Why so many poorly trained police officers when dealing with dogs?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was still feeling jubilant from the nederlands win over mexico, and came home from work.
reading this thread makes me angry. that cop had NO effin right. **** sakes, a bullet in the head. a contained dog did not deserve a knife to the throat. :mad:

Weimaraners are a lovely breed. **** sakes...that dog did not deserve a bullet to the effin head.

The police officer had no right to be in the backyard without a warrant. If he was to get bit or be killed by an animal there it would be his own fault and would deserve it 100%.

If a dog is outside a yard, that is completely different.

If a dog is loose, outside a home because the owner didn't leash his dog or keep him contained and the officer feels threatened and shoots a dog, that is the owner's fault. Every owner is responsible for the actions of his dog and is required to keep him leashed or fenced in.

things are so mad there is even a facebook page for it, quite sad actually .

https://www.facebook.com/DogsShotbyPolice

someone is actually trying to do a documentary about it on kickstarter

trailer is on youtube (don't look for it if you dont want to get teary eyed... Seriously, graphic content, will make you cry)

8A65bbc.jpg

There must be 100 million+ dogs in the US, so no doubt something terrible is happening to one of them every 100 minutes. Trying to make this some sort of dog holocaust story is a bit ridiculous. I worry more about abusive owners than the chance that some random cop is going to shoot an animal in error.

I understand you want to defend the officers. fine,

What I don't like is how the police seem to be above the law, the law that applies to everyone else. I know they have a hard job and they are allowed to use guns,
But, when a cop does break the law, even when they kill a person by mistake,. there are no real consequences. they might get suspended, they might get fired. but I don't like how if a regular person did that, they would be in deep s---- over it.

I understand you probably see dogs as just another dumb animal that has no rights, but what would happen if a person shot a dog for example?
that's my problem.

Hmm, I guess I want to defend the officers a little bit, but really I think having police depts means some cops are going to make 'sub-optimal' decisions and I accept it as part of life. I love dogs and don't think of them as stupid animals but this sort of stuff is random happenstance, IMO, like getting cancer or hit by a car. I guess I do find the inordinate amount of sympathy for dogs a little off-putting, too. It's like the Joker's speech to Harvey Dent when he's recovering in the hospital. Just substitute "cows" for "soldiers" and "dog" for "mayor".

That only happens when you get some bully cop who shoots first and is incapable of thinking later. A lot of times with these it's a bully cop who does it. Not all cops are bad but these aholes should have their ass in a ringer.

Questions that need an answer -

Was the Police officer within the law, when accessing the private property of the Dog's owner?
How did the Police officer access the Yard?
Why was there no attempt to establish if the Yard contained a dog, before entry?
Why was there not a trained Animal handler present for Yard searches?
Why did the Police Officer not leave the Yard when confronted by the dog?
Why did the officer not fire a warning shot in an attempt to scare the dog?
How likely is it that a Police officer with standard hand gun training, can head shot a fast moving, supposedly 'aggressive' dog at a distance (a Weimaraner's head is not a big target)..the shot would have had to be fired almost as soon as the Police officer saw the dog, because the Yard doesn't look very big and dogs can move fast, considering the important fact there was no report the Police officer suffered injuries from the dog?

.. smells fishy to me.

Questions that need an answer -

Was the Police officer within the law, when accessing the private property of the Dog's owner?
How did the Police officer access the Yard?
Why was there no attempt to establish if the Yard contained a dog, before entry?
Why was there not a trained Animal handler present for Yard searches?
Why did the Police Officer not leave the Yard when confronted by the dog?
Why did the officer not fire a warning shot in an attempt to scare the dog?
How likely is it that a Police officer with standard hand gun training, can head shot a fast moving, supposedly 'aggressive' dog at a distance (Weimaraner head is not a big target)..the shot would have had to be fired almost as soon as the Police officer saw the dog, because the Yard doesn't look very big and dogs can move fast, considering the important fact there was no report the Police officer suffered injuries from the dog?

.. smells fishy to me.

A few things ..... as I am a LEO. For one I do not agree with the Officers actions in anyway shape or form. He should not have just entered his property for any reason. That being said ..... Pepper Spray does NOT work on some breeds of Dogs, when trained to use it you are not to use it on Animals. Also there is NO such thing as a warning shot for ANY circumstance, be it dog or human. The officer stated that the dog was postured in an aggressive manner, this means head down ears tucked ....it was most likely standing there wondering WTF he was doing in HIS back yard. The officer could have handled it very differently and should have hopefully he gets disciplined ... The fact he left and did not have the balls to talk to the guy face to face just disgusts me. If I ever do something wrong or offend them I will always go face to face to try and relieve some frustration on both sides. Also ..... the dog doesn't not have to attack to enable an officer to shoot it, just like I don't have to wait until a gun or knife is pointed at me or to my throat to use my weapon. I entered to protect and serve as MOST did, I however did not sign a suicide pact. That being said there are the officers who should have NEVER been hired, or weeded out and this officer sounds like one of them.

This does not explain why an Animal control officer was not conducting the Yard searches.. or why highly trained Police officers were unable to locate a sleeping three year old child, who had not left his own home.. normally the first search procedure, in a report of a missing person?

If you look at the picture of the yard the body of the dog is no where near the yard gate. Why didn't the cop go back the way he came?
Was the officer that insistent on having his way in that situation that he wasn't going to be intimated by a dog and back off and find a better solution?
Some police officers really do get a god complex going when they put on that uniform and badge. I'm the law and I can justify what ever I do so deal with it.
You can see a bit of it in the demeanor of that one officer in that video.
Are all cops like that? No
I really hope he's fired and sued.

Hmm, I guess I want to defend the officers a little bit, but really I think having police depts means some cops are going to make 'sub-optimal' decisions and I accept it as part of life. I love dogs and don't think of them as stupid animals but this sort of stuff is random happenstance, IMO, like getting cancer or hit by a car. I guess I do find the inordinate amount of sympathy for dogs a little off-putting, too. It's like the Joker's speech to Harvey Dent when he's recovering in the hospital. Just substitute "cows" for "soldiers" and "dog" for "mayor".

If you watch the Puppycide trailer you will see that No, it is not like getting hit by a car. Many of these dogs are coming excited wagging their tails to meet the officers and they get shot in the face. FOR NO REASON.

Other dogs are being restrained by their owners and the cops shoot them as well. I Understand that no one wants to deal with an angry dog that will bite the crap out of you and dogs can be very dangerous,

But a lot of these dogs are not doing anything or biting anyone. the cops shoot them because they are either overreacting or they are trigger happy. Simple as that.

I Would post the Puppycide trailer on here for you to see what I am talking about but it is too graphic so I rather not. But these dogs were not a danger to ANYONE. and they get shot multiple times.

some cases are literally a human shooting an innocent animal that was not causing any danger at all.

If you watch the Puppycide trailer you will see that No, it is not like getting hit by a car...
I only mean that the chance of any individual having their dog shot by an officer must be pretty minute. Circumstances have to unfold in a certain way for it to happen in the first place, and in that respect, it seems to me random. Anyway, if the outcry leads to better training and less dogs shot, great. I just didn't care for the way this particular guy handled it.

This does not explain why an Animal control officer was not conducting the Yard searches.. or why highly trained Police officers were unable to locate a sleeping three year old child, who had not left his own home.. normally the first search procedure, in a report of a missing person?

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about ...... watching Cops does not make you a subject matter expert. You might want to do your own research before jumping to conclusions. If you think there is an abundance of animal control officers or one should be present at all times doing yard searches you are mistaken. Seriously ..... a animal control officer conducting yard searches , animal control officers do NOT have police jurisdiction in most cases as they are a separate entity/agency entirely.

I agree with Crow though .... the outrage over a dog being killed is retarded. A thread was created entirely for this ONE case ....... A child was cooked to death by his parents this past weekend, I don't see a thread for that.... and yeah that is a little disturbing.

Start that thread then. People will express horror and disgust accordingly as they should. Meanwhile, in this thread they'll talk about the subject at hand.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about ...... watching Cops does not make you a subject matter expert. You might want to do your own research before jumping to conclusions. If you think there is an abundance of animal control officers or one should be present at all times doing yard searches you are mistaken. Seriously ..... a animal control officer conducting yard searches , animal control officers do NOT have police jurisdiction in most cases as they are a separate entity/agency entirely.

I agree with Crow though .... the outrage over a dog being killed is retarded. A thread was created entirely for this ONE case ....... A child was cooked to death by his parents this past weekend, I don't see a thread for that.... and yeah that is a little disturbing.

I think you meant you agree with Invictus Sol lol

Your reading comprehension is suspect.
Look at my first post, I have three links posted, all dealing with different cases.
The third link has multiple instances.

This particular case struck me as unusually egregious as the police officer went onto private property of the dogs owner and initiated a confrontation that caused the pets death. Police officers are supposed to be trained in upholding the law and deescalating situations not trespassing and leaving an innocent private citizen deprived of his property because of the officers poor judgment.

Odd that you decry the lack of interest in the child's death that you site but yet don't start a thread for it yourself.

Last edited:
Your reading comprehension is suspect.
Look at my first post, I have three links posted, all dealing with different cases.
The third link has multiple instances.

This particular case struck me as unusually egregious as the officer went onto private property of the dogs owner and initiated a confrontation that caused the pets death.

Odd that you decry the lack of interest in the child's death that you site but yet don't start a thread for it yourself.

Its disturbing yes ...but not enough for me to start a thread about was my point. Yeah in all instances its awful that dogs were killed. I am a dog person, I have two of my own and consider them my best friends/family. However where I draw the line is where people toss a blanket on COPS as dog killers..... the fact is in any job you get people who should not be doing that said job. Law Enforcement is no different, that why I said in cases like these the officer should be suspended/fired for their actions.

Also , all Law Enforcement does get trained on how to deal with dogs. But as stated SOME ( The vast minority) have a God or inferiority complex and take it out on others/animals. That is more the issue than training.

Can't believe what I'm reading.

This guy's beloved dog was just shot in the head for no reason and he is at fault for being slightly emotional to the police? He was far calmer and more restrained than I would have been.

How can any sane individual defend the police officer in this case?

I care for my dog more than some of my family. If someone actually trespassed on my property and shot him in the head because he growled/barked at them for tresspassing...I would lose it.

Disgusting that certain people view dogs as no more important than whatever new SS PF has gone up for pre-order.

Can't believe what I'm reading.

This guy's beloved dog was just shot in the head for no reason and he is at fault for being slightly emotional to the police? He was far calmer and more restrained than I would have been.

How can any sane individual defend the police officer in this case?

I care for my dog more than some of my family. If someone actually trespassed on my property and shot him in the head because he growled/barked at them for tresspassing...I would lose it.

Disgusting that certain people view dogs as no more important than whatever new SS PF has gone up for pre-order.

You're blowing this out of all proportion. Heaps of innocent people were killed in World War Two. And you care about a dog? You must hate all cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back