Why is HT Batman Original Costume better?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just curious as to why the original costume seems to be fetching a higher price. I was thinking about getting any version of a HT Batman to complement my Jokers, but wanted to know the pros and cons of each and if original suit really is better than the later one.

I'm not even sure how many versions of the Batman there are.

The original suit is in lower supply (more of the new suit were manufactured for export to the U.S. through DC Direct), but also, it is a more iconic look in my opinion, which makes it more desirable. As far as I know, there are 3 Hot Toys Batmen: 1) Batman Begins Batman (released a couple years ago); 2) Dark Knight "original suit" Batman (which you are referring to, an improvement over the first release in many ways); and 3) Dark Knight "new" costume Batman

I think it is better because it looks more accurate to the real-life counterpart it's trying to portray, while the TDK suit Batman is, while beautiful, a bit too bulky looking. But keep in mind Batman never meets Joker in TDK until he has his new suit. The original costume is also more rare.

Another reason the original suit version from The Dark Knight is more costly is that it has been sold out at most retailers for a while now, and Hot Toys has updated their product page to say that it's sold out at their level as well. There's higher demand because it's far superior to the Batman Begins version (better headsculpt, better looking and more accurate suit, etc.) and people are getting desperate to get one, whether it's to display or to go with the forthcoming Tumbler.

It is fetching higher prices because it was never released outside of Asia, thus it is more rare. If you want a Batman to go with your Joker get the TDK Costume, since he never met the Joker in his original costume.

Thanks everyone.

So this is the box for the original suit?

batmanbox.jpg

it's not really "better" it is "rarer" hence more expensive

youre buying two different looks. i like it more because i like the original suit more than then the new suit. the old suit looks more like batman to me

it's not really "better" it is "rarer" hence more expensive

youre buying two different looks. i like it more because i like the original suit more than then the new suit. the old suit looks more like batman to me

Eh I think its better since its more accurate where as the DK Batman has to be customized to look more accurate. I don't think it matters what Batman was wearing when he met the Joker I have the BR Joker and the Original suit Batman next to each other........ Frak it ;) Anyways Joker was at the bank when Batman was in the original suit anyways :eek:. I like the Original Suit better and because of how good it is never bought the DK version.

I think the original suit is more expensive because people were holding off, that already had the 1) Batman Begins Batman (released a couple years ago), to see if the 2) Dark Knight "original suit" Batman, recently released, was that much better. Hot Toys production runs would be based on the amount of pre-orders they receive. People who don't pre-order, for whatever reason, help keep the edition sizes lower than they would otherwise be.

All up, demand outstripping supply.

I find that pretty funny. When they announced Batman Begins, and we caught glimpses of the costume, it wasn't as iconic as many would have hoped, but like the new Superman costume, it grew on everyone. It'll be the same with the DK costume and all the superheroes. Makes it hard for a new superhero to come up with a look. :lol

I don't know. The new Batman costume is nice, but it is so "busy," and it looks like he is wearing a helmet as much as a cowl. This just doesn't scream "Batman" to me the way that the Begins version did (which I personally liked a lot from the beginning).

DC Direct didn't import the Begins suit so there are less to go around. I think that is the major factor.

That's part of what I meant about the (prepaid) pre-order situation. Hot Toys has gained alot more popularity of late, for their obvious accomplishments, and early on, (prepaid) pre-ordering from Hong Kong was fraught with terror :horror and a loss of ebay securities, but was the only real option. Now they have Sideshow operating as a major gateway, so pre-ordering is felt to be safer, but actually no different on the whole. DC have their own issues, but I am betting they'll deliver what they promise, for whatever reason its, eventually.

Hot Toys appears to be becoming easy access, but it's the (prepaid) pre-orders that drive their business, and now, to a lesser extent, through Sideshow, (unpaid) pre-ordering. They are just making it easier, for more to be able to do that. BB was a different era. There are still lessons to be learned, and people want to be and feel more assured in taking the old road, that's a little rickety but mostly it works. DC have their part to play and it's significant, and there will be others. Early days, it'll all sink in, eventually.

They'll (Hot Toys) will want to expedite processes for other areas of the globe. For now they ought to be happy with absorbing the state of things, so it remains to be seen, eventually.

It's the iconic rubber suit Batman, pretty much the best made on the market, that's why. And i think you're going on the thesis that, why is it so EXPENSIVE? And, are meaning, why is it so good. Expensive doesnt always mean good (although it does in this case) but, it's just rare now is all

Back