1:4 Vader helmet - my observations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
elwood49 said:
News from ToyFair: "The fifth piece to be released is Aragorn was on display.

Toynami have worked very closely with Richard Taylor from WETA who created all the costumes and weapoary for the LOTR films.

They have recreated the real metal chainmail outfit with over 3000 links in the armour.

Real leather outfits with detailed stitching.

Real metal sword and accesories.

Over 2000 human hairs stitched into his silicon head.

It will be released later in 06 for $1500.

Thats something else. :cool: Way out of my league money-wise, but I'm looking forward to seeing the completed figure.

I'm impressed by the research that goes into these types of things by true fans and I'm going to take a radical stand. It might help.

That helmet shape does seem to be very different, although it's difficult to know if all the helmets used in ANH were exactly the same.

But if the shapes on the original piece were more screen accurate and Lucasfilm required adjustments to make it a more "definitive" Vader (aka RotS) then perhaps all this carping may give SSC some ammunition to resist unnecessary modifications in the future.

I'm just sayin'...

I think the CM Terminator droids are sweet but I don't like the Humans at all.

If RT is working with them on the Aragorn piece then I'm sure it will look much better than it did at SDCC.

Could someone make comparisons with the ROTS, TESB, and ROTJ helmet shapes? I know that this Vader is supposed to be the ANH version, but its helmet obviously isn't. Maybe they just scanned some other helmet, not the ANH one (which wouldn't surprise me, as ANH is the worst archived movie at Lucasfilm, for obvious reasons).

Still, this is just one of the reasons I passed on the first four SW PF figs. I've preordered Leia, as she didn't seem off to me at all from the preview pics -- and I would've gotten Grievous, if I had been able to afford him. Vader just seemed a bit off to me at all times during its lenghty production process, and I guess I'll be perfectly happy with his 12" depiction in a year or so...

Seretur said:
Could someone make comparisons with the ROTS, TESB, and ROTJ helmet shapes?

Go here:

https://www.starwarshelmets.com/

Then click on "compare" or "real props"

The amount of info there can answer just about everything you need.

As a matter of coincidence, I was just reading an excellent thread today on the RPF about the best Vader ANH helmet out there. That's another interesting read so that you can compare it to the SS version.

https://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=104967&st=0

Also get the SW Chronicles OT for sure and PT, Complete Visual Guide, and SW 365 all of them have great pics of Vader.

I think if you are going to be this picky about the helmet shape, you should at least take the picture from the same angle. As you can see from drawing lines across some of the forward facing elements, your closeup is taken from about eye level, while the original shot is taken from someone shorter than Vader, and is in effect looking up at him. This could account for some of the differences in shape.

I'm not saying the vader helmet is exact but your comparison is unfair

miteethor,
I've studied the helmet part of my authentic full size casting from a real helmet and the difference in viewing angle really doesn't alter the fundamental innacuracies in the Sideshow helmet.

Chris

Well to be fair it really doesmake a difference when you're trying to demonstrate the differences you see to others. Especially when you are using a two dimensional medium. All the comparison shots should be from the same angle and with the same lighting, or as close as possible anyway.

I am not trying to hate on CM or anything but that Arnold face looks kind of droopy, especially in the second pic. I have never been able to get past his afro either. I wont bring up the zippers as it's been beaten to death already.

Jesse

I suppose the next logical question would be, does this look like ANY of the helmets? Is this secretly an ESB or maybe ROTJ? Perhaps it's a scan of the Ep 3 helmet?

I think the hardest time I have about understanding the extreme attention to detail is that Lucas and his crew don't even use those same standards, with each iteration looking different. Honestly, there is NO continuity whatsoever between Episodes 3-4-5-6 in the Vader suit. Can we really expect that Vader would have his helmet shape changed every couple of years? Do the lights blink in Ep3, then stop in Ep 4, then blink again in 5 and 6?

I always thought that his gray/black paint scheme was due to filming difficulties, and the fact you couldn't make out his facial features when he was truly black so they had to cheat and paint some parts gray to stand out more. If that is the case, it would seem to me that the intention was for Vader to be completely black, and the gray only exists to accentuate the appearance of black on the film? So which is better, to go with pure black as intended or gray/black which is accurate, in case you were going to film yourself in the helmet?

Then add in the fact that everything you see on film is probably barely sturdy enough to survive a couple of shots, made of disposable materials and doesn't actually function. I mean, if Vader was real, the inside of his helmet wouldn't have foam padding, it would have readouts and life support equipment, yet the exact replica of Vader involves lots of foam padding and straps for your head?

It's things like this that have me thinking I would prefer the "essense" of Vader rather than the actual Vader. The Riddel helmet is a perfect example - it has no chin strap or foam, but rather was built to look like a Vader helmet that a Vader would wear, not an actor. When I think of authentic, I want to think "Wow, Vader came over and left his helmet" not "Wow, some actor came by and left his Vader Prop here"

Chuck Norris said what Vader's helmet looks like does not matter, for when he roundhouse kicked Vader, the Dark Lord saw the Light Side regardless of helmet style/size.

Angles do matter.

<quote>Then add in the fact that everything you see on film is probably barely sturdy enough to survive a couple of shots, made of disposable materials and doesn't actually function. I mean, if Vader was real, the inside of his helmet wouldn't have foam padding, it would have readouts and life support equipment, yet the exact replica of Vader involves lots of foam padding and straps for your head?

It's things like this that have me thinking I would prefer the "essense" of Vader rather than the actual Vader. The Riddel helmet is a perfect example - it has no chin strap or foam, but rather was built to look like a Vader helmet that a Vader would wear, not an actor. When I think of authentic, I want to think "Wow, Vader came over and left his helmet" not "Wow, some actor came by and left his Vader Prop here"</quote>

I so TOTALLY agree.

now, if SSC had done a 1/4 Darth Maul, and his horns were out of line, then yeah, hellfire and brimstone. But on the helmet, unless he ended up like Dark Helmet or something reaaaaaally way off.... eh. it's still the Dark Lord of the Sith. :)

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I noticed when I first received mine that it's the prequel vader not the Original Trilogy vader. i wish it was the OT but it's the "redisigned" Vader for Ep. III vader design.

Guess I better throw in my two cents here as well.

Basically there is no real "Right" version of the helmet.

Dunno if any of you got the Ep III DVD but in it it talks about the helmet and the problems and what happened in the original series with the helmet how it wasn't uniform etc.

Gees people it's not the end of the world. Tomatoe or Tomatoe, wait guess that is the same...

Move along, Move along

These icons are getting freakin annoying. If you don't like reduntant opinions or sick of a topic, just move along--or better yet, stay out of the thread.

Last edited:
:horse :horse :horse :horse :horse :horse :horse :horse :horse
and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on... :peace

Originally posted bydaelith
These icons are getting freakin annoying.

crybaby.jpg

Like danniedarKo annoying? Maybe like the "I missed out on the gray hulk" thread annoying or the "how did you find out about the gray hulk exclusive" boo hoo thread annoying?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back