Why so many poorly trained police officers when dealing with dogs?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
of course. But killing any dog is wrong, thats the point, The law that applies to us should apply to them. Some would say it should apply even stronger to them.

My intitial reaction to this thread was much like everyone here... but after learning some things from a friend of mine who works in that police department my opinion has changed slightly in the officer's favor.

It's sad the dog died but you have to file this under "S*** Happens" and move on. The owner should be compensated, but asking for this guys badge and for him to be cited is beyond stupid. The man has proven himself a hero in past circumstances and is exactly the kind of person who want wearing the badge.

The safety of a missing toddler far outweighs the concerns of a dog owner. The officer had the right to be there. No warrant was needed. If the dog was hampering his efforts in the search and he tried everything at his disposal (ie pepper spray) and the dog wasn't yielding, then this sorry circumstance is the unfortunate outcome. It's the same as if a bad guy crashed a car while officers were in pursuit, and ran off on foot and was hoping people's fences. The officers have every right to pursue the bad guy through your yard. They don't need to get your permission before hopping your fence if there is a public danger. It's the same type of situation here.

The girl was found safe and hindsight is 20/20. That doesn't change the fact that this officer was doing exactly what he was hired to do.

Last edited:
Well, i just hate cops and dogs. Period. So a cop dog infuriates me. A dog is a tool of the law like a gun, pepper spray, shield, or whatever a cop owns. Its not a cop, its a trained dog. It cant make decisions or anything a cop can do, its basically a weapon. Manslaughter of a police officer is just the law accruing harsher charges. What the hell does a civillian get for a cop that commits homicide on a civillian. I mean, thats what im calling my friends dog if an officer wants to call his dog an officer. You arent allowed to protect yourself from a police dog. Any retaliation you do toward his/her dog whilst being ripped around on the ground is a charge on you.

From another site...
MESOSCALETrespassing police officers could be shot . They need to keep that in mind and get approval before entering private property. An animal living on its owners property should feel safe as that it their home, not somewhere that a police officer owns or has any right to be w/ o dire circumstances . The cop could have asked permission .

JUNE 28, 2014 AT 8:42 AM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

CHUBBY KID FROM SOUTH PARK
Trespassing cops have been shot, and in some cases the shootings were ruled justified self-defense. Warrants aren’t just required to protect citizens from cops. They also protect cops from citizens. You bust into someone’s property with a gun and you risk being perforated.

JUNE 29, 2014 AT 2:49 PM REPLY REPORT COMMENT

Something else to consider, the "missing" toddler was 3 yrs old. What made the officer believe a 3 yr old could scale that yards fence or work the latch on the yard door.

From another site...

Something else to consider, the "missing" toddler was 3 yrs old. What made the officer believe a 3 yr old could scale that yards fence or work the latch on the yard door.

You're making assumptions that the child may have just wandered off.

You're making assumptions that the child may have just wandered off.

Well if he thought she was kidnapped why not start kicking in doors while he's at it, he was already on the property?
Its all for the greater good of finding the girl right?

Well if he thought she was kidnapped why not start kicking in doors while he's at it, he was already on the property?
Its all for the greater good of finding the girl right?

Totally different circumstance. If a bad guy is hopping back yards the officer can follow them. They can't enter your house unless there is an outward indication that the bad guy could be there (ie broken window or an open door).

Now in this situation, if the search measures themselves had been escalated, then they police can enter your home - with or without your permission. If they see anything like drugs they can't arrest you for that and if they tried the evidence wouldn't be admitted.

Again, **** happens. Sad. But true.

It's always been there. You just had to be the right kind of person to know about it.

More people now. More incidents. More press. Hard to say if it's any worse per capita.
Yep, I think this is most likely the case.

...Again, **** happens. Sad. But true.
Hear, hear. It's pretty obvious that for some posting here, the circumstances don't really matter. Quite a few seem obviously predisposed to dislike officers and want to assume the worst about them. Spartan Rex*, maybe I'm mis-reading your posts, but are you trying to make a case that the owner of this dog would've had the right (supposing he'd been at home when the cop entered the backyard) to shoot and kill the officer for trespassing?

* - Sorry, initially addressed Spartan as Fosing.

Last edited:
I don't really give a damn that this cop was a hero on another case. You shot and killed my dog and now I'm going to make sure you suffer as well. That means lawsuits and you becoming at best a security guard at a mall.

I don't really give a damn that this cop was a hero on another case. You shot and killed my dog and now I'm going to make sure you suffer as well. That means lawsuits and you becoming at best a security guard at a mall.

Well you, and Kendell, would tie up the legal system with a frivolous lawsuit neither of you would win.

Lol, so in your mind, Josh, there is no possible reasonable explanation aside from the fact the cop is a psycho?

I think it's far too easy to condemn someone we don't know when our passions speak louder than our logic.

Totally different circumstance. If a bad guy is hopping back yards the officer can follow them. They can't enter your house unless there is an outward indication that the bad guy could be there (ie broken window or an open door).

Now in this situation, if the search measures themselves had been escalated, then they police can enter your home - with or without your permission. If they see anything like drugs they can't arrest you for that and if they tried the evidence wouldn't be admitted.

Again, **** happens. Sad. But true.

...and you're assuming the officer had evidence or been told the child had been taken against her will.
I haven't come across any evidence thus far that the police had "probable cause" to enter the back yard unannounced or with out permission of this private citizen. I think the officer was over zealous and made a poor initial decision which resulted in an even worse out come.
The dog was where he was legally supposed to be and I haven't read a convincing or authoritative enough opinion thus far that the officer was legally in the right for any of his actions.

The policeman didn't need anymore probable cause than what he already had via the search, to enter the backyard. That's the point.

Per assumptions, when a child goes missing you don't make presumptions. You follow protocol - just like this officer was doing.

Well you, and Kendell, would tie up the legal system with a frivolous lawsuit neither of you would win.

I would venture to guess in civil court I'd win quite easily. Especially when it appears there is no evidence to support the cop needed to shoot the dog.

Lol, so in your mind, Josh, there is no possible reasonable explanation aside from the fact the cop is a psycho?

If there was something reasonable maybe but there is no evidence of that right now. There is nothing to support that the cop needed to be there and nothing that says the dog was trying to attack the cop.

You know if the situation had played out differently and the dogs owner was home and had shot the officer after hearing the officer shoot his dog in his back yard.
I wouldn't feel bad for the officer and if sitting on a jury would vote for the innocence of the dog owner.

Because **** happens right Pixel?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're guess would be wrong.

*from someone who works in the legal field*

The department has already offered to replace the dog and give him a bit of compensation. The guy, at this point, is just being an *******.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back