1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I absolutely love Agonistes' Vader (using that as inspiration for my custom Vader:clap) but always remember, the JazzInc dio makes Vaders look better because of the accurate ceiling lighting recreating that iconic "striped reflections" look on the helmet/dome that is really important in selling a Vader that looks just like he does onscreen.

Many SW characters are very lighting dependent - Yoda is another one that looks way better with scene-specific lighting - in his case, a harsh bluish top light because that's how he looks onscreen most of the time.

Can I see a picture to that famous Kaiyodo sculpt. I couldn't see pictures before I registered
I recently picked up the Pre-painted version of the Kaiyodo kit... SAM_3743.JPG
Pre-painted is on the right..with red eye lens..for comic book lovers..SAM_3745.JPG

Here's some shots of my custom using the kaiyodo mask and modified Sideshow dome.
View attachment 380112

View attachment 380113
Fantastic looking vader agonistes86:clap

Holy hell, that looks amazing. What’s the recipe??

Thanks, Will. Here you go:

• Mask: kaiyodo
  • Dome: SSC DX (shortened) in most shots, though I've change to hurricane's custom ROTJ since
  • Chest armor: kaiyodo
  • Shoulder bells: SSC DX (shortened)
  • Belt and chest box: SSC DX
  • Codpiece: SSC DX (modified)
  • Boots & shin armor: kaiyodo, with faux leather boot sleeves and straps
  • Cape & tunic: self made
  • Bodysuit: SSC ROTJ
  • Body: upper body from SSC DX, heavily slimmed down, midsection from advanced TT, lower body from Kaustic heroic
  • Gloves: TFA Snowtrooper, with sleeves added (SSC DX suit for top, faux leather for bottom)

Yeah, I absolutely love Agonistes' Vader (using that as inspiration for my custom Vader:clap) but always remember, the JazzInc dio makes Vaders look better because of the accurate ceiling lighting recreating that iconic "striped reflections" look on the helmet/dome that is really important in selling a Vader that looks just like he does onscreen.

Thanks, and fully agreed. The overhead lighting elevates him to another level, and hides some of the flaws of the SSC dome.

I recently picked up the Pre-painted version of the Kaiyodo kit...[/ATTACH]

Wow, I never knew that existed!

Let’s see a side view?

Not sure if you're referring to me or matrix, but here are some side-shots I have.

IMG_1916_2_small.jpg

And close-up of the mask and dome, here using the custom hurricane dome instead of modified SS.
IMG_8000_small.jpg
IMG_8013_small.jpg

I'm not sure I want to shell out for a whole new Vader, but I'm definitely curious what the HT ESB one will look like once released. Will most likely buy some pieces parted out, like the shoulder armor. I just wish HT would retire their current bodysuit and develop a new more accurate. The pronounced puffy ribbing kills the realism IMO.

thanks Agonistes. on my custom vader I used the rogue one body suit as I like the separate parts. Hurricane is doing a reveal mask for me with all new details cant wait to see it all finished up. so my parts go as followed.
•Mask: kaiyodo/ Hurricane painted.
•Dome: hurricane's custom ROTJ as well.
•Chest armor: kaiyodo
•Belt and chest box: SSC DX
•Codpiece: SSC DX
•Boots & shin armor: kaiyodo, and Rogue One vader boots.
•Cape & tunic ANH cape and Rogue One tunic.
•Bodysuit: Rogue Rone 3 piece body suit.
•Body: Rogue one as I`m not talented enough to take bodies apart and configure them all as one.
•Gloves: Hurricane made gloves w/ pleather type leather and Bendie hands inside cloth gloves.

Thanks, Will. Here you go:

• Mask: kaiyodo
  • Dome: SSC DX (shortened) in most shots, though I've change to hurricane's custom ROTJ since
  • Chest armor: kaiyodo
  • Shoulder bells: SSC DX (shortened)
  • Belt and chest box: SSC DX
  • Codpiece: SSC DX (modified)
  • Boots & shin armor: kaiyodo, with faux leather boot sleeves and straps
  • Cape & tunic: self made
  • Bodysuit: SSC ROTJ
  • Body: upper body from SSC DX, heavily slimmed down, midsection from advanced TT, lower body from Kaustic heroic
  • Gloves: TFA Snowtrooper, with sleeves added (SSC DX suit for top, faux leather for bottom)

Thanks, and fully agreed. The overhead lighting elevates him to another level, and hides some of the flaws of the SSC dome.

Wow, I never knew that existed!

Not sure if you're referring to me or matrix, but here are some side-shots I have.

View attachment 380140

And close-up of the mask and dome, here using the custom hurricane dome instead of modified SS.
View attachment 380141
View attachment 380142

I'm not sure I want to shell out for a whole new Vader, but I'm definitely curious what the HT ESB one will look like once released. Will most likely buy some pieces parted out, like the shoulder armor. I just wish HT would retire their current bodysuit and develop a new more accurate. The pronounced puffy ribbing kills the realism IMO.

Dang, brother!!! You should sell those capes...I'd buy a couple. Your Vader looks absolutely gorgeous. Having two nice authentic Stormies near him would really blow my mind.

HT ANH on left, SSC ROTJ on right. The difference doesn't look that huge in the picture, but in person it makes a big difference. It's still far from perfect though, there's still room for improvement.

View attachment 380193

Yeah, I have a couple of the SSC ROTJ suits that I really like, but the one major concern I have is that it feels like the pleather will go sooner rather than later. I know HT has a pretty poor record with pleather, but the HT suit does feel a bit more durable/sturdy. The SSC ROTJ suit feels a bit fragile and... not sure how else to put it but maybe chemically unstable.

Dang, brother!!! You should sell those capes...I'd buy a couple. Your Vader looks absolutely gorgeous. Having two nice authentic Stormies near him would really blow my mind.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

I do like the HT RO cape, but all of the SSC and HT capes have issues to me. Agon's cape looks terrific.

Thanks, man. It's all in the fabric I believe, which is kind of the problem - I bought it about 8 years ago in a fabric store in Germany for a Batman Begins cape. I don't have much of it left unfortunately.
One trick to getting the inner robe to hang nicely is some well placed stitching near the shoulders.

Regarding the stormies, that's the plan. ;) I currently have 2 mint out of box HT Stormies on his side, but once I get in your buckets, I think I'll try my hand at weathering them. Though then I'm thinking that a ANH Vader would look better in that dio with them, and ROTJ Vader should stand next to the Emperor...

IMG_9249_3_small.jpg

Yeah, I have a couple of the SSC ROTJ suits that I really like, but the one major concern I have is that it feels like the pleather will go sooner rather than later. I know HT has a pretty poor record with pleather, but the HT suit does feel a bit more durable/sturdy. The SSC ROTJ suit feels a bit fragile and... not sure how else to put it but maybe chemically unstable.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

I do like the HT RO cape, but all of the SSC and HT capes have issues to me. Agon's cape looks terrific.

Hm yeah I know what you mean, the HT suit does feel more robust. Guess I won't be selling that one yet just in case. :lol

here is a shot with my emperor and my custom vader I took this awhile ago before I got my royal guards.

Nice! Every time I see your Emperor I kind of regret selling my customized one, but in the end of the day, I just wasn't content with him. I'm still holding out hope the HT one turns out better than the current shots make it appear.

Thanks, man. It's all in the fabric I believe, which is kind of the problem - I bought it about 8 years ago in a fabric store in Germany for a Batman Begins cape. I don't have much of it left unfortunately.
One trick to getting the inner robe to hang nicely is some well placed stitching near the shoulders.

Regarding the stormies, that's the plan. ;) I currently have 2 mint out of box HT Stormies on his side, but once I get in your buckets, I think I'll try my hand at weathering them. Though then I'm thinking that a ANH Vader would look better in that dio with them, and ROTJ Vader should stand next to the Emperor...

View attachment 380222

Hm yeah I know what you mean, the HT suit does feel more robust. Guess I won't be selling that one yet just in case. :lol

Nice! Every time I see your Emperor I kind of regret selling my customized one, but in the end of the day, I just wasn't content with him. I'm still holding out hope the HT one turns out better than the current shots make it appear.

Wow that stitching is genius! Just got an iforigno cape and tunic set and been pulling my hair out at getting the folds in the tunics. Going to have to give this a shot.

Getting back to the HT Empire Vader, don't you thing guys the codpiece is riding too high on him?
The crotch part of the pants shows too much. I hope it is just a futzing problem, but it could also be a design problem with the pants. That would be awful.
And then there is that helmet. I'd say it is way too big, almost ridiculously too big. Is it only me, or do any of you also think the same? Could it have to do with the dome being removable? I don't buy that, though. You can go smaller with today's technologies and yet make it removable. But if it is not that, then how come?

The figure is cool. All that has to light up, now does, and I hope accuracy problems have been solved, especially with the mask, body suit, cape and leg armours (the latter as per Michael Crawford). I hope to hear Vader academics in the room chiming in on this.

BUT, those crotch and helmet issues could ruin the show. Even worse, they could go onto ROTJ Vader.
I just can't get it: HT nailed proportions and aesthetics with their 2 previous Vader efforts..... How come they screw them now? OK RO Vader sported a ridiculous codpiece, but I think I read it was screen accurate...

RfC!

Regards,
m.

EDIT: fixing silly grammar mistakes.

I don’t think the dome/ helmet are any larger than their previous releases. Just my eye tho. Here’s my Vader btw since we’re sharing customs lol
5827a3bb3bbb72dcd1109a8a81ded0ec.jpg

Recipe:

Dome- Hasbro Titanium
Mask- Kaiyodo w/ resin tusks
Shoulder- rogue one repainted
Chest and belt boxes- kaiyodo
Belt and buckle hot toys anh
Gloves sideshow rotj
Body suit, shoes, shin armor Rogue One
Cape and tunic iforigno51

Back