Why do people here insist on going to eBay for their items?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's just the inexperienced buying from ebay, realizing that just got scammed, then posting here "I just got scammed from...."

I understand some people have their go to person for pre-orders on ebay, but that idea is crazy balls to me.

I agree. My rule of thumb is never pre-order on ebay. Paying that bit extra when the item is released is worth it for the hassle you will save.

ebay is great for the buyer imo...sucks donkey balls for the seller..
--

:goodpost:

HOWEVER . . . there are lot of scumbag sellers with overinflated shipping costs to make up for eBay/PayPal fees, etc. and scumbag buyers taking advantage of the system to make it difficult for honest/legitimate sellers.

I've been buying & selling on eBay since 2004, & had no problems as a buyer. As mentioned already, just read everything carefully, check all the relevant info, & either way you should be fine every time. :)

Selling has it's challenges though. Again - as mentioned, there's always a genius out there from time to time, that manages to surprise you with a new level of idiocy. :lol

I've had more bad experiences purchasing on this forum, in one year and a bit, than a decade on eBay. From flat out being screwed out of money, recieving items a little more banged up than I was made to believe, sellers thinking they are doing me a favour by fixing problems that shouldn't have happened..."for free", sellers I have to harass to even ship my stuff, sellers unwilling to ship to Canada but contact me to buy my stuff......the list goes on...

I think my foray into 1/6 will be brief. Some of the community are more about getting a quick buck to feed their addiction than providing customer service and being an asset to the hobby.

Rant over...back to the For Sale forum... :lol

I've never had a problem on Ebay, but then again I have ALWAYS been sure to use my 45 day PayPal window as ironclad.

Years ago, I got some great deals on ebay, especially for 1/6 and Hot Toys. Considerably less than MSRP and retail.

You can't really do that any more because every bids **** up and ruins it, but I did have some pretty great scores.

Nothing wrong with it. Not everyone out there is looking to screw you.

I use Ebay on items that are long sold out. Everything else, it's usually BBTS or SS (ex versions). I really wish I was collecting when HT Hellboy came out. That sucker went for alot of clams on Ebay.

Still can't figure out how to buy an HT Two-Face without spending over $300... lol.

I've never had a problem buying from EBay... And I would never have bought from eBay in the first place if Sideshow had kept its European warehouse.

After that, shipping fees and custom fees made it crazy to buy from them.

So, I was forced to buy from ebay the hard way. Well, best move I've ever done! Sometimes the prices are a little more than what we should pay, but I've never had to pay for custom fees from HK or China. It more than compensate for what I would have spit to customs over the years.

Plus, there are some very great, very reliable sellers! :)

But seriously, stay away from the bay man....I've heard nothing but bad stuff over there when it comes down to HT figs.

Ha! I'd say half my figures come from eBay. I use eBay regularly for everything. As a buyer I like it a lot. The couple of times I've had problems they've been sorted out immediately.

You sound like a grandma who doesn't know how to use a computer, talking all crazy. You need to sign yourself up for a computer class down at the local library, get yourself understanding what an eBay is and how to move your mouse to click on it. This question is just a step above asking why people buy on the internet instead of face-to-face in a store. Ludicrous it is. Just ludicrous! Madness too!

Ha! I'd say half my figures come from eBay. I use eBay regularly for everything. As a buyer I like it a lot. The couple of times I've had problems they've been sorted out immediately.

You sound like a grandma who doesn't know how to use a computer, talking all crazy. You need to sign yourself up for a computer class down at the local library, get yourself understanding what an eBay is and how to move your mouse to click on it. This question is just a step above asking why people buy on the internet instead of face-to-face in a store. Ludicrous it is. Just ludicrous! Madness too!

Ah, you've save me all this typing, ty :D

I have bought a lot of stuff from Ebay and haven't had any problems yet. My main thing is to read everything in the listing and the biggest thing for me is if its a stock photo I will not bid or buy on that item. I will always email the person before buying as well just to confirm condition etc on the item.

I have using Ebay sine 99 and have bought and sold thousands of items and have only been ripped off once. Though it is a little tougher these days I have scored dozens of Hot Toys figures far under retail.

I actually find it a lot more frustrating selling things here. I once had a item listed for 15.00 shipped and I also stated that the prices were not negotiable. A freak messages me and asked if I will take $11 for the item. Against my better judgement I reply back telling him that with shipping and paypal costs the least I can go is $13. He reply's again asking if I will take $12.50. I ended the correspondence but I am still trying to figure out if he was for real.

Last edited:

This. If a seller on eBay tries to screw you over, the smart money says you can go crying to customer support just as he would -- and actually win. Not all the time, but most.

I have bought an average amount of stuff on ebay myself with little to no real issues, but I prefer retail stores like bbts, monkey depot and the like for most purcheses, that way I know what to expect for important stuff like my hot toys(how it will be packed and mib not in a smokers home kinda thing). I use ebay to buy older stuff mainly, stuff thats out of stores or hard to find items. Works well for me so far.

Maybe the OP had a bad experience on Ebay? I have bought a lot of stuff, including HT figs, and 1/6 stuff off Ebay with no problem. I get better deals off Ebay on a lot of things than I would have at retail, you just gotta check often and bid that last minute, haha. I've been using Ebay for over 10 years, only had like 2 sellers who never sent my item or claim it was lost in the mail, but PayPal got me my money right back.

As with buying anything online, make sure you read the fine print. The only sellers I don't buy off of are scalpers, who pretty much buy all the rare toys in stores and then resell them at a jacked up price, you could pretty much tell which those are. I also don't like sellers that don't combine shipping, unless it's a reasonably large item, I can understand. Also watch out for those sellers who put listings for pricer stuff at a very low price, but then charge you like $100 bucks for shipping.

and scumbag buyers taking advantage of the system to make it difficult for honest/legitimate sellers.

I don't see a problem in shipping costs being higher than the price posted when you receive the package (like maybe an extra $5 on a $15 postage) since they're just covering the handling fees and the fees ebay now adds to shipping. I don't ever think it's fair for the seller to eat shipping cost unless it's their mistake, they're already getting shafted.

It is annoying with there are .99 products with $200 shipping cost... but they often get taken down anyways.

I ended the correspondence but I am still trying to figure out if he was for real.

No these people do exist. I had a guy knock me down $5 on an item the other day AND he was picking it up from my house.

I think it's actually a mental condition. I see my mother in law barter over a dollar when we are abroad. Best thing you can do is say no, that's my price, you want my stuff then pay for it... :rotfl

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I've never been screwed on eBay. In fact I've never purchased anything on eBay. Hearing all of your experiences does go to show how little I know of that site. But like I mentioned before how I constantly see threads or posts from members here and other forums claiming they've been scammed. I'm aware that those few shouldn't encompass every collector, seller or buyer, but like I said earlier that I'm currently situated in china and scammers are just hovering over you and will screw you over the moment you let your guard down.

I've heard so many stories of scams pulled off in this country, everyone of you here would be impressed at the creativity and inventiveness. In the end, I am just not that trusting of anyone, which is why ive never been scammed ever and explains my Bitter OP.

I've made hundreds of ebay purchases over the years and never have been scammed, it only takes some research and above all common sense to tell what is genuine and what isn't. It's not rocket science.

^ What

Familiarity, price, availability, security... :dunno

^ they

Been buying and selling tons of stuff since 1998ish. Love Ebay!

^ said

Back