Which Laptop to buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys have been thinking about buying a laptop for a while now.:cool:

With a little one now in the house it adds another reason to grab one so i can freely move around when called for nappy changes :D etc.

Thought about getting a Dell but them someone mentioned whilst they are good their customer service is rubbish after having experienced it first hand themselves.:confused:

My bro mentioned to look at an ASUS since i will probably be using it mostly to browse the net,play some sounds and hit the occassional game and movie on it.

I know its subjective and price would prob be under $2000 but any suggestions will be gladly taken on board.Thanks Freaks.;)

It really depends on what you want to do with your comp. Generally, I'm a mac guy, so I recommend a macbook. You get a lot of machine for your buck, included software that you'll actually use, great support, and a better overall user experience. What you won't get is a computer gaming platform. You can install Windows on the new macs and dual boot, so that's cool, you get the best of both worlds.

This is the part where you say "thanks, but I'm really not interested in a mac"

I don't really have any Windows recommendations but I will say this: A lot of PC manufacturers like Dell subsidize the cost of the computer by loading with adware (ie: spyware) and demo programs you'll never use. Most of these computers are unusable out of the box because there is too much running at one time when you start it up. If you buy from one of these clowns, make sure you get a Windows disc. A real Windows disc, not one of their discs. This way you can format the hard drive and and put in a fresh install of Windows, should you so desire. They may or may not give you one, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Unfortunately, must new PC laptops are coming out with Vista - which it seems most people hate (except my dad :rolleyes:). I got a Compaq Presario which I absolutely love. I've had it 2 years and have ZERO problems with it. On their website you can choose the size you want and the hardware/software you want it to have. I also got mine before Vista came out so I still have Windows XP, which I like a lot. I've heard that with Vista it's not so bad if you have a lot of RAM.

I have had my crappy Toshiba for 4 years and I haven't had a single problem with it ever.

Basicly if you want to play games.. buy PC. (dell) I have an Alienware Laptop.

If you're not going to be playing games... buy a Mac. It will last longer then any PC Laptop.

Don't think Mac's are that popular over here as most people i know have a PC.

Was just looking at the MacBook,Pro and Air and all seem pretty damn good so at this stage it's down to one of them or an ASUS notebook which my bro who works in IT is telling me to get.

Last edited:
I have a Dell XPS at home ant 4 Dell computers at work...decent price and good service IMO...Also I think Dell bought Alienware if your interested in dropping 4k for a gaming laptop ;)

Don't think Mac's are that popular over here as most people i know have a PC.

Was just looking at the MacBook,Pro and Air and all seem pretty damn good so at this stage it's down to one of them or an ASUS notebook which my bro who works in IT is telling me to get.

Don't get the air. It's underpowered and overpriced. It doesn't even have a CD drive. Get the Pro if you have the money. It's incredibly fast.

Anybody who works in IT will tell you to get a PC. It's the only way they can justify their existence.

Suprisingly after doing some investigating on the Mac site he was quietly impressed and like he thinks i don't see that i can wrong either way with what i'll being using it for.Thanks again guys for your ideas.:D

Back