What's a good jumping in point?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kay-ess-cee

Freaked Out
Reaction score
And I posted this in the wrong forum to boot! Sorry. Could a mod move this to "How To", please? :slap

Kinda new to the scene, and I'm looking to put together the following figure, but I haven't got a clue where to begin.

5x1nvb.png

For the pants and jacket, I Googled and eBay'd "1/6 blue jacket", but nothing really hit the mark, so to speak. Is this something you just have to compromise on? In other words, do you guys normally go with something that's the same color and do some light tailoring, something closer to the style and dye it to the correct color, or just shoot for "close enough" and call it a day?

For the vest, I found from a prop replica forum, that a "tipperary eventer vest" was most likely used for filming, but I don't think anyone made a 1/6 version of such a vest. Would this be something that would have to be sculpted or am I just missing it?

5b8qjo.jpg

The scarf and boots I think I can handle, but the head, does anyone have any suggestions for a head that may look similar to this actor?

6ygn7s.jpg

Sorry for all the questions. I guess if you've been doing this for a while, you get familiar with what's out there, right? Eventually you just know that some random DiD head looks like the actor you have in mind, and have a fat "fodder box" filled with all sorts of goodies, but when you're first strating out, it can be overwhelming trying to track down individual pieces, especially when you don't know the proper names of individual items.

Anyway, if you can help with any or all of the above, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I'd say the majority of the figure wont' be bad... lots of jumpsuits and/or pants and shirts that could be dyed the right color. But that vest likely does not exist in 1/6. I'm not famiiar with the actor (or what this is) so I can't say if there's a sculpt of him out there, or something close.

On the plus side if you don't have to be 100% accurate there are quite a few tactical vests in 1/6 so you might be able to find somethign close. And the actor has a fairly square-jawed look so again you can probably find something useable.

I'd suggest waiting a bit. Arrow is a pretty popular show and i myself really like it. Sooner or later it might be picked up by a company. Or open up an interest thread for an Ollie and Deathstroke. Wait until season 2 and then open one. That way you are guaranted that the figure will turn out marvelous! I was thinking of opening an Arrow interest thread but i have a looooot of customs in my plate and i can't order more. So, my advice is: wait until next year, gather the cash (about 400-500 each figure), open an interest thread and wait for your awesome figures!

Dyeing or painting a set of BDU's is the easy part. The good news is, two companies made heads of the actor in question: Toys City made a combat diver and CM Toys made a gladiator figure that uses his likeness. The vest looks like it would have to be scratch built. Certainly not impossible, just time consuming.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I found a couple of things that may work.

@zebraten: That Combat Driver headscupt is perfect! I appreciate it. See, I never would have known that even existed. Thanks1

Back