the reasons (the other being to cut down costs and sell muscle bodies) why 99% of the figures have the bodies of Calvin Kline underwear models. (the exception being Fury)

Such a shame that sculpt never got approved. Its spot on RDJ. Why would he not let it be produced?? Are they all against any "dynamic expressions"?

I have extensive.... background with collecting 16-17" fashion dolls. I own a lot of them. I can tell you that manufacturers are very, very VERY wary of open-mouthed sculpts, or anything even showing teeth at all. The reason is that its very easy to end up with something ridiculous-looking. Not to mention, smiling figures carry a Barbie connotation, and the closer they are to 1/6 scale the more true this is. Look how unhappy some people are with the openmouthed Captain America sculpt! I think it looks great, myself, but people are sooooooooooooooooooooo picky.

Given the quality of the Loki sculpt that we have, I think its a shame that we will most likely never see a smiling Loki sculpt. Hiddelston has a beautiful smile - he smiles, and an entire Internet's-worth of women go weak at the knees - but I can imagine the difficulties inherent in translating that into something everyone would find acceptable.

Good points.

I would also argue that the industry tends to associate open mouths with fashion industry and sex seeing how models always assume the "slightly open mouth" pose when doing a photo shoot.

I can already imagine a bureaucrat somewhere saying : "Open mouth? This are toys, not sex dolls"

I'm one of those that doesn't care for heavy facial expressions on my figures. I just think most of the time it ends up looking silly, though an exception to that rule is possible.

I like a subtle expression - not blank, but not overt either.

I love the Captain America figure overall, but I have to admit to wishing the expression was a little more subtle. I think the sculpt would have benefitted.

we may yet get a more subtle expression between now and release but if not im cool with it

Well yeah they have to get permission to use the actors face. Even if likeness rights are included with the license, i think they still get to give the ok. (I guess kids toys don't have this problem cause the sculpt look so bland) RDJ is the worst with this, cause HT had this awesome sculpt for the Battle Damage Mk3 but he said no and they had to re use the mk 2 sculpt and everyone was pissed :gah:

Oh, I get it!! Thank u! That's pretty lame from RDJ:pfft:

Are we sure it's the actors who decide on the sculpts? I sincerely doubt it since Milla Jovovich said hers looked like a cross eyed fish eye eating inbred or something. :lol Why would she let them release it? :lol

Im fine with dramatic expressions, they just placed it on the wrong character (Cap)

I have extensive.... background with collecting 16-17" fashion dolls. I own a lot of them. I can tell you that manufacturers are very, very VERY wary of open-mouthed sculpts, or anything even showing teeth at all. The reason is that its very easy to end up with something ridiculous-looking. Not to mention, smiling figures carry a Barbie connotation, and the closer they are to 1/6 scale the more true this is. Look how unhappy some people are with the openmouthed Captain America sculpt! I think it looks great, myself, but people are sooooooooooooooooooooo picky.
acceptable.
Darn right I'm picky if I am throwing down $200+ dollars on something. The entire figure looks great to me except that sculpt.

I'm one of those that doesn't care for heavy facial expressions on my figures. I just think most of the time it ends up looking silly, though an exception to that rule is possible.

I like a subtle expression - not blank, but not overt either.

I love the Captain America figure overall, but I have to admit to wishing the expression was a little more subtle. I think the sculpt would have benefitted.

In agreement with you, I prefer neutral expressions on my figures, it seems like when manufacturers try to put expressions on figures, it doesn't look natural...not all, but most.

I cannot believe how great this Loki figure. :yess:

Darn right I'm picky if I am throwing down $200+ dollars on something. The entire figure looks great to me except that sculpt.

It is a sad fact that as prices rise, people are going to raise the expectations-bar higher and higher. This is a thing companies need to keep firmly in mind.

I had no idea actors had the ability to give approval on sculpts, I thought they signed all that away as part of their contract. Obviously RDJ has an agent who knows what he is doing.... must say that I dont care for his open-mouthed sculpt much. From the nose upwards its fine, something about that mouth is off.

You know why I don't mind paying $200 even if everything isn't perfect, because it still looks amazing and is better than anything else out there.

Just compare the Hot Toys Loki to the recent 6" release by Hasbro. I like this figure, and he's great for his price range and scale, but if you want the best you have to step up you know? I'm okay with everything not being perfect, because this is still a combination of art and business. If it was pure art I'm sure everything would be perfect.

Is it okay to post this picture for the comparison? It's my picture.
DSCN3795.jpg

You know why I don't mind paying $200 even if everything isn't perfect, because it still looks amazing and is better than anything else out there.

Just compare the Hot Toys Loki to the recent 6" release by Hasbro. I like this figure, and he's great for his price range and scale, but if you want the best you have to step up you know? I'm okay with everything not being perfect, because this is still a combination of art and business. If it was pure art I'm sure everything would be perfect.

Is it okay to post this picture for the comparison? It's my picture.
DSCN3795.jpg

AWWWWWWWWW........ he's not even in the same universe as HT Loki, but if I saw him on a shelf I would probably buy him, just 'cause.... Plastic cape and all. [Blarg, I hate plastic capes!]

TY for the pic, I was wondering what the Hasbro Loki was like. I cant wait till we get more "real life" HT Loki pix.

I'll take some better pictures and post them in the Marvel Legends thread. I still hadn't sprayed his face with dullcote yet to remove the shine of the plastic. But yeah, Hot Toys is in such a different league that while I don't like inaccuracies anymore than anyone else, I accept that's part of it I guess.

Back