1/6 Collection- I’m done.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shelves are supported internally. Each shelf has an LED light guide panel that runs in a channel inside the shelf. The panel serves two functions- first, to diffuse the light evenly on each shelf; and second to support the weight of the figures. It has the strength of a regular piece of plexiglass.

But on top of panel sits a 1/4” piece of wood with white laminate glued on top. This is the actual shelf display area you see in the pictures.

The only 4 shelves that slightly bow have exceptionally heavy pieces- Jabba’s throne, the tauntauns, Ecto 1, and Hulkbuster. But it’s not a really an issue.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1905.jpeg
    IMG_1905.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I’ll add to the praise @ali032373 ; these shelves are incredible! Exactly what I hope to build someday. What I would give to have been a fly on the wall during their development.

Put in the last piece of glass today. The completion of these cases, and the fact that they’ve done pretty much everything I would buy, basically wrap up my collecting. Started in 2007 and will end in early 2024 with a few POs that will be displayed. It was a lot of fun.

I will probably do another video with more details on the figures, and another video on the build for the cases.

Thanks for watching.
Ìmpressive collection and display my friend. Have you found it difficult to say you are done? Like you I am done too, William Munny... unforgiven is my final planned figure. The test shall be temptation.

I’ll add to the praise @ali032373 ; these shelves are incredible! Exactly what I hope to build someday. What I would give to have been a fly on the wall during their development.

Thanks. Maybe TMI, but the cases and shelves actually went through several iterations before space, weight, and electrical capacity dictated the final product. Initially, the cases were going to be all plexiglass (no wood). But in sketch-up it just felt flimsy and I wasn’t confident that it could bear weight.

The first build of the shelves contained 8 to 10 led strips with a diffuser panel. But in doing the math (8 strips @ 65” per run x 4 shelves x 9 cases) the power consumption would have easily overwhelmed the 20 amp circuit. Each shelf now only uses 2 strips.

Also, getting the height between shelves right was a task. You want to make sure oversized figures (Han in carbonite, Juggernaut, Igor, etc.) can all be displayed. So you couldn’t just say I’ll make all the shelves 15”.

And I would think I finalized the design only for some new figure to be announced. Hulkbuster forced a significant redesign on case height.

Plenty of other little design issues- plexiglass v. regular glass, hinged v. sliding doors, floor clearance in the event of water intrusion, fixed v. adjustable shelves, lots of electrical issues.

Ìmpressive collection and display my friend. Have you found it difficult to say you are done? Like you I am done too, William Munny... unforgiven is my final planned figure. The test shall be temptation.
Thank you. I know I’m done because I’m out of room. There’s just no more space.

I have a few figures on PO. I know how I’m going to squeeze them in. But that’s it.

The thing that would make me cull the herd to make room is if they made Flair, Hart, Austin, the Rock, the Road Warriors, Piper, etc. Glaring hole in the market IMO.

The first build of the shelves contained 8 to 10 led strips with a diffuser panel. But in doing the math (8 strips @ 65” per run x 4 shelves x 9 cases) the power consumption would have easily overwhelmed the 20 amp circuit. Each shelf now only uses 2 strips.
You sure about that LED power consumption? It's all low voltage, so it should have been a breeze. All good; water under the bridge. I get you about the multiple iterations of arrangement. A whole room of shelves like that wouyld really require that effort and level of attention.

Do you have a place to sit, or a stereo or TV in that room?

Absolutely gorgeous display and incredible collection.

It's like a museum. I could easily spend at least a few hours checking out each case.

You sure about that LED power consumption? It's all low voltage, so it should have been a breeze. All good; water under the bridge. I get you about the multiple iterations of arrangement. A whole room of shelves like that wouyld really require that effort and level of attention.

Do you have a place to sit, or a stereo or TV in that room?
I’m at least somewhat confident in the math for the lighting. I’m not an electrician, but I had to learn some things. You mentioned voltage, but, as I understand it, voltage is the force used to push the power through. Sort of like the water pressure in a pipe. The strips don’t need a lot of pressure to work properly.

The issue I had was amperage which as I understand it has to do with capacity. Sort of like the actual diameter of that water pipe.

Attached is a picture of the original lighting setup with rows of LEDs. There are 9 cases- 6 large (say, 70” wide), 2 medium (55” wide), and 1 small (35” wide).

Each shelf had 9 rows of LEDs. Each case has 4 shelves to be illuminated. So just for the big cases, that’s 70” wide x 9 rows of LEDs x 4 shelves. That’s 2,520 inches of strips. That’s 210 feet.

If the strips consume say 2 watts per foot (which is kinda low), that’s 420 watts. Amps equals watts divided by volts. So 210 feet of 24 volt LED strip equals 17.5 amps. And that’s for just one large case. The whole basement ran on one 20 amp circuit.

The 9 rows of LEDs per shelf just wasn’t sustainable. And it also raised other issues like voltage drop because a run of 630 inches per shelf (9 rows of strips x 70 inches) is just too long.

And I do have a place to sit. I would show the tv, refrigerators, stereo, etc., but the area really needs a cleaning. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1919.jpeg
    IMG_1919.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I just popped in to say that your Back to the Future shelf is my favorite. Amazing collection. It looks like a museum.

1:6 isn't really for me overall but I still plan to have some 1:6 Kryptonians at some point.

Imperesive... Most imperesive. :vader Money spent well. I am mostly a 1/12 action figure collector... mostly... But i got manythings from some 1/6 Hot Toys to 1/3 Prime1 Statues. I Like to sample all. :) But i have a space problem. I hope i have a large collection room like you someday.

Well this is my first case filled up since I've been collecting, I got a lot of pre-orders and other figures on the way so I'm going to have to get another case, LOL, I really think I'm done after that though I can only fit so much but I could do one more case. But I'm enjoying it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240314_181157_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240314_181157_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back