Which order should new fans experience Star Wars?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katkuru

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, one of my nieces (She's 15)finally visits our house for the first time and noticed all the Star Wars stuff. Even though she knows most of the characters, she's never seen any of the movies! Unbelievable right!?

Any ways she's very excited to spend the weekend over here to watch all of the movies.

My question is which is the best way to introduce her to the Universe? Prequels then OT? Or OT then Prequels? I'm leaning towards the latter, cause I don't want her to loose interest in it by going Prequels first.

What do you guys think?:dunno

show her the originals (the good ones). then after that tell her there were three more movies made that take place before the originals, but they sucked massive insane ass that brings shame to the great originals, so there is no reason to watch those ones.:lol seriously.

Only the originals, IMO, in the order they were released. By the way, I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 other threads on this topic if you want to search around and see what folks thought in those threads.

I want to make this perfectly clear. There is only one way to watch Star Wars.

Ep. 4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6

End of story. That is really the only way to wrap your ahead around it as a new viewer.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they all make sense and pretty dam funny. I think I'm going with Balsquat, 4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6.

Sorry if this is a reposted question, I mostly hang out in the customs section.

Seems like younger folk enjoyed the newer ones more than we (older) did. If you were a kid watching the older ones, you're going to bias towards them as I do. But, who knows, she may up and tell you she liked the newer ones better and doesn't know what you're talking about. The dated special effects underwhelm her. She likes Jar Jar. You never know. I think either approach is fine, but honestly, I'd start with the newer ones for continuity unless you plan to discard them entirely. And if she likes them better, so be it.

Of course I'd disown her afterward. But, you may prefer to put her down outright. I leave that to you.

Star Wars then The Empire Strike Back. If your 15 year old niece hasn't lost interest at that point, show the rest in the order that they were released (Jedi, Episode I etc.).

So, one of my nieces (She's 15)finally visits our house for the first time and noticed all the Star Wars stuff. Even though she knows most of the characters, she's never seen any of the movies! Unbelievable right!?

Any ways she's very excited to spend the weekend over here to watch all of the movies.

My question is which is the best way to introduce her to the Universe? Prequels then OT? Or OT then Prequels? I'm leaning towards the latter, cause I don't want her to loose interest in it by going Prequels first.

What do you guys think?:dunno

I was in this situation with my bestfriend. I begged her to watch either LOTR or SW with me b/c she liked my 1/6 SS figures of them but she new nothing about them. Well she thought LOTR was boring, but she really liked SW. we watched them from 1-6 and she likes the whole saga. Of course she prefers the prequels as they have better effects and such but she still appreciates and rewatches the originals. She even tells me and watches them when they're on on tv. We're in college so age isn't too far off if that helps with any kind of decision making. So from my experience, go 1-6, continuity is there, and I just feel for a younger crowd PT then OT is the way to go even though most of us, myself included saw OT then PT.

Everybody says 4-5-6 first because that's how they experienced the story and none of us know what it was like to experience Star Wars with 1-2-3 first. I would like to know exactly how it would feel watching it that way so I could accurately compare the two experiences.

I'd let her decide. I know all of us have preferred ways of approaching a story. It's like Narnia, some people read by publication, some by order he wrote them, some Lewis' preferred order.

Though since she is 15 she probably already knows Vader is Anakin so not sure if it will matter much one way or the other.

And I hope nobody tries influencing younger folks to not like the prequel trilogy, that would be a bit of a bummer to have your opinion shaped by someone else.

A lot of the kids I've taught saw it 1-6 in that order. They love the PT as much as the OT and tend to find things about both series as good and bad in the same areas.

A lot of the kids I've taught saw it 1-6 in that order. They love the PT as much as the OT and tend to find things about both series as good and bad in the same areas.

Wow. You hang out on this forum long enough and you forget people are capable of making their own opinions on things.

Wow. You hang out on this forum long enough and you forget people are capable of making their own opinions on things.

yeah, isn't it great how kids can make up their own mind on things they like rather than hear/read some old timer ramble about how much something sucks over and over:horse

Darth Vader being Luke's father is one of the greatest plot twists/revelations/gotcha moments in cinema, and watching the prequels first totally ruins that. I can't see how watching the prequels first wouldn't ruin the story elements in the OT.

I can kind of understand watching 4,5,1,2,3,6. . . that might heighten the drama of Return of the Jedi, but you have to keep the plot through ESB intact.

Everybody says 4-5-6 first because that's how they experienced the story and none of us know what it was like to experience Star Wars with 1-2-3 first. I would like to know exactly how it would feel watching it that way so I could accurately compare the two experiences.

I'd let her decide. I know all of us have preferred ways of approaching a story. It's like Narnia, some people read by publication, some by order he wrote them, some Lewis' preferred order.

Though since she is 15 she probably already knows Vader is Anakin so not sure if it will matter much one way or the other.

And I hope nobody tries influencing younger folks to not like the prequel trilogy, that would be a bit of a bummer to have your opinion shaped by someone else.

Good point, the whole reason I felt watching the OT first was to build that excitement and curiosity of what came before. But she already knows about Anakin being Vader. Maybe we just flip a coin?:gah:

Back