1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my mail too. The thing is, should I buy emperor or wait for the Sith version?

Maybe it just wasn't seated properly at the shows, but I do have some concerns about that gap in the tusk rail and gap below the vent triangle if what they're showing is a production figure (which is possible given it ships soon.)

I thought it was just a clean lift-off dome with back of head reveal, not a split-apart facemask? The one they are showing almost looks like a ROTJ reveal split-apart, but maybe both the ESB and inevitable ROTJ versions share the same molds, just glued together on ESB?

I like the new sculpt (finally!,) but the slight gap seems to make the facemask look a bit vertically stretched.

pfCqRL8.png

Guess we'll have the first in hand reports coming from HK and even an "in stock at Hot Toys Secret Base" alert pretty soon.

Yeah it definitely looks like a detachable mask there. Maybe they just wanted to wait and reveal that until after they showed the 1/4 Anakin portrait? So as to not steal that one's thunder at all?

It is strange. But we’ve had evidence of this (full reveal facemask) for months. I don’t mind as long as it looks good when it’s all put together. What is a little annoying though is that it’s very clearly a ROTJ style reveal, with cut tusk tubes. But in ESB the reveal mask (which we never actually see in film) is split above the top tube, thus there are no cuts in the tusk tubes (heck, even in ROTJ, those cuts only appear in the actual reveal scene... they used regular masks for most of the scenes).

Would’ve been really awesome to get an accurate ESB reveal helmet... something I don’t think any collectible company has ever done...

Still, the figure is looking great. I can’t wait to see in hand pics!

I have a feeling that it could be the same mold as mentioned. I wonder when in hand if you pry open the mask the full reveal is there with just the back of the head painted. I myself will not attempt this but somebody else should ;)

I actually want this for the base more than anything. I'd be content waiting for a RotJ Vader but the base would be cool to display him on in that iconic pose.

99% sure no face reveal on this, they would announced it. It's probably just the Rotj mold shown at cons. We will know soon!

The "Jay Leno chin" look visible in those pics aside, I love how they've actually sculpted the correct mesh behind the "teeth" and chin vent instead of that weird holes look on the earlier ANH sculpt. Excited to see in hand pics of this new sculpt - HT stuck with the old ANH sculpt for too long (THREE releases) without much in the way of actual modification. Would have been nice to have seen the mesh redone for the Tarkin two pack.

But yeah - I am really hoping that this release can at least display as a "regular" ESB Vader look - no chin gaps, no tusk tubes cuts, no slightly "stretched" facemask (due to two reveal mask halves have been glued together but leaving slight gap) etc.; the way he looks in the movie.

It does seem we will be getting a ROTJ Vader from HT sooner rather than later though - but it makes sense with the ROTJ Luke shipping.

So much for that special Japanese release they made us pay full price for in advance with a release date of June.

In a way it's relief if they use the same sculpt for RotJ. I can get this one and be done with it without worrying they'll redo the entire head sculpt again

Now for the small remaining thing that bothers be. Anyone else thinks the shape of the eyes is a bit off? Especially when you look at the figure directly face on. It's like they're too slanted upwards or the nose bridge should be higher where it meets the bottom edge of the eye. Maybe it's just the lighting.

the gaps on the mouth don't bother me so much.

and it looks a lot closer to the real Vader than the ANH and R1 figures

Back