1/6 "A New Hope" Princess Leia - By Snyderman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a worthy project of persuit but something im not personally interested in even though i would support a custom Leia, its just that im not a fan of the talent involved.IMO his sculpt would not be an upgrade to the Sideshow one. I don't think his work is up to the calibre of what I expect of 1/6 heads. It's not knocking him personally he has talent for sure , but like Rocco he's not up to par with the best sculptors IMO. I could only want to pay a premium for a custom project or even just add new figure to my shelf, when I know the result would be up to par with my standards.

I'd be interested in an outfit if it were an upgrade to the sideshow one though.

Last edited:
I don't know Ray, have you seen Snyderman's latest sculpt of Peggy Carter? Of course it all remains to be seen, but I think you might be pleasantly surprised, especially after a pro painter gets their hands on it. :)

im down for this but would LOVE an ESB Bespin Escape Leia

I don't know Ray, have you seen Snyderman's latest sculpt of Peggy Carter? Of course it all remains to be seen, but I think you might be pleasantly surprised, especially after a pro painter gets their hands on it. :)

His riply sculpts are great too

Its a worthy project of persuit but something im not personally interested in even though i would support a custom Leia, its just that im not a fan of the talent involved.IMO his sculpt would not be an upgrade to the Sideshow one. I don't think his work is up to the calibre of what I expect of 1/6 heads. It's not knocking him personally he has talent for sure , but like Rocco he's not up to par with the best sculptors IMO. I could only want to pay a premium for a custom project or even just add new figure to my shelf, when I know the result would be up to par with my standards.

I'd be interested in an outfit if it were an upgrade to the sideshow one though.

Snyderman is not a johhny-come-lately. He represents his mother's work on this site. Joy Snyder is an industry professional with over 10 years of professional work in the collectibles field. If you aren't familiar with the work she and her husband do you should visit thier web site at www.joyandtomstudios.com. Thier studio has been doing custom head sculpts for 1/6th scale figures way longer than any other sculptor currently offering thier work here. If you aren't a fan of the work that is understandable, but suggesting that it isn't up to the standards of other sculptors is a stretch. I'm not an expert like some people here but for my money they are offering some great products in both sculpt and paint. Thier heads have made some great additions to my collection and I hope they continue to offer characters I am interested in.

Just curious what you think would make that head look better? It's gorgeous the way it's painted by Snyderman.

Just curious what you think would make that head look better? It's gorgeous the way it's painted by Snyderman.

Snyderman is a strong painter, and no disrespect to her (them?) at all, but she's not on the level of SilentSurfer or Josh Small in terms of paint apps. I've seen her excellent Marion sculpt painted by SilentSurfer, and he brought even more likeness out of it, imo.

Agreed. I think Snyderman is an excellent sculptor. I own both of the Hobbit heads she did, and they are excellent. But I had to have a master like Skiman paint it, not withstanding Snyderman is a skilled painter as well.

Snyderman is a strong painter, and no disrespect to her (them?) at all, but she's not on the level of SilentSurfer or Josh Small in terms of paint apps. I've seen her excellent Marion sculpt painted by SilentSurfer, and he brought even more likeness out of it, imo.

I think the thing that may be working against Snyderman is thier photography. I have to remind myself that pictures and what something looks like in hand can be quite different. I own both versions of Marion painted by Joy and couldn't ask for anything better. I've seen several other paintjobs on those heads including the painters you mentioned. SS, Smalls and Greego all did nice paintups of that sculpt, but they all made the same error in that they made her irises too big. For me it threw off the likeness. Different strokes for different folks.

Could very well be the photos, I have no first-hand knowledge to argue otherwise. :duff

L1.jpg

leiasizebodtfit.jpg

Bazinga! Just some gentle ribbing after the discussion we have been having on the Bond thread.

Man, if Rocco and Snyderman can't do great sculpts, then I must not know what a great sculpt is. Those guys capture likenesses better than just about anyone else out there.

Man, if Rocco and Snyderman can't do great sculpts, then I must not know what a great sculpt is. Those guys capture likenesses better than just about anyone else out there.

You should check out the James Bond thread for an interesting debate on what constitutes a good portrait sculpt. A lot of newer/younger collectors seem to lean towards detail being as/more important than likeness, which baffles me. It's a good read though so check it out. Both sides make compeling arguments.

I have to strongly disagree with this.

First of all "Snyderman" the board member is the husband of the sculptor just to clear up any confusion that seems to abound. That said Tom is an artist too and has sculpted the single best 1:6 accessory I have ever seen, the flamethrower from Alien. That piece is mind-blowing in its intricacy.

Ray, you are entitled to your opinion of course, but it is one thing to say Joy is not at a level to some of the boundary-breaking Hot Toys talent, but to say her sculpt is not an "upgrade" on the SSC version is just indefensible in my view.

The SSC head is grossly oversized and just throughly generic. Joy has pulled off the greatest challenge in sculpting that I have observe: capturing the likeness of a young woman who otherwise lacks "character" in her facial features. Take away the Star Puffs™ and Carrie Fisher circa age 20 was a totally featureless beauty. Joy nailed her attitude in the sculpt.

The fact Sideshow failed again and again with female head sculpts shows that it is not an easy task. Hot Toys has not exactly been flawless either. The latest Black Widow, the Blade lady, and the first Linda Hamilton sculpts are their only unqualified successes with real women that I can think off. Even Trevor varied in the quality of his Firefly heads, with River being a pretty poor showing compared to Zoe, a near perfect sculpt.

Back