when company comes over.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When company comes over they usually stummble around my room like a mindless zombie mumbling to themselves, trying take it all in. Ooos and ahhs here and there, and occasional 'wow' might slip out.

Once they have completed the full 'tour', usually the first thing they ask is...'How much did all this cost?'...in a dumbfouned hush.

At this point I expose myself to them.

I dont get much company anymore :(

Before people come over to my house, when they hear about what I collect, they think I'm the biggest geek - that I collect the types of action figures you see in Walmart, that I collect TOYS.

Then they come over and think I have the most awesome museum ever. They are in complete awe, and jealousy that they don't have the same thing. First question normally is "Where do you get such awesome stuff from???" They are usually so amazed that they are scared to touch anything (which suits me fine).

Favorite pieces are the 1/4 NECA Terminator custom, custom 12" House MD, Hot Toys Superman, and all my 1:1 busts (Arnie, Predator and Alien Warrior)

And Chase - yes, people ALWAYS ask how much did it cost. That's probably the second question everyone asks. I never give them a real answer because I know they will NEVER understand and simply judge me from that point on. My answer normally is "A lot" - and I try to leave it at that.

I agree that people associate money spent with your level of craziness so to speak. It really is a no win situation if you give actual figures. If you tell them "$100 each" just to deflect the question then they add everything for $100, get a total from that and say "YOU SPENT $2,000 IN THIS STUFF??? THAT'S A 60" TV!!!!".

If you tell them what it really costs then you are just plain out of your mind.

I find it that if you say "a lot!" and they keep pressuring you on price, then they are not really appreciating it for what it is. You should be in awe at some of this stuff if you see it for the first time and don't follow the hobby. Going straight to the price talk or dwelling on it too much tells me that your level of caring is just not there and no matter what I say I will be judged. Screw that. Do we really want to be judged in our own homes?

When they ask how much I have spent I usually inflate the cost by at least $5000, sometimes more.

I like the look on their face.

You should. If the price is really high they just stand there, unsure of what to say.

When company comes over they usually stummble around my room like a mindless zombie mumbling to themselves, trying take it all in. Ooos and ahhs here and there, and occasional 'wow' might slip out.

Once they have completed the full 'tour', usually the first thing they ask is...'How much did all this cost?'...in a dumbfouned hush.

At this point I expose myself to them.

I dont get much company anymore :(

Before people come over to my house, when they hear about what I collect, they think I'm the biggest geek - that I collect the types of action figures you see in Walmart, that I collect TOYS.

Then they come over and think I have the most awesome museum ever. They are in complete awe, and jealousy that they don't have the same thing. First question normally is "Where do you get such awesome stuff from???" They are usually so amazed that they are scared to touch anything (which suits me fine).

Favorite pieces are the 1/4 NECA Terminator custom, custom 12" House MD, Hot Toys Superman, and all my 1:1 busts (Arnie, Predator and Alien Warrior)

And Chase - yes, people ALWAYS ask how much did it cost. That's probably the second question everyone asks. I never give them a real answer because I know they will NEVER understand and simply judge me from that point on. My answer normally is "A lot" - and I try to leave it at that.

Man do I hate that question... :banghead

I agree that people associate money spent with your level of craziness so to speak. It really is a no win situation if you give actual figures. If you tell them "$100 each" just to deflect the question then they add everything for $100, get a total from that and say "YOU SPENT $2,000 IN THIS STUFF??? THAT'S A 60" TV!!!!".

If you tell them what it really costs then you are just plain out of your mind.

I find it that if you say "a lot!" and they keep pressuring you on price, then they are not really appreciating it for what it is. You should be in awe at some of this stuff if you see it for the first time and don't follow the hobby. Going straight to the price talk or dwelling on it too much tells me that your level of caring is just not there and no matter what I say I will be judged. Screw that. Do we really want to be judged in our own homes?

I had a Ex friend that judge me a lot for the value of my collection... :lol Screw that I said INDEED, Solid speaks the truth :lecture

Back