1/6 DARK TOYS DTM005 Collectible Figure MAX DX

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this other head ready in case I want to change the battle damage look head now in the figure...or do the short hair version on the Thunderdome Max...yes I know is not perfect..but, I am happy!!!
20230915_203702_HDR(1).jpg

Great work! I've always loved the Thunderdome version of Max's outfit. It seemed like a natural progression from the Road Warrior. It also added more of a nomad/bedouin aesthetic to Max's character and air of mystique.

My last post sucked — the body to head proportions were way off. This needs a taller body.

So here is my re-do — and an attempt to copy the pose on the movie poster.

Attachments

• IMG_1536.jpeg
    IMG_1536.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1538.jpeg
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi, Deathasylum, very cool how it turned out, that's impressive. Did you do the head paint over the old paint job or did you remove the old paint job? I would be very grateful for an answer.
Hello and thank you 🍻
I went over the existing paint with different washes of skin tones to match the neck color and used a black wash for the stubble.

Last edited:
Got and weathered the present toys boots. Also got the leg brace which I'm waiting on. And I also ordered an accurate knee pad and spurs from Old Traveler.

I have a figure I am trying to repaint, I am pretty new at this, was wondering that do I need to remove the old paint on the sculpt's hair is there a way to dry brush to bring the details out, its just a flat pain they have on the head!

so are none of you concerned with the pleather turning to **** in a few years? i cant see myself wasting time customizing a figure just for it to be ruined later on

so are none of you concerned with the pleather turning to **** in a few years? i cant see myself wasting time customizing a figure just for it to be ruined later on
you can try a light coat of angelus matte finisher.

you can try a light coat of angelus matte finisher.
I'm just trying to understand the mindset. Maybe if it flakes it will look like battle damage? Do you think the present toys outfit stands a better chance of lasting?

I'm just trying to understand the mindset. Maybe if it flakes it will look like battle damage? Do you think the present toys outfit stands a better chance of lasting?
we try to keep it long lasting. when it breaks we try to fix it or replace them.

it depends if they use full grain, top grain or walmart genuine leather.

I have parts of all 3 releases - Premier Toys, Present Toys and Dark Toys.
I can't tell you about the longevity of either since only time will tell how they'll hold up but of course that's always a concern with "leather" outfits in this hobby...

I really do wonder though what material exactly it is that Dark Toys used for their Max outfit 'cause it does feel the cheapest out of all 3 of them in hand. It's really thin. Almost feels like plastic and quite fragile.
Present Toys is quite thick and sturdy on the other hand which makes it harder to drape on the figure though and it smells like real leather.
Premier Toys feels really nice and quality but when I unpacked it it had a really heavy plastic smell.

I hope they will hold up well. But you never know...

I can't tell you about the longevity of either since only time will tell how they'll hold up but of course that's always a concern with "leather" outfits in this hobby...

I really do wonder though what material exactly it is that Dark Toys used for their Max outfit 'cause it does feel the cheapest out of all 3 of them in hand. It's really thin. Almost feels like plastic and quite fragile.
Present Toys is quite thick and sturdy on the other hand which makes it harder to drape on the figure though and it smells like real leather.
Premier Toys feels really nice and quality but when I unpacked it it had a really heavy plastic smell.

Very valuable information you just shared thank you. I'm definitely going with present toys

For anyone who's interested here's a direct comparison between the 3 different versions. Outfits only (Jackets, Pants, Shoes and Hands) since I don't have the Premier Toys belt or leg brace.
Only thing I've tempered with are the Dark Toys Jacket and Pants, everything else is completely unfutzed.

1.JPG

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    727.9 KB · Views: 0

if you dont mind experimenting with angelus finisher after taking it apart it forms a layer of protection.

however flat does turn the leather into something slightly glossy like after getting oiled up.

i tested on a cracked holster, it doesnt restore the microcracks but i can feel the pleather is now stronger with 2 thin coats.

also used it on a pleather shoe which started to go bad. touched up the damaged areas with angelus gloss black before 2 coats of satin finisher.

I know what's funny is Mel Max was on my list of figures to own but never got around to building it. This is a good start point I know moving forward it will be a complete custom.
i want a game max. i have built the outfit using artsfigures and vts leftovers but missing those tiny tools like multitool etc which i cant afford buying the parts from any of the 3 makers... and since you can select a few outfits in game i dont need to be 100% accurate.

Right now he looks like Tom Cruise but probably wont finish him before the artfigures suit starts to fail.

i guess to late for angelus treatment since i have to disassemble it to paint.

same goes for my artfigures dredd and vts anderson. too late to do anything about it i guess.

Back