1/6 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 452 - Star Wars: Episode V ESB - Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you'll post pictures tomorrow!

Won't get it til late evening (7ish) but enough sun light to unbox, inspect, install batteries and futz a bit.

I think this may be the Hot Toys "Presence" Vader. Seems everyone who has it says it has a real Vader presence to it.

Last edited:
Ive owned:
SS- ANH Vader
SS - ROTJ Vader
HT - ANH Vader
HT - ESB Vader.

^Guess which one is my favorite?! :yess:

Attachments

• IMG_6897.jpg
    IMG_6897.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6895.jpg
    IMG_6895.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 250
Received Vader today. Love the figure, it is my favorite out of my 3 hot toys vaders. My only issue and one i can live with is my tusks seem to point down a bit. Anyone try to fix this? I know it was talked about in the past but not sure I've seen any fixes.

When will Hot Toys enter the modern age and upgrade their lighting mechanics. There are lights with touch controls for less than $5. I never use any of my lighting effects on these figures because the effort is not worth it.

Maybe I am just :impatient:

So does the helmet on this have an unpainted Anakin face/full head inside, or is the head portion limited to just a plug for the back of the head only (for some reason all of Hurricane's custom Vaders had a full head inside no matter whether it was a "full reveal", "part/ESB reveal" or "no reveal" version)?

Curious to see if anyone is able to open the glued joint running along the jawline to turn this into a ROTJ-style "reveal" mask. The glue holding the HT ANH mask together wasn't very strong.

If there is a full head inside and the helmet upper/lower seam can be wiggled apart, we might have a preview of the upcoming HT ROTJ Vader.

So does the helmet on this have an unpainted Anakin face/full head inside, or is the head portion limited to just a plug for the back of the head only (for some reason all of Hurricane's custom Vaders had a full head inside no matter whether it was a "full reveal", "part/ESB reveal" or "no reveal" version)?

Curious to see if anyone is able to open the glued joint running along the jawline to turn this into a ROTJ-style "reveal" mask. The glue holding the HT ANH mask together wasn't very strong.

If there is a full head inside and the helmet upper/lower seam can be wiggled apart, we might have a preview of the upcoming HT ROTJ Vader.

Someone showed the front of the head and its blank. Just the back of the head reveal is sculpted. No face at all.

Incredible turnaround on this figure for most everybody from where we all were last night. :lol

I put a lot of that down to the usual crowd of those trying to justify why they shouldn't get it being extremely vocal until those that do get start to get them in hand. Once that happens the level of hyperbole and chicken little sky falling drops away almost completely in the face on hands on expereince. Must say the last time I saw such a switch in thread directions was Snowspeeder Luke. But that one still carried on for a while as the unavailability of the figure had some feeling the need to perpetually bash it despite the evidence in hand that it was actually a great figure (unmasked sculpt paint job aside).

Here's my contribution for pics. I used to have a Cathode saber but for whatever reason it stopped working. I need to get it replaced at some point.

My opinion of the figure is I absolutely freaking LOVE it!! It has such an awesome presence on the shelf!! So if anyone is still on the fence, jump the **** off now and order! If you love Vader I can't see how you would be disappointed with this figure!!

As much as I love it I do have one complaint. These ****ing batteries and switches to turn them all one. There has to be a better more convenient way of doing this!! It's insane. I think I spend maybe over an hour setting this guy up and dealing with all the lights ********s... But aside from that. Once it's set up...just WOW. Amazing. Love it.

Note: I'm using the thicker SS DX Bladed Lightsaber in the pics.View attachment 424573 View attachment 424575

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great shots and cool pose! -also really dig the ole' VHS of Empire in the display...nice touch!

And yes, now that more video reviews are popping up illustrating the issue, I gotta agree about the approach to the lights/batteries. ..insane!
Gauntlet for light saber arm looks clunky to operate too.

But one of the oddest things is how the helmet is packed - nearly every video review featuring the unboxing shows the helmet loose and flying off as the figure is being removed from the tray. Strange that it's not more securely fastened in the package.

But I digress. .. thanks for the cool shots!

Someone showed the front of the head and its blank. Just the back of the head reveal is sculpted. No face at all.

Yep. Here's the original post with a photo of the blank face:

View attachment 423945
Mask keeps falling off straight out the box. Anyone else get that? Looks like bad glue.

Incredible turnaround on this figure for most everybody from where we all were last night. :lol

Amazing what happens when people who can pose and take pictures can do for a figure right? I am glad I ordered it and can't wait to see it in person myself.

Happens almost every single time. :lol

Currently happening with Justice League Wonder Woman. I give it two weeks before it’s being boasted as the greatest female figure HT has done yet. It’s in the stage of initial blogger pics. Once people start getting it and taking post futzing in hand pictures, the tide will turn.

Super shots and posing D.R.3.7:clap....Man in a suit...

Man, the pictures are flying! :clap

Yes, DR37 has an excellent futz going. You can see the body builder under the suit. Take note.

Thanks fellas!

Any tips on moving the belt down?

Slowly cinch down the belt carefully, getting the belt buckle slightly over the codpiece and at the same time push down on the 2 upper edges to slide the belt boxes over those (hope that makes sense). Go back and forth between buckle and belt boxes to lower the whole belt to where you want it with out breaking anything.
Chestbox battery/switch on back can be cinched down to help too.
I attempted a different route today and undid the belt and it in near impossible to snap back in place on top of the codpiece. Much easier the other way.
Hope that helps :)

Good to see all the Vaders coming in!

Will work on posing at some point, but happy for now having him next to Luke.

View attachment 424552

Helmet looks flipping fantastic here. I’m really liking the blurred saber effect pieces. I’ve always loved doing action poses and I’m a huge sword fighting nerd. I wish they’d do a new ESB Luke with one of those effects to pair with this guy. But only after I’m able to save up enough to afford him...!

ESB Vader had helmet sitting higher then ANH Vader. Liking this figure better the more I look at it.. I agree the lighting mechanics hot toys chose are stone age.. but I appreciate them not going for the wires exposed all over his back option. Still a pain tho, left it alone for now.

20180828_144721.jpg

Regarding the tusk tube seam.. I think rather then doing it along the tubes converging at the tusks for a seamless way to get the reveal head and helmet to mesh they did it like in the scene in episode III when the mask goes on.. I know a lot of the hot toys staff are huge PT fans. I'd rather they not but I'll live with it, figure's almost a 10/10.

Yep. Here's the original post with a photo of the blank face:

Wow, what a great "face" reveal that would have been onscreen in ROTJ.:lol

ESB Vader had helmet sitting higher then ANH Vader. Liking this figure better the more I look at it.. I agree the lighting mechanics hot toys chose are stone age.. but I appreciate them not going for the wires exposed all over his back option. Still a pain tho, left it alone for now.

View attachment 424618

Regarding the tusk tube seam.. I think rather then doing it along the tubes converging at the tusks for a seamless way to get the reveal head and helmet to mesh they did it like in the scene in episode III when the mask goes on.. I know a lot of the hot toys staff are huge PT fans. I'd rather they not but I'll live with it, figure's almost a 10/10.

Awesome pic.:clap

Just got my vader and was wondering if anybody's helmet looks like mine. Don't know if this is Intentional by hot toys or if it's a QC issue.
20180829_000827.jpg

Back