1/6 Hot Toy - MMS612 - Episode VI - ROTJ: Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot Toys makes their stuff based on reference material given to them and approved by Disney/Lucasfilm.
It's easy to look at final figures and point out things that are wrong, but it's also worth remembering that prop continuity on the original trilogy was atrocious.
Who knows what Lucasfilm has decided is the "correct" look/prop in their current visual bibles.

Some of the Biker/Scout Troopers had that gap on the side.

Maybe we can see it as 'movie accurate'.

gap.jpg

Well enough, but that kinda falls into the anomaly category kinda like what nocternas pointed out with Mr. No Stripes. I think most people would have preferred the more universal ROTJ look.

Yeah, that gap is a weird one - it's a function of the brand of cosplayer helmet used in Mando that has that characteristic gap.

I've said many times that this is the weird situation where inaccurate cosplayer costumes - that were attempts to be accurate to the OT but failed - are becoming canon via Mando, and now these inaccuracies are showing up in HT's OT releases.

It's so sad to see that although HT changed a few key Mando aspects on both the bike and Scout, there are still aspects that are accurate to Mando but not accurate to ROTJ still evident in both.

It's the sad reality that we have to get a Mando scout/bike first, then OT second, and the result is slight but noticeable inaccuracies on a classic, iconic OT design.

Hot Toys makes their stuff based on reference material given to them and approved by Disney/Lucasfilm.
It's easy to look at final figures and point out things that are wrong, but it's also worth remembering that prop continuity on the original trilogy was atrocious.
Who knows what Lucasfilm has decided is the "correct" look/prop in their current visual bibles.
When I was working in licensing, I flat out had Lucasfilm tell me things I could see were wrong with my own two eyes. Doesn't matter - you do what they tell you, or it doesn't get approved.

Yeah, that gap is a weird one - it's a function of the brand of cosplayer helmet used in Mando that has that characteristic gap.

I've said many times that this is the weird situation where inaccurate cosplayer costumes - that were attempts to be accurate to the OT but failed - are becoming canon via Mando, and now these inaccuracies are showing up in HT's OT releases.

It's so sad to see that although HT changed a few key Mando aspects on both the bike and Scout, there are still aspects that are accurate to Mando but not accurate to ROTJ still evident in both.

It's the sad reality that we have to get a Mando scout/bike first, then OT second, and the result is slight but noticeable inaccuracies on a classic, iconic OT design.
WTF😉

Mando Scouts used the EFX Collectibles Scout Limited Edition helmet. And that was a weird choice.

If Hot Toys had released the ROTJ Scout first, most people would have passed on the Mando Scout, and thus no money in Hot Toys large pockets.

We do need more Ewoks.
Paploo makes sense with the Speeder out.
I'd take Chirpa and Logray too.
Yeah I bought Wicket and small body/fur parts to make Paploo and Logray (not as much of a fan of Chirpa's design) but they are extremely complex to pull off, so they are on a go-slow until I can get very focused on them.

Even HT struggled with Wicket (don't love HT Wicket's face) and Chewie's face got worse, not better, with reissues.

And if HT based Mando figure helmet on ROTJ movie, noone would've complained. They pay attention to detail when they shouldn't, and vice versa.

And if HT based Mando figure helmet on ROTJ movie, noone would've complained. They pay attention to detail when they shouldn't, and vice versa.
Hot Toys don't really care. They know we would complain, but in the end we buy their stuff anyway. So why bother...

That's what I say. We also are to blame for not mail storming them. So, we deserve to be neglected.

Got my single trooper in this morning, got held up in customs.
He’s got more than enough differences between the two figures to justify & the weathering is completely different which Is great.
He looks a lot more badass than mando version, the paint apps are really good on this too. The white really pops on the armour alongside the equally dirtied up white fabric. Proportionally the figure looks more of a beast than the mando version.
I got this thinkin it would be a slight repaint, it’s much better than that.
I know loads of people won’t be using the Rifle but he looks great with it.
Quick photo 5mins out the box.

Attachments

• C2B2F28E-EF22-4FB4-A70F-F9556D368C21.jpeg
    C2B2F28E-EF22-4FB4-A70F-F9556D368C21.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Got my single trooper in this morning, got held up in customs.
He’s got more than enough differences between the two figures to justify & the weathering is completely different which Is great.
He looks a lot more badass than mando version, the paint apps are really good on this too. The white really pops on the armour alongside the equally dirtied up white fabric. Proportionally the figure looks more of a beast than the mando version.
I got this thinkin it would be a slight repaint, it’s much better than that.
I know loads of people won’t be using the Rifle but he looks great with it.
Quick photo 5mins out the box.
Paint apps aside, are the helmets exactly the same sculpt, or slightly different? I still think they tweaked the visor hood - it seems more curved for the ROTJ release whereas the manod seems very flat, but hard to say exactly without a close-side-by-side pic.

Paint apps aside, are the helmets exactly the same sculpt, or slightly different? I still think they tweaked the visor hood - it seems more curved for the ROTJ release whereas the manod seems very flat, but hard to say exactly without a close-side-by-side pic.
They’ve tweaked the visor hood it has the slight curve in it now, the knee armour is different also as is the chest armour front and back. Biggest difference is the chest armour height-looks so much better like this.
I know it was intentional for mando’s to like that way but the rotj version looks so much more kick ass. Also very serious man in a suit feels of him

Attachments

• FEC40B21-A48F-468C-8167-09D632E02383.jpeg
    FEC40B21-A48F-468C-8167-09D632E02383.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 9A9C4195-616B-4CD0-9DF0-D4683372ADBC.jpeg
    9A9C4195-616B-4CD0-9DF0-D4683372ADBC.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
  • E8BB9D1E-2B8A-4E0E-8482-A0475445D485.jpeg
    E8BB9D1E-2B8A-4E0E-8482-A0475445D485.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
Back