[XM Studios] Phoenix

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a solid custom. Congrats! I'd take it over the regular portrait and the "pretty girl" portrait (not sure what to call it or why it even exists). Basically it's better than 2 of the 3 default offerings, the exception being the "going dark" Jean Grey head.

Still, I maintain the prototype regular would've been the best. But people just had to whine about the hairline. Nicely done. Now you get a "three-head" instead of a proper forehead. :clap

Last edited:
Tbh only problem was eye color for me but loved it anyway now that they fix it its perfect, I really like the way the eyes look and every 1 who has this on PO looked really happy including me :)

I wish a flash hadn't been used. It really makes the paint app look sub par, wrong eye color notwithstanding. Still really looking forward to this.

Why - have you po'ed it?
Yes. Hopefully this looks better in person. I don't look forward to paying $$$ for this head and then being forced to have it repainted.

I want that Lena Headey Phoenix head, I saw floating about. :lol
Like that one too.
He is doing two versions, one with pupils, one without. He is also working hard on getting them perfect. I will be getting both of those.
They are awesome.

With the narrow face and the color of the eyes, the sculpt looks like Liv Tyler...

MTE1ODA0OTcxOTAwNDM4MDI5.jpg

The custom was really nice for sure. Love it a lot. I agree the eyes need to be straighten up a tad then it's very impressive. This will up my display phoenix by quite a bit. It's pricey for customs but I really needed a custom for that one.

Comicbookguy is not a troll, please don't put him on ignore. He's a honest veteran for a very long time. He's ok in my book.

I got it on PO but to b honest I'm disappointed. As time goes on I'm more satisfied with the original heads and the flame on head is perfect. I'm not convinced I would display this head over it

I got it on PO but to b honest I'm disappointed. As time goes on I'm more satisfied with the original heads and the flame on head is perfect. I'm not convinced I would display this head over it

It really is. Never saw what the huge fuss was about but everyone has their own preference.

I want that Lena Headey Phoenix head, I saw floating about. :lol

Like that one too.

It's still being made, printing the proto is taking forever. I tried to ask different factories around but the level of detail on the sculpt is such that most of them can't print down to that detail. The ones who can, can do it only on very small surfaces and the sculpt is pretty big, with all the hair floating.
Should be very close to be printed tho, in the meanwhile we used the time to test some paint apps, these are a few pics of the counter samples I received from the painters - first one with iris, other ones power up effect. Used a Scarlet Witch portrait with the same colors we'd use on Jean. I'll post updates when I have something more substantial, don't want to rush.

t3RDW4A.jpg

Bj9umQY.jpg

vjq204W.jpg

3wkP3qd.jpg

It's still being made, printing the proto is taking forever. I tried to ask different factories around but the level of detail on the sculpt is such that most of them can't print down to that detail. The ones who can, can do it only on very small surfaces and the sculpt is pretty big, with all the hair floating.
Should be very close to be printed tho, in the meanwhile we used the time to test some paint apps, these are a few pics of the counter samples I received from the painters - first one with iris, other ones power up effect. Used a Scarlet Witch portrait with the same colors we'd use on Jean. I'll post updates when I have something more substantial, don't want to rush.

t3RDW4A.jpg

Bj9umQY.jpg

vjq204W.jpg

3wkP3qd.jpg

What type of micron count are you looking for.... I got these printed for a damn reasonable price.

12226910_10153118738731767_1009472580_n_zpsn8aomku1.jpg

12207641_10156306945215389_252556542_n_zpslasrdeny.jpg

You may also want to consider printing the hair seperately with a key seperately. Like this

12205040_10156306945290389_2111750157_n_zpsdna1ggmt.jpg

Edit: here is a better picture of a hair key

99d6f5b4233ca0ba2eea754cde017841_zpsqv0gtpfp.jpg

Last edited:
So far I know that printing down to 16 microns is not 100% sure to nail all details, don't know much else, guess I should have inquired better on 3D printers. And good call about keying, we underestimated the size and volume of the sculpt

So far I know that printing down to 16 microns is not 100% sure to nail all details, don't know much else, guess I should have inquired better on 3D printers. And good call about keying, we underestimated the size and volume of the sculpt

Dude, 16 microns is pretty damn good for accuracy. Have you talked to ownage???

Yup, they're the ones I'm waiting for and the only factory who guaranteed to nail the details, so it's gonna take a bit more for the printed master, hopefully it's worth it.

Back