Xbox One System Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Xbox 720 (Next gen Microsoft system) Discussion

Problem is the next generation of gamers are more used to tablets than controllers. A tablet gamepad is the best way of satisfying both markets.

Tablet as a controller would suck. Maybe a screen with a controller but no way in form would I like a tablet as a controller. It would not have the same feel to it.

Tablet as a controller would suck. Maybe a screen with a controller but no way in form would I like a tablet as a controller. It would not have the same feel to it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, we've got on pretty well with a good old joypad all these years. Leave all the daft gimmicks for the kids.

we know this is legitimate? from what I can tell, it's a uk based magazine, not affiliated with microsoft.

you guys do know they will have a classic controller right? i dont think i ever saw one person mention it.

Considering the average gamer is 35 I don't think that's actually an issue.

I remember reading that the average age of gamers are getting older, but not sure at the moment if there are enough newer and younger generations picking up gaming as a hobby. The gaming industry needs to get the newer generations involved as older gens pass away, quit, or simply grow out of video games.

we know this is legitimate? from what I can tell, it's a uk based magazine, not affiliated with microsoft.

A lot of the information is stuff we've heard before, there was a document leaked earlier this year from 2010 talking about features, it mentioned many of the same things. They actually had the smartglass stuff already in there. (which is probably as far as they'll go with tablet interaction with games)

There was also a patent filed on Kinect 2 and on a new VR system that would project the game onto the walls of the room.

I remember reading that the average age of gamers are getting older, but not sure at the moment if there are enough newer and younger generations picking up gaming as a hobby. The gaming industry needs to get the newer generations involved as older gens pass away, quit, or simply grow out of video games.

You haven't been playing online shooters have you? There's more than enough kids gaming. Millions of them. It's like an infestation. The future is secure.

Well, I don't hide my preferences, no. I've never gotten into Nintendo ever, but I typically won't belittle those that do. While my complaint with the Wii-U is more to do with the tablet controller itself, and not against Nintendo

Fair enough.
Time will tell in which direction the videogame industry is headed in terms of game controllers.

Right now, I'm just glad the market is supporting 3 consoles. If one of them were to monopolize the industry, it would be "game over" (pun intended :D) for us gamers.

Just give me 64 players Battlefield with PC Ultra graphics from today and i'll be content with the new box. :pray:

Or don't and go scratch. :pfft:

Fair enough.
Time will tell in which direction the videogame industry is headed in terms of game controllers.

Right now, I'm just glad the market is supporting 3 consoles. If one of them were to monopolize the industry, it would be "game over" (pun intended :D) for us gamers.

Oh yeah, that would be awful, truly

If 720 can do a small screen with a controller thats similar to what we have now, I can deal - gonna go and put this in the 'we shall see' pile

You haven't been playing online shooters have you? There's more than enough kids gaming. Millions of them. It's like an infestation. The future is secure.

Yea I play shooters online too, but thats just one safe giant genre right now that is going well right now. What about the other genres? I don't think the other genres are not doing well right now except for big franchises with lots of money.

I remember looking through people's gamertag while waiting for the game to start in COD not too long ago and find that most COD players game list is nothing but shooters...Some will have other stuff here and there but too few. What would happen if one day they get bored of FPS? (I don't think FPS is a fad like RPGs back then)

If they are doing AR/VR glasses then a tablet controller won't be needed at all.
Tablet controllers are like babies toys.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM[/ame]

Just waiting for scientists to create lucid dream engineering technology that will make all videogames obsolete.

Newest rumor is that Microsoft will make a box-top device like Roku but with Windows 8 with the Live service for games. :/

And life in general. One step closer to this:

65pzB.jpg

Microsoft: "We're no longer just competing with console companies."

Microsoft's VP of the Interactive Entertainment Business, Phil Harrison, has acknowledged that the company's internal development studios are no longer competing with just traditional console manufacturers, but web and tech companies including Google and Apple.

Speaking at the London Games Conference this evening, Harrison said that his game development teams are now multiformat studios, working not only across Xbox but Windows 8, Surface and mobile devices.

"We are now really a multiplatform studio," he told the audience. "We are not just building games for Xbox 360, we're building experiences for smart glass, we're building dedicated games for Windows Phone 8 and for Windows 8."

Around 30 titles released for the Windows 8 launch period were developed in-house at Microsoft Studios, according to Harrison. Thinking multiformat at Microsoft is part of a wider remit at the corporation, he said, pulling other developments such as cloud computing into the entertainment business.

"We think this expands our competitive map," he said. "We're no longer just competing with the traditional console companies, but our competitive landscape includes the likes of Google, the likes of Amazon, it includes obviously the likes of Apple."

"We think that's great. We think it's good for us, we think it's good for the industry and we think it also moves us into this network generation more aggressively and with more determination. And this is in turn powered by the cloud, and this is another corporate investment that Microsoft is making the future of how technology and devices interact. We think of Microsoft as now being a devices and services company.

"There isn't an organization that embodies that strategy more precisely and concisely as Microsoft Studios inside the interactive entertainment business."

He also went on to shed some light on the recently announced tablet and mobile phone studio in London, headed up by former Rare developer Lee Schuneman.

"We are trying to build a new kind of studio," he said. "We describe it as being a 21st Century studio.

"It will not make retail products. It will be making products largely based on the Windows 8 platform and technologies. And it's more about exploring new business models and pioneering new ways to play on devices that we think are going to be powering the future of our industry over the next five or ten years. We're hiring from the console industry, the web 2.0 industry and from the online gaming industry."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-competing-with-traditional-console-companies

Ah, yes, what I really want is Windows 8 in my Xbox Entertainment Center, Microsoft. Onward goes the unimpeded march of technologically modulated market trends. I don't blame them, as long as the box is comparable in power to mid-tier gaming PCs of next year.

It's getting panned pretty hard. It's not terrible in my opinion, just mostly redundant.

Back