1/6 Hot Toys Iron Man Mark V- REISSUE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m considering getting this since I have the reissue of Whiplash. I think having both of them on the shelf would look pretty great together.

Only other “reissue” I would be in the market for would be the Mk6, just so I could have a brand new one. I bought mine pre-owned and while I don’t normally mind pre-owned figures (many figures in my collection are pre-ownded afterall), something seems different with a pre-wonder Iron Man to me for some weird reason

These reissued figures always seems to have a lack of interest on release. Once that FOMO wears off people realize they never really wanted the figure.

This thing will probably sit in stock for a while like every other reissued Iron Man. That 47 only recently sold out and the 43 which is 7 year old figure now is still in stock.
Pretty much. It’s always a vocal minority clamoring for these reissues, plus Hot Toys likely produces way more than the initial release. This and the 47 are my favorite suits so it has been a little painful to see them relegated to practically TFA Stormtrooper status in the community in terms of how much they are appreciated now. FB is practically crickets about Mk 5 hitting Secret Base. If I was smart I would sell on my Mk 4, 6, and 46 for the current market prices before they get reissued and then pick them all up again for way under retail on the second go.

for folk like me who actually truly wanted it (not fomo) the re-issue is great, though I think keeping re-issues limited to say 2-3 a year as a way of both satisfying demand and funding new figures while not saturating the market is the way to go. If they go all Hasbro on us it will get very frustrating fast. I also missed out on War Machine mk1 diecast first time round so will get that re-issue too.
as for the status symbol collectors who think that other people getting a figure devalues theirs all I have to say is do not collect figures. Go buy art. something 1 of a kind. If the only reason you buy figures is because they are rare and other people can't get them you are in the wrong hobby. I have a figure or two that are rare to the point that only a dozen or two exist and others ltd to 100-300 but I would not care if they suddenly re-released and made in the tens of thousands. I collect because I like the figure and want to display it, not because I see it as some sort of stock investment or symbol of elitism. I would be glad that folk who missed out can get the figure they dreamed of owning.

Pretty much. It’s always a vocal minority clamoring for these reissues, plus Hot Toys likely produces way more than the initial release. This and the 47 are my favorite suits so it has been a little painful to see them relegated to practically TFA Stormtrooper status in the community in terms of how much they are appreciated now. FB is practically crickets about Mk 5 hitting Secret Base. If I was smart I would sell on my Mk 4, 6, and 46 for the current market prices before they get reissued and then pick them all up again for way under retail on the second go.
vocal minority bit I will disagree with, I think given how much the collector base has grown, especially in China, I think more people are buying the re-issues than bought the original releases. on the overproduction part though I absolutely agree, HT definitely overestimated their production runs this past few years. I would definitely sell the MK6 and 46 for sure as you could make a nice tidy profit on those with low risk as they are almost certain to get re-issues or remakes in the not too distant future. If I had them I likely would. It's win-win-win

Been over a year since I ventured into this thread. Some great comments. Surprised there’s no blogger pics yet. Let’s see what ‘changes’ were made.

for folk like me who actually truly wanted it (not fomo) the re-issue is great, though I think keeping re-issues limited to say 2-3 a year as a way of both satisfying demand and funding new figures while not saturating the market is the way to go. If they go all Hasbro on us it will get very frustrating fast. I also missed out on War Machine mk1 diecast first time round so will get that re-issue too.
as for the status symbol collectors who think that other people getting a figure devalues theirs all I have to say is do not collect figures. Go buy art. something 1 of a kind. If the only reason you buy figures is because they are rare and other people can't get them you are in the wrong hobby. I have a figure or two that are rare to the point that only a dozen or two exist and others ltd to 100-300 but I would not care if they suddenly re-released and made in the tens of thousands. I collect because I like the figure and want to display it, not because I see it as some sort of stock investment or symbol of elitism. I would be glad that folk who missed out can get the figure they dreamed of owning.
You also have to know that the larger the run the smaller the price. If you paid for your custom figure at a premium sold to you as less than 50 in the world and now the company is selling thousands for same price, it defeats the purpose of you crowdfunding it essentially. It’s not as limited and price doesn’t justify it. Look at the 47. They made so little it shot up to over $1K in the secondary. People were paying because they would never think HT would make it again only to be made some years later which is now being sold for less than retail. When you come off as a Limited Edition/limited run type collectible company, reissues shouldn’t be made. Now if you missed out and want it that bad, there should absolutely be a premium to pay. Not just rely on said company to remake it. Which is what many are expecting now. That’s now how it should be looked at. Best way I can describe is the sneaker industry. We know the same types of sneakers will be made but in different colors and styles. Yet they sell for a huge premium over retail because that particular shoe won’t be made in that fashion. HT should have the same model. These price points offer a rarer price point that your average person would never buy. Just a bad way to lose your original fanbase to keep making the same figure, but better every few years or so.

DX12 then Armory, now DX19. In a couple years they’ll make another DX Batman and it’ll keep happening. No thanks.

You also have to know that the larger the run the smaller the price. If you paid for your custom figure at a premium sold to you as less than 50 in the world and now the company is selling thousands for same price, it defeats the purpose of you crowdfunding it essentially. It’s not as limited and price doesn’t justify it. Look at the 47. They made so little it shot up to over $1K in the secondary. People were paying because they would never think HT would make it again only to be made some years later which is now being sold for less than retail. When you come off as a Limited Edition/limited run type collectible company, reissues shouldn’t be made. Now if you missed out and want it that bad, there should absolutely be a premium to pay. Not just rely on said company to remake it. Which is what many are expecting now. That’s now how it should be looked at. Best way I can describe is the sneaker industry. We know the same types of sneakers will be made but in different colors and styles. Yet they sell for a huge premium over retail because that particular shoe won’t be made in that fashion. HT should have the same model. These price points offer a rarer price point that your average person would never buy. Just a bad way to lose your original fanbase to keep making the same figure, but better every few years or so.

DX12 then Armory, now DX19. In a couple years they’ll make another DX Batman and it’ll keep happening. No thanks.
Except those upgraded versions (DX12/DX19 etc etc) are exactly the equivalent of same sneaker in different colour you mention.... double standard right there.
as for the first part, If I paid 1,000 for a mk47 then a year later it goes up for order as re-release I would feel a little bitter but not much. I got to own and enjoy the figure for a whole year earlier.
If in 2017 I paid a stupid amount of money for the 2014 SDCC exclusive 1000toys synthetic human test body then in 2023 the company re-releases the figure for original RRP I would be absolutely fine with it despite that initial "dang, I should have waited" reaction because I know just how happy I would be as someone who missed out to have the opportunity to get one.
HT has never been a "limited run" company, they almost never say "ltd edition of 500", that has happened maybe 5 or so times in their history. If you mistakenly thought they were some sort of boutique ltd run company then I can understand your annoyance but the fact is HT is the equivalent of Coca Cola or Microsoft, they are the THE big brand in 1:6, they have the figures sold everywhere. I could (as of last time I went in 2018/2019) walk into 1 of a dozen or so stores in Changchun city (not exactly collector central) and find all sorts of HT figures including long sold out exclusives brand new in box. Same goes for HK of course, Osaka, Tokyo, etc etc in Asia, the US, UK, France, Germany, Spain etc etc etc.
Now, if the example you gave (a custom) was a Scaletta figure produced to only 100 units and he charged 300 USD for it, then 3 years later he decides to mass produce it in the tens of thousands then perhaps I could see your point as such customs are sold are highly limited, custom made figures where once the production run is complete that is it. But even in that case I would just enjoy the joy of those who missed out getting their grail figure.
I do think though that companies should differentiate production runs to keep original runs unique. 1000toys had lines on the back of the Synthetic human neck base to distinguish (making a sub group of collectors who set out to collect 1 from every production run, funnily enough) but I think doing the classic sideshow exclusive method of different colour display stand and/or different packaging would be more than enough.
If the new MK5 comes with different box art that is enough to set it apart but HT could do something like alter the battle damage at a specific point so collectors know which edition they are looking at. That could satisfy both parties (those who want their originals to be unique and rare vs those who want a figure they missed out on)
Edit: as for the bit where you wrote: "You also have to know that the larger the run the smaller the price. If you paid for your custom figure at a premium sold to you as less than 50 in the world and now the company is selling thousands for same price, it defeats the purpose of you crowdfunding it essentially" I agree that larger production runs should mean reduced prices (something I always complain about regarding HT especially) because economies of scale. Unfortunately there are two other big factors that play into it: Elasticity of demand (basically collectors are willing to pay so price stays high) and then the fact that if they did sell the re-releases cheaper the original buyers would feel cheated. every re-release has been more expensive than the original so that is an incentive for folk to buy the first version at release. Secondary market prices I am sorry to say are not (in principle) and should not be considered when pricing re-releases (though in practice they likely do feel confident re-releasing a figure at 50 dollars higher than original price knowing that people were paying 700 more on secondary)

Last edited:
feom justins collection review of the rerelease it looks like the arc reactor has no details, he says it could be a QC issue on his but its something I would look for if I ordered this.

The details are there, it's just not painted silver. I'm guessing they wanted to go for a more opaque look to look like it was on when LED's were off?

Lets see if enough people start a dust-up where they would have to do a limited time chest plate replacement program.

Just got mine and I freaking love it

Gonna take my time to figure out what pose I want it to sit with.
20220610_112800.jpg

With the Mark 3 redux I’m very tempted to get this. Might have a great shot at completing the original hall of armors. Have 6&7, and if HT does a new mark 2 I’d be all in. Would just have to fork out $$ for Mk 4. Just shame the Mk 1 will be a little person next to these others

Back