Xbox One System Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far this system is a huge disappointment.

No sharing of games between siblings and friends is not fun. There's many games I would have never got if I wasn't able to borrow it for a few days or hours from a family member or friend.

Also, as someone who does sometimes trade in or sell used games, I hope their 'system' of selling used games is fair and pays real cash and not Xbox points or something stupid.

The system requiring Kinect to always be connected is a choice I'm not fond of, but we'll see exactly what impact that has in the long run. I hope I can just use the controller and never worry about the Kinect.

So the system is not always online, but if you want to even play a new game you just bought, you'll need to sign on to confirm the game-code? So you have to have an Internet connection to play any games essentially, not fair to the consumer; as I am sure there are thousands who own a 360 but don't have an Internet connection.

It sucks because I enjoy Microsoft's exclusive games, but the PS4 so far sounds more enticing. I guess we'll have to wait and see, because maybe Sony will end up announcing game-codes as well?

Edit: Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the golden age of gaming was over, and I think they may be right. I'm going to enjoy the next and final 6-12 months of games on the 360 more than ever before: Saints Row IV, GTAV, COD, Watch Dogs, etc. Any cross-platform games I'll get on the 360; I won't be getting a next-gen console at launch.

I think the Wii-U will be the only console remaining that is reminiscent of past gaming console generations.

Edit #2: Some helpful FAQ on IGN: https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/0...and-dont-know?abthid=519c9e21bcbbcc0d2f000006

Interesting tidbits:
-Article says you can trade in used games at retailers, details to be confirmed.
-Xbox Live Arcade games will not transfer, keep your old box if you want to play those along with your 360 games.
-Cannot turn Kinect microphone off, Kinect is "always listening".
-Console requires to connect to the internet at least once a day. Someone in the comments mentioned that if your internet goes out for a few days, you can't play your Xbox. I'd say the majority of internet users experience outages every year, for days at a time even. This will make a lot of people angry.
:exactly::goodpost: i feel the same way.

I won't even consider picking this system up until Halo or Gears hits, so hopefully we are talking 2015....by then the XBOX ONE will have be redesigned from the ground up to be an actual gaming machine again - at least I hope

Wait you think in two years they will make a new system?:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I don't want/need all those extras. I just want to play games- shoot some zombies, race cars, play sports games.
Pass.

7tmSCjo.gif

Well, this is fun. We do it have cable in our home. So the majority of those great features for tv mean nothing to me. I love not having cable and have no intention of going back. My brother and I live about two blocks away and borrow game from one another. This will keep us from doing so. With a third child on the way and him just having his third buying $60 games which will probably cost more on the new consol are out. They also pretty much said screw you to anything you owned previously. They want no used games being used on this system. I have some favorite games i would keep. What do I have to get a 10ft tall entertainment cabinet to hold all of my old **** and new ****? Sad, I was looking forward to this. So many people have been excited for this for a while and now the let down.

Like others have said it's a bit silly to take sides when you don't even know what the restrictions on the PS4 are yet

If it turns out that the activation code is only to install the game, and that the game will still function off of the disc, then I have no problem with this. If I can borrow a game and play it off the disc, but not install it, then it really is no different than what we already have. I want more info before I write this off completely.

The word ATM is that when you "sell" a game, and someone else installs it, the game is uninstalled from your console VIA the cloud.
Unique serial number integrated into the game archetecture?
A serial number you've got to register printed on the disc itself?

unkown. Microsoft is not yet commenting.

as for borrowed games, also unknown.

If it turns out that the activation code is only to install the game, and that the game will still function off of the disc, then I have no problem with this. If I can borrow a game and play it off the disc, but not install it, then it really is no different than what we already have. I want more info before I write this off completely.

"...Xbox One will play used games.

The long answer is a bit more complex. All Xbox One games must be installed to the hard drive, either through digital download or the disc itself. That allows easy access to titles without disc switching, but it also causes complications. If you buy a physical disc and want to say, loan it a friend, they’ll have to pay an unlock fee to get the game to work on their system with their account. There’s no word on either how much this fee would be, or how many times you could do this with one disc. If the fee is small enough, $10 or so, it would allow people to essentially clone games for cheap. But if it’s expensive, like $30, then that really puts a damper on sharing altogether. Microsoft HAS clarified that if you play a game on a friend’s Xbox using YOUR account, a sharing fee is not required. But if you loan it to them to play on their own account, there would be.

And also what’s clear is that buying a used game will likely come with this same additional fee, meaning the era of uber cheap used games where Gamestop makes 100% pure profit is likely over. Sony so far has refused to comment on their own system for used games, but speculation is that it’s similar to MIcrosoft, and the two will stand united on this front.

On top of all of this, Microsoft says they’re still not releasing all their plans about game swapping and sharing and resale. “We’ll have more details to share later,” they say, but in the meantime, it’s apparent that the definition of what a “used game” is has changed dramatically.

Update: There seems to be some indication that this unlock fee might actually be the full retail price of the game. That’s certainly what it sounds like from what Phil Harrison is saying here. If that’s the case, then how exactly do “used games” even exist at that point? This is only making things more opaque."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...-one-questions-used-games-always-on-and-more/

Last edited:
I won't even consider picking this system up until Halo or Gears hits, so hopefully we are talking 2015....by then the XBOX ONE will have be redesigned from the ground up to be an actual gaming machine again - at least I hope

My hope as well.

The whole thing seems like a train wreck right now. AT LEAST add backward compatibility, ffs... I can't count on my 360 lasting forever. :(

PS4 is looking more appetizing by the minute...

I'm still on the fence, given it's early in the game. But my outlook right now is simple. I have about to 25 xbox 360 games, and a newer 360 model. I have a total PS3 library of 5 games. Since the Xbox One is not backwards compatible and seems to have a laundry list of dislikes after yesterdays events... i'm about 75% in the PS4 camp until further information is released. Trade in the PS3, keep the 360, buy the PS4.

But hey, to each their own.

Back