Xbox One System Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Xbox 720 & PS4 Rumors & Discussion

They are wanting to get into the huge tablet market by doing this but it won't work.

Re: Xbox 720 (Next gen Microsoft system) Discussion

Gaming companies can essentially make a system that will have a 10 year life cycle but require/reward you for buying a new updated/faster tablet controller every 2 or 3 years to keep up with the games. It could be a huge money maker for them if it works.

Re: Xbox 720 or Next Generation Console

Tablet controllers or gamepads with screens are here to stay. The new Wii U gamepad or a synced tablet will become the norm for the next generation.

Hell, I loved the heck out of the VMU in the controller for Dreamcast and I was personally blown away that future consoles didn't follow suit.

Hell of a prediction; one that I am unsure of, myself. Hardcore gamers just don't give a **** about tablet controllers - and the controller seems like a beast to control - not comfortable at all

Personally, just give me the fast processing, decent ram (8gig is good, imo), blu ray for one disk games or two max, and I am happy.

I just want NEXT GEN consoles to have great graphics and minimal concessions to loading times. I imagine a Next Gen Skyrim where I am not looking at loading screens constantly. I don't need VR glasses, I don't need to plug my cable box to my 720, I don't need it to talk dirty to me (though it would be nice)

I'll pick up that issue if I can find it....living in the farm part of Texas now, so the closest target is 55 min away!!! ARGH!!!

100+GB Blu-Ray drive, 8GB of ram, 1.5GB GPU if possible and optional data storage.

Would be nice if the PS Vita became Sonys tablet like controller, seems like it's the perfect size.

My concern with a tablet controller stems from two things: pain in the ass to control and the fact a mini light will be starting me in the face, partially obscuring my view on the tv

Do I really need my game menu on the controller? That's not an improvement, just doing different to be different

There is the benefit of being able to type in with the touch screen, and I think it would be pretty fast to navigate menus with it. The ability to have the map on there is pretty interesting, but ultimately not all that useful since you'd then have to stop looking at the screen to see the map, so really only useful in a single-player game.

I think the comfort of the regular controller is of more benefit than having the screen down there.

My concern with a tablet controller stems from two things: pain in the ass to control and the fact a mini light will be starting me in the face, partially obscuring my view on the tv

Do I really need my game menu on the controller? That's not an improvement, just doing different to be different

It's really dependent on the game developer to be creative with the tablet controller.

If it feels gimmicky, that's the developer's fault.

I'm expecting Nintendo to pave the way with their Wii U gamepad.
Playing Zombi U now, and already, it's utilizing the controller in several different ways that hasn't been done on any controller before.

If it feels gimmicky, that's the developer's fault.

I disagree...there is only so many practical applications. If I want to play games on a small tablet, I'd just buy a tablet or a vita or some other handheld. The whole concept of a tablet controller is gimmicky in its very conception.

Just my thoughts. I kinda hope the Wii-U fails, to send a message that most people just want to play games - we don't need three screens over nine devices to do what one controller and one tv used to do

Problem is the next generation of gamers are more used to tablets than controllers. A tablet gamepad is the best way of satisfying both markets.

I disagree...there is only so many practical applications. If I want to play games on a small tablet, I'd just buy a tablet or a vita or some other handheld. The whole concept of a tablet controller is gimmicky in its very conception.

Just my thoughts. I kinda hope the Wii-U fails, to send a message that most people just want to play games - we don't need three screens over nine devices to do what one controller and one tv used to do

You seem to speaking poorly about an application that you haven't even tried yet. I'll assume you don't have a Wii U based on how belittling you're talking about it, but sit down with a group of 3-5 players using Nintendo Land and you'll see the amazing uses of the touch screen gamepad. It really is extremely innovative. Maps and menus aren't the only thing the controller is capable of handling.

Imagine the room that your home console is in is also the same room where people gather to watch tv. Someone is watching a show and you would rather play a game or watch Netflix (as an example). Suddenly you and the tv watcher can do both. Who would complain about technology and abilities like that?

If you're a single young adult that lives by yourself, then maybe the features that Wii U make possible don't matter as much, but there are so many households that have several people in it with limited "entertainment" rooms and this gives alternatives while keeping everyone closer together as an option. Plus, being able to play the same game with my wife and 3 kids is an absolute blast.

You need to open your mind a little, bro. At least Nintendo innovates and moves the gaming world in new and creative directions. They don't always hit home runs, but when they do the market benefits.

Also, in regards to your complaint about the screen being too bright in your face while looking at the tv, the controller screen can be dimmed.

The used game issue sounds as hilarious and impractical as the rumour that they would be using the kinect camera to view any extra people in the room watching netflix:cuckoo::lol

Tbh I'd love for it to use no discs and be digital only but at the same time there would be no price competition if everything was sold through the xbox marketplace.

Just my thoughts. I kinda hope the Wii-U fails, to send a message that most people just want to play games -

...and there you have it.

Sounds very fanboyish.

I'll get Xbox successor whenever it's released, but up until that time, I'll continue to play on the Xbox 360 and Wii U. There's no point in griping about videogame controllers.

You need to open your mind a little, bro. At least Nintendo innovates and moves the gaming world in new and creative directions.... while looking at the tv, the controller screen can be dimmed.

That's good it can be dimmed; I am 'old school' gamer, yes......I am glad you are happy with this innovation, but we'll have to agree to disagree.

Very fanboyish

Well, I don't hide my preferences, no. I've never gotten into Nintendo ever, but I typically won't belittle those that do. While my complaint with the Wii-U is more to do with the tablet controller itself, and not against Nintendo

I'll probably wait several month until after the 720 is released to buy it. Hopefully no red ring of death or any other issues. For now my son and I have plenty of games to keep us busy until that time.

Problem is the next generation of gamers are more used to tablets than controllers. A tablet gamepad is the best way of satisfying both markets.

Considering the average gamer is 35 I don't think that's actually an issue.

A tablet controller has its uses, but I think people would still prefer a regular controller that's specially designed to be comfortable and easy to use than an awkward tablet that has controller buttons on it.

A 720 controller with a screen can work if the screen isn't too big imo. I can imagine a 3X3 inch screen in the middle of the controller that can be used to interact with a Gears of War game if its done right. Game developers should be aware that some like the screen interaction and some will prefer the old school method of pressing buttons. If I am playing Gears of War 10 in the future, I can switch weapons by either using one of my thumbs click on weapon A on the touch screen or by pressing on the controller pad. Developers should just leave the options open in order to satisfy both parties anyways.

Considering the average gamer is 35 I don't think that's actually an issue.

A tablet controller has its uses, but I think people would still prefer a regular controller that's specially designed to be comfortable and easy to use than an awkward tablet that has controller buttons on it.

is the average gamer really about 35? thats kinda cool actually. i never knew that.

My concerns with a tablet like controller... battery life, weight and with/without options.

I had a hard time with games that use motion control, as I'm very weak physically(medical condition)... games like Heavy Rain that didn't give me an option to turn off said controls, would hate to see more of that with new technology.

Back