1/6 Hot Toys Iron Man Mark V- REISSUE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not being snarky at all, but do you/or other collectors like a particular figure more or less based on the price you paid for it?

If you got a screaming deal on something do you like it more?

If you had to pay the after market prices do you like that figure less than if you got a deal on it?

No worries man, an honest question deserves an honest answer.

So for me personally the price certainly does factor into the overall appreciation of a figure...but I think that's like anything in life. You always feel better knowing you were able to secure something valuable for a good or great deal because it reflects that it was a good decision on your part. No one likes to or wants to pay MORE for something, especially when you know what the original base price of it was. And in the instances where you grossly overpay, yes, people get salty about that...it's just human nature. And if you say you don't mind paying more then you're either filthy rich or just a sucker or both.

For context, I entered the world of HT's with my first 2 figures being aftermarket items: the DX12 and DX11 (Batman and Joker). I paid $300 and $500 respectively for each. Since I knew I was late to the game, but because I really wanted to own those figures, I was willing to swallow the bitter pill and pay those exorbitant prices. So after those 2 experiences I told myself that if I was gonna fully commit to this expensive hobby going forward then I would need to get in on the ground floor when these figures release the first time around so I could avoid paying those inflated prices. Because if I had to keep overpaying then this hobby wouldn't be sustainable. So for me it's about getting these figs at or below retail and that's been my mentality ever since.

I hope that sheds some light on my rationale. Feel free to agree or disagree, but that's my approach to this luxury hobby. With all that being said, I'm not a collector who purchases these toys hoping to get a return on my "investment." Oh, no, no, no...I'm not that guy BUT at the end of the day I'm someone who only has a finite amount of resources to dedicate to this hobby and I'm gonna do my best to spend as little as I can...because once again, who wants to pay more for anything when they don't have to and especially when it comes to non-essential material items like TOYS??? :lol

:lecture

So for me personally the price certainly does factor into the overall appreciation of a figure...but I think that's like anything in life. You always feel better knowing you were able to secure something valuable for a good or great deal because it reflects that it was a good decision on your part. No one likes to or wants to pay MORE for something, especially when you know what the original base price of it was. And in the instances where you grossly overpay, yes, people get salty about that...it's just human nature. And if you say you don't mind paying more then you're either filthy rich or just a sucker or both.

For context, I entered the world of HT's with my first 2 figures being aftermarket items: the DX12 and DX11 (Batman and Joker). I paid $300 and $500 respectively for each. Since I knew I was late to the game, but because I really wanted to own those figures, I was willing to swallow the bitter pill and pay those exorbitant prices. So after those 2 experiences I told myself that if I was gonna fully commit to this expensive hobby going forward then I would need to get in on the ground floor when these figures release the first time around so I could avoid paying those inflated prices. Because if I had to keep overpaying then this hobby wouldn't be sustainable. So for me it's about getting these figs at or below retail and that's been my mentality ever since.

I hope that sheds some light on my rationale. Feel free to agree or disagree, but that's my approach to this luxury hobby. With all that being said, I'm not a collector who purchases these toys hoping to get a return on my "investment." Oh, no, no, no...I'm not that guy BUT at the end of the day I'm someone who only has a finite amount of resources to dedicate to this hobby and I'm gonna do my best to spend as little as I can...because once again, who wants to pay more for anything when they don't have to and especially when it comes to non-essential material items like TOYS??? :lol

Well said and I agree 100% =)

I think the important thing is to keep in mind that there is going to be a better version of any major property so just wait for the next scarlet witch rather than shell out $700 or more for the cibil war version.

Its different if you are talking about the superman returns jor el, I doubt we are getting that from hot toys, or the james dean or michael jackson figures.

And this is understandable. We’ve all paid at one point over SRP for a figure we missed out on. That’s the nature of collecting and the hobby. Problem now is HT is countering by reissuing figures and making V2 as well. This was never a thought and 100% of all new collectors are assuming HT will remake all figures again. It’s annoying and kills the collectibility of previous releases. Why buy now when years later they’ll make a much better version? It’s unfortunate but just business. I’m leaning on buying statues like QS since I’m all about limited edition sizes. I like knowing I’m a handful of people around the world that have something truly special and HT is nowhere near this anymore. Used to special owning HT but it’s so mainstream now.

Not being snarky at all, but do you/or other collectors like a particular figure more or less based on the price you paid for it?

If you got a screaming deal on something do you like it more?

If you had to pay the after market prices do you like that figure less than if you got a deal on it?

I think buying figures or any consumer good at a lower price than it’s current price helps justify the purchase more. Gives confidence a sense of investment. Buying something over SRP personally feels terrible but if it’s a necessity or feels like it you’re happy you have it but may regret not buying it earlier at a lower price. But HT has changed that now. Missed out? Don’t worry we’ll make it again for you.

I think buying figures or any consumer good at a lower price than it’s current price helps justify the purchase more. Gives confidence a sense of investment. Buying something over SRP personally feels terrible but if it’s a necessity or feels like it you’re happy you have it but may regret not buying it earlier at a lower price. But HT has changed that now. Missed out? Don’t worry we’ll make it again for you.

And this is understandable. We’ve all paid at one point over SRP for a figure we missed out on. That’s the nature of collecting and the hobby. Problem now is HT is countering by reissuing figures and making V2 as well. This was never a thought and 100% of all new collectors are assuming HT will remake all figures again. It’s annoying and kills the collectibility of previous releases. Why buy now when years later they’ll make a much better version? It’s unfortunate but just business. I’m leaning on buying statues like QS since I’m all about limited edition sizes. I like knowing I’m a handful of people around the world that have something truly special and HT is nowhere near this anymore. Used to special owning HT but it’s so mainstream now.

Your statements are where I am at and agree 100%

The issue(s) I have with Hot Toys is not their product(s) (more recent ones are lacking what their earlier products had) it is their business model. They are oversaturating their own market. Yes business will go up and base price figures will go up as well, but they will not be able to sustain that growth. Aftermarket drives business and keeps those businesses valid. Pretty much everything that has sold out goes up in value, because the demand is there. If you keep on reissuing to meet that demand (which is a small amount of people, but they make the most noise) what do you have left? Unsold stock.

Reissued figures that are still in stock at Sideshow (other vendors are sold out because Sideshow is limiting their stock for greater profits):

Hall of Armors over 2+ years
Mark 50 1.5 years
Mark 47 6 months
Mark43 1 year
Mark 44 Hulkbuster 1 year
Whiplash (just put out, but I have a feeling it wont sell either)
Infiniti War Thor 1.5 years

And this is just Marvel. There has never been a time like this where most of their items are in stock and are not selling out. Even the preorders are not selling out.

Collecting to everyone means something different. Some collect just to have something, others for value, rarity, specialness, whatever the reason there is no wrong way to collect (unless you're a scalper/not a seller who sells for what the market will bear). You can't tell someone they're wrong because they collect differently than you or feel differently than you.

I am moving towards statues, art prints, 1:1 prop collectibles. I like owning something that was hard to obtain and not a lot of other people have. I don't want to look at others collectors (video tours, pictures, etc.) and see exactly what I own just in a different display. I want to see something different, inspiring and think, wow I have never seen that before where can I get it or it looks great, but it is not for me. If we all had the same collectibles (which most of us do, in a detolf) that becomes boring. That would be like all of us driving around in the same black Ford Model T.

If you wanted limited run collectibles then collect something with an edition size. Hot toys has been doing second runs of figures as far back as the ANH character runs from what I can remember.

As far as 2.0 versions and not straight reissues, naturally as the tech and processes get better people will want figures to be revisited. I'd kill for them to revisit stealth suit cap, TFA cap or Indiana jones.

And this is understandable. We?ve all paid at one point over SRP for a figure we missed out on. That?s the nature of collecting and the hobby. Problem now is HT is countering by reissuing figures and making V2 as well. This was never a thought and 100% of all new collectors are assuming HT will remake all figures again. It?s annoying and kills the collectibility of previous releases. Why buy now when years later they?ll make a much better version? It?s unfortunate but just business. I?m leaning on buying statues like QS since I?m all about limited edition sizes. I like knowing I?m a handful of people around the world that have something truly special and HT is nowhere near this anymore. Used to special owning HT but it?s so mainstream now.

The same question can be asked here as well. Does one enjoy a figure less if it is being reissued? People seem to get pissed off easily over these reissues. I wouldn't mind having the Mk6 or 46 reissued as well even if I already have them. An improved version is welcomed as well.

If you wanted limited run collectibles then collect something with an edition size. Hot toys has been doing second runs of figures as far back as the ANH character runs from what I can remember.

As far as 2.0 versions and not straight reissues, naturally as the tech and processes get better people will want figures to be revisited. I'd kill for them to revisit stealth suit cap, TFA cap or Indiana jones.

Updated versions are always welcome. The DX12 is a prime example, it was released in 2012 and the DX19 is supposed to be released in 2022, that is 10 years.
The Mark V original release was put out in 2011 and the diecast version in 2018 (7 years) and now the reissue is due in 2022 (4 years). The Mark 47 was put out in 2018 and the reissue in 2020 (2 years).

When companies constantly reissue and do 2.0s the consumers/collectors become tired of that (Transformers Masterpiece is a great example of this).

Do you upgrade your phone every year? Probably not, why? Because it is the same thing over and over with slight upgrades every year. Do you want to constantly watch remakes of old movies or old shows or do you want something new?

Again this is a personal opinion on why I collected Hot Toys and now am moving on. For those that love the rehashes, reissues, reuse, retools then that is great for you. But I want to have something upgraded only if it needs/warrants it not because they [Hot Toys] see easy money on the table for the taking, (Hot Toys sells out), but the US distributors do not because the demand isn't there (see previous post on figures that were reissued and are still available along with tons of figures and preorders not selling out).

Last edited:
Reissues and figures easily made out of existing parts (i.e. death watch mando) are a large part of how you get newer figures though in terms of giving them the room to make random figures like Alita. I guess I'd understand where you were coming from if your reasoning was more related around the licenses that are being made, but we get a fair bit of variety within their key licenses between reissues. So I guess I just don't really see the problem.

Reissues and figures easily made out of existing parts (i.e. death watch mando) are a large part of how you get newer figures though in terms of giving them the room to make random figures like Alita. I guess I'd understand where you were coming from if your reasoning was more related around the licenses that are being made, but we get a fair bit of variety within their key licenses between reissues. So I guess I just don't really see the problem.

I talked about licensing issues in the past. Hot Toys acquires these licenses with no intention of every making figures from that line (only done so others can't make a licensed figure).

As I have also mentioned I love what Hot Toys puts out (love what I have from them and don't need to sell them because I'm headed in a different direction).

They started outed niche and are becoming apart of the machine (which is the opposite reason why I started collecting them in the first place). It is like a hole in the wall restaurant that you love with a small but delicious menu, service and prices are great and then suddenly they become very popular. They start raising their prices, service becomes lackluster and the food menu becomes larger, but they only make a handful of items, and those items don't taste as great as they once did. That is Hot Toys to me.

Again, every collector feels differently. This does not bother you. No problem. Keep enjoying what they put out. I have been feeling this way for a while and I guess the Mark V is the straw that I couldn't bear anymore (I already have two). Besides, in my collection I like having variety.

To each their own. I appreciate you replies :)

Yeah sounds like you're just kinda burned out on Hot Toys. Best of luck with other collections. There's some really nice statues out there just too rich for my blood.

I'm pretty much an Iron Man only collector. I never was really into statues, but I watched the behind the scenes/making of Iron Man and they had a shot of the Mark I and Iron Monger and then I immediately fell in love.

z.jpg

I'm guessing it is the size and presence it commands. Granted these are one of a kinds. I did pick up Sideshows Maquettes quarter scales of Mark I, II and III which are gorgeous. Thinking about IA's Hulkbuster (space might be an issue).

San Jose is about 35 minutes North of me (I'm in Monterey). Stay safe out there!

I'm pretty much an Iron Man only collector. I never was really into statues, but I watched the behind the scenes/making of Iron Man and they had a shot of the Mark I and Iron Monger and then I immediately fell in love.

View attachment 503153

I'm guessing it is the size and presence it commands. Granted these are one of a kinds. I did pick up Sideshows Maquettes quarter scales of Mark I, II and III which are gorgeous. Thinking about IA's Hulkbuster (space might be an issue).

San Jose is about 35 minutes North of me (I'm in Monterey). Stay safe out there!

Nice :hi5: yeah stay safe out there.

Hopefully the competition they are finally facing will make them focus on actual new and innovative products instead of looking at eBay and reissuing old figures in a cash grab with little effort.

These reissued figures always seems to have a lack of interest on release. Once that FOMO wears off people realize they never really wanted the figure.

This thing will probably sit in stock for a while like every other reissued Iron Man. That 47 only recently sold out and the 43 which is 7 year old figure now is still in stock.

I would not mind having this, but then I feel like I would need whiplash,who is probably laughable next to this.

Back