1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, my first impressions of this figure aren’t favorable. It just doesn’t look good to me. However, I also don’t think it’s being given a fair chance. Some better pictures and futzing may go a long way. If it can be futzed to at least look halfway decent, I could personally overlook little inaccuracies such as the dome being slightly too high or low, or a slightly oversized chest box.

Once more and more people start receiving it (provided they don’t cancel), you’ll start seeing more and more pictures and more and more people futzing with it, which will give a better gauge to the potential this figure may have.

If something requires some heavy modding though in order to look good, I don’t consider it a good figure. Modding and simple futzing are two different things to me.

It is the way of things. Months long anticipation can jade an initial reaction.

For instance, I liked TFA when I first saw it. :D

My biggest problems are:

1) the remnant of the widow's peak, and

2) the oversized chest box (which seems like its been a problem on every HT Vader since the beginning).

Should be comparing to ESB stills of Vader.

Just want to sneak back into this thread to try to ease your concern about the chest box, and do so by comparing the ESB figure to ESB movie Vader.

I prefer straight-on photos/shots. So, I took one of the BG_TOYART photos from yesterday and rotated it to compare to a straight-on movie Vader shot. I went to more-than-usual effort to get the scale of the helmet to match. That's why you see the helmet swap in the bottom half; I want to assure that this is a fairly precise scale comparison. I also drew the yellow box around the figure chest box, copied it, and dragged it over the movie Vader.

The chest box size is fine; trust me. You can quibble about the proportions of the body, or how the tunic placement affects the apparent size, but it's scaled properly with the helmet (and key features of the chest armor). The individual components may not be 100% spaced properly, but even someone as OCD as me has no problem with that. I think the chest box is scaled fine.

VaderSwap03.jpg

Some size comparisons, RO vader has ESB gloves on. Apologies Wor Gar they're not professionally shot. [emoji6]
4d62975aa1a1b4b4912263e77e974b5b.jpg

Thank you very much for posting all the photos, Kylo Ren. They are all incredibly helpful. That first one with the two Vaders being shot by the same camera on the same shelf is exactly what I was hoping someone would post here. Can't thank you enough for doing it!

the thing is the nose plug on the RO isn't that noticeable since the nose is the right size

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that. I started to think I was losing it. The photo above that Kylo Ren posted with the two Vaders side by side clinched the nose size thing for me beyond any doubt. Whatever distortion is taking place because of the camera, or the distance, becomes irrelevant when both figures are being shot next to each other in the same photo.

Agree...the mask is a mess...and what makes it even more disappointing is that they'll probably reuse it on the ROTJ version:(

That's my fear. And my expectation now. It's the only explanation for why the ESB has the seams and the back-of-the-head reveal. HT was probably working on ROTJ all along and just decided to make an ESB chest box, put out an ESB figure using the partially-finished ROTJ one, and double-dip that way. My hope is that the reveal face sculpt is so spot-on that it'll be worth getting it. It's not like the other HT Vaders nailed the mask anyway.

I have only had this Vader in hand. Very upset by the facemask coming off in the somewhat comical photos I posted but otherwise he seems like a well made figure. I am exchanging mine through SS because I don't want to glue marks and because it says not to remove the head so a replacement part won't do.

Just want to sneak back into this thread to try to ease your concern about the chest box, and do so by comparing the ESB figure to ESB movie Vader.

I prefer straight-on photos/shots. So, I took one of the BG_TOYART photos from yesterday and rotated it to compare to a straight-on movie Vader shot. I went to more-than-usual effort to get the scale of the helmet to match. That's why you see the helmet swap in the bottom half; I want to assure that this is a fairly precise scale comparison. I also drew the yellow box around the figure chest box, copied it, and dragged it over the movie Vader.

The chest box size is fine; trust me. You can quibble about the proportions of the body, or how the tunic placement affects the apparent size, but it's scaled properly with the helmet (and key features of the chest armor). The individual components may not be 100% spaced properly, but even someone as OCD as me has no problem with that. I think the chest box is scaled fine.

View attachment 424047

Someone posted a similar comparison way back, and yes it looks like a match there. Its so strange that the box seems smaller in so many other places in the film. But absolutely you are correct in that comparison -- and that's the one that will make me feel better about this.

For me it's the helmet to body proportions. He looks really stout, stubby.
Basically the helmet looks to big and throws off the realism.
I think the RO has better helmet to body proportions.

7600552c6a32a86bca743ba7a3c8fc9d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to believe the theories that HT intentionally makes each 1/6 Vader flawed so people will keep buying the next "improved" version.. It sucks for the people who got one with poor qc.

Nice comparisons Ajp. The chest box does look really accurate and close in size there. The masks on the other hand... ;)

Thank you. What sucks for me is that someone said that the chest box doesn't come off of the suit. The chest box and belt are two things I was hoping to get parted out for a custom ESB Vader. :( Both pieces are likely to be the best 1/6 ESB options for a long time to come. But, yeah, as far as the HT masks go . . . well, I've made my opinion clear about those. :lol

Someone posted a similar comparison way back, and yes it looks like a match there. Its so strange that the box seems smaller in so many other places in the film. But absolutely you are correct in that comparison -- and that's the one that will make me feel better about this.

I think part of the problem with the costume on film is that black-over-black obscures the edges of some things. It almost blurs them and creates the illusion of certain things being smaller than they actually are. Once I've seen a clear shot of one prop (like the chest box), then I just concern myself more with how it's scaled with other things (like the helmet and chest armor). Oddly, I've found that black-and-white images are the best for defining the size and shape of Vader costume parts. The photo below is a great example of how the helmet, chest armor, and chest box should look relative to one another.

If those pieces are made scaled properly with each other, then swapping bodies and doing other tricks with the fabric elements on a 1/6 figure can make a big difference in getting it to look like the movie version.

ESB B&W.jpg

VADER.jpg

Not sure why the picture attached so small last time. I added a subtle key line following the upper jaw bar and the tusk does seem to follow this line although on some of the other reference people have shown it seems to follow the lower bar. As others have said... I'm not even sure what's real anymore.

Okay, looking at this my two main concerns are how the helmet and belt sits. No ones been able to adjust the belt due to hows its attached or can that be fixed? What about pulling the head up the peg a little so vader has more neck?

The overall height is good. The issue is they didn't scaled it proportionately. They just scaled legs down and made the upper body the same size.

So instead of the normal complaints about the sculpt or size, I will complain about the shipping!

Got this update today. "A train derailment has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

Welp. Was supposed to get it on Monday but maybe not now. Of all things, I must admit I did not expect train derailment.

-insert Vader "no" meme here-

So instead of the normal complaints about the sculpt or size, I will complain about the shipping!

Got this update today. "A train derailment has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

Welp. Was supposed to get it on Monday but maybe not now. Of all things, I must admit I did not expect train derailment.

-insert Vader "no" meme here-
u beat me by a little bit there. I guess a lot of Vader’s are affected....

I just want to see the belt/codpiece and the chest box properly futzed. I really do think that will be a start in making a vast improvement in the figure’s presentation.

View attachment 424047

Yep. Chest box looks spot on here to me.

At least you guys are getting shipment updates. Had zip nada zero since it left Cali at the start of the week :dunno

Figure looking better and better to me in the recent photos, and RO one looks great too but I prefer the ESB/Rotj look.

Back