Your first war FPS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a war FPS but did anyone play Heretic? It came out right after Doom or Wold 3D, I don't remember which one exactly, pretty sure Doom cause I think it was the same engine. Anyway, love that early FPS was so cool.

I preferred Call of Duty, if we're comparing their first releases. I enjoyed both for sure, but COD was the first to incorporate cinematic game moments that made the game seem more real, important, and epic such as the D-day landing in Normandy (inspired by Saving Private Ryan). The Stalingrad mission was the best part IMO, from the boat landing where other boats were being bombed around you (nobody had done this yet) Me101's bombing the landing zone, to running into the square with just ammo and no gun until another Russian died and dropped one. Most shooters of today still use some of these COD tricks to make the game more interesting.

All in all, COD broke new ground for the FPS that we still enjoy the benefits of today.

I agree with most of those statements but taking away cut scenes and graphics and game play, story to story and enjoyment I still like original Medal of Honor best.

Not a war FPS but did anyone play Heretic? It came out right after Doom or Wold 3D, I don't remember which one exactly, pretty sure Doom cause I think it was the same engine. Anyway, love that early FPS was so cool.

I played the sequel, Hexen.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iZq31JUYf8M" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Faceball on Gameboy baby. Real old school.

Then Doom and Wolfenstein and this Wolfensein mod that took place in Space. Can't remember what it was called.

Then the orignal Half Life and Counter Strike and finally worked by way upto Battlefield which was the first game that really felt like an all out war with vehicles etc. Also played the original Moh and CoDs.

I remember how mind blowing Myst was too.

A moment of silence for the brave Space Marines who lost their lives on Mars in the demon invasion...

Hey I mentioned Wolfenstein 3D! Doom was just tangentially related. :pfft:

But whatever folks can post what they want, even if they think Bible Games 3D/Super Noah's Ark is a war shooter.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OzIgr_tg6Tc" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

What was the first "real" war FPS? Was it MoH? My first war FPS was the first CoD. Before that I had played the Dooms, the Quakes, Dark Forces, and, yes, even Faceball 3000. :lol

What was the first "real" war FPS? Was it MoH? My first war FPS was the first CoD. Before that I had played the Dooms, the Quakes, Dark Forces, and, yes, even Faceball 3000. :lol

Medal of Honor to my memory was the first fps based in a real war setting. That debuted in 1999, while the first cod didn't hit until 2003.

I see a lot of people mentioning DOOM, but last I checked that wasn't based on a war of any kind. I played Doom and Duke Nukem 3D way before MoH, Doom was my first FPS, but this isn't about that.

If we are just talking old-skool FPS's, then how about Jurassic Park on SNES or even Jurassic Park on 3DO?? The 3DO game was horrifying back in the day.

If were talking about any FPS it would be Wolfenstein 3d, but if were talking strictly war FPS it would be black hawk down on the PC. The community in that game could not be beaten. I would rather play that game than any call of duty, well besides maybe call of duty 2

936full-star-wars%3A-shadows-of-the-empire-cover.jpg

Back