Question regarding Sideshowtoy reward points.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFanatic

Super Freak
Reaction score
I haven't been collecting the last few years so I know I'm at least a couple of years late on this but I just found out all my Sideshowtoy points have expired. I talked to them and apparently they changed the policy a while back now. I was never notified, didn't receive any emails about it or anything. Did this happen to anyone else? Anything that can be done about it. I had years worth of points in there, went to log in to purchase something today and "poof" all gone... NADA!

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

They sent emails over a year before the change caused any points to expire, the main email I still have was from Dec 17, 2020. On Jan 1 2021 everything everyone had points wise had a 1 year expiration date attached, anything new earned has a 1 year expiration from date earned. Monthly statement emails have "expiring rewards" warnings now as well. There were some posts in here as well before Jan 1 2022 to remind everyone to use it or lose it. If you hadn't bought anything since before Jan 1 2021 all your points were gone Jan 1 2022

Q29ktWu.png

WfUEKN8.png

I haven't been collecting the last few years so I know I'm at least a couple of years late on this but I just found out all my Sideshowtoy points have expired. I talked to them and apparently they changed the policy a while back now. I was never notified, didn't receive any emails about it or anything. Did this happen to anyone else? Anything that can be done about it. I had years worth of points in there, went to log in to purchase something today and "poof" all gone... NADA!

I lost mine too.

I was gone for about a decade from the hobby, but checked a couple of threads for Spooktacular to buffer up my Rewards Points most of those missing years. I don't mind that I lost my points from Spooktacular codes, etc, etc, but the points I lost from actual purchased product were those I wished would have stayed. That being said, both Chicky and Sideshow Susan have both said over time, well back in the day, that while points didn't expire ( then), that they could.

Something I've learned is things like gift cards and rewards and etc, just spend it as soon as you practically can.

But yes, I do feel your loss because I was in the same boat. I'm sure they sent emails with notification, it's just that they hammer you all the time with sales related emails, that it was probably easy to miss them, especially with the pandemic going on.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I won a lot of small contests over the years, including in Spooktacular, so I have no ill will. Chicky and Susan were always generous with us here, and I benefited from some of it. ( Also back in the day, a Staff member told me that Susan and Chicky did contests for us on this board on the weekends on their own personal time, which is beyond generous. And they had to suffer through people begging them for free stuff for that entire week.....) Though I won't participate in Spooktacular anymore and won't order from SSC anymore, because I don't believe it's good business from my personal viewpoint. ( But if SSC is still the main US distributor for Hot Toys, then they are still going to get a lot of people's money anyway....) Spooktacular has/had marketing value for SSC as a business, so it wasn't 100 percent altruism. But they were more generous than any 1/6th company that's ever existed, so there's that too.

But during the pandemic, who knows how hard things got for many businesses to just scrape by and survive. Maybe canning those points was the difference between staying open as a business versus not.

Well, if you have some old store credit, and gift cards and things like that still around in your life, I'd spend them now. That's what I did a few years ago, I just cashed in everything else ( gift cards I had accumulated for years, etc, etc) because I started to figure things were going to get taken eventually, especially as the overall economy takes some big hits.

If it sits wrong with you, don't order from them again. Don't support any of their in house lines. They knew lots of people wouldn't check those emails in the endless sea of emails they send. They assessed you as a customer they were willing to risk losing for life. So honor their bet. That's my take.

I converted the loss as a new lesson. That's all I can do, and that's OK. Well for me. But I sympathize as I took the same hit you did.

From a business standpoint, the likely consensus is that they would likely only lose customers that were already lost anyway.

Look to the future. It's good for us. And we really don't have a choice in the matter.

Last edited:

You would have received at the very least an email on 17/12/2020, and probably others too, they have notified you of the change in their terms

The decision to make reward points expire was sucky, but they did inform you about it

They sent emails over a year before the change caused any points to expire, the main email I still have was from Dec 17, 2020. On Jan 1 2021 everything everyone had points wise had a 1 year expiration date attached, anything new earned has a 1 year expiration from date earned. Monthly statement emails have "expiring rewards" warnings now as well. There were some posts in here as well before Jan 1 2022 to remind everyone to use it or lose it. If you hadn't bought anything since before Jan 1 2021 all your points were gone Jan 1 2022

Q29ktWu.png

WfUEKN8.png

So yeah... I never got anything like that. I don't need to lie. I would just use them. I NEVER got their emails about it.

I lost mine too.

I was gone for about a decade from the hobby, but checked a couple of threads for Spooktacular to buffer up my Rewards Points most of those missing years. I don't mind that I lost my points from Spooktacular codes, etc, etc, but the points I lost from actual purchased product were those I wished would have stayed. That being said, both Chicky and Sideshow Susan have both said over time, well back in the day, that while points didn't expire ( then), that they could.

Something I've learned is things like gift cards and rewards and etc, just spend it as soon as you practically can.

But yes, I do feel your loss because I was in the same boat. I'm sure they sent emails with notification, it's just that they hammer you all the time with sales related emails, that it was probably easy to miss them, especially with the pandemic going on.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I won a lot of small contests over the years, including in Spooktacular, so I have no ill will. Chicky and Susan were always generous with us here, and I benefited from some of it. ( Also back in the day, a Staff member told me that Susan and Chicky did contests for us on this board on the weekends on their own personal time, which is beyond generous. And they had to suffer through people begging them for free stuff for that entire week.....) Though I won't participate in Spooktacular anymore and won't order from SSC anymore, because I don't believe it's good business from my personal viewpoint. ( But if SSC is still the main US distributor for Hot Toys, then they are still going to get a lot of people's money anyway....) Spooktacular has/had marketing value for SSC as a business, so it wasn't 100 percent altruism. But they were more generous than any 1/6th company that's ever existed, so there's that too.

But during the pandemic, who knows how hard things got for many businesses to just scrape by and survive. Maybe canning those points was the difference between staying open as a business versus not.

Well, if you have some old store credit, and gift cards and things like that still around in your life, I'd spend them now. That's what I did a few years ago, I just cashed in everything else ( gift cards I had accumulated for years, etc, etc) because I started to figure things were going to get taken eventually, especially as the overall economy takes some big hits.

If it sits wrong with you, don't order from them again. Don't support any of their in house lines. They knew lots of people wouldn't check those emails in the endless sea of emails they send. They assessed you as a customer they were willing to risk losing for life. So honor their bet. That's my take.

I converted the loss as a new lesson. That's all I can do, and that's OK. Well for me. But I sympathize as I took the same hit you did.

From a business standpoint, the likely consensus is that they would likely only lose customers that were already lost anyway.

Look to the future. It's good for us. And we really don't have a choice in the matter.
You would have received at the very least an email on 17/12/2020, and probably others too, they have notified you of the change in their terms

The decision to make reward points expire was sucky, but they did inform you about it

thanks for the replies.

I know it's hard to believe but I really didn't get any emails about it. I wonder if it's because I unsubscribed from them a while back and I just fell through the cracks. Had I known about it, I would have just used the points back then. I had over 16000 points, I'm not even sure how much that comes to but I think it was over $600 bucks (the rep lied about the amount yesterday, when I asked her). It was from ALL my purchases from Sideshow, as I was saving for a big ticket item.

I think the worst part is that is how little they seemed to care or help me when I contacted them about it, yesterday. Like I get it, why should they care about someone that hasn't even logged their website in two years, but that is so unlike the Sideshow I remember. These guys had some of the best customer service I had the pleasure to come across. I remember how other members here also spoke highly of it. I remember how you could messaged them about missing points from Spooktacular because of site issues and they would just add them to your account.

I guess I can't blame them. They have stuff for sale that from ages ago, that should have been long sold out. I guess times are changing. It's upsetting but I guess not much I can do but just follow MeatHookGekko suggestion. If lost that much from them (for not fault of my own, I must insist) I can't in good conscious buy from them again... might as well just support another website.

I'm gonna see where I can still get the HT Delorean from, BBTS is sold out.

Thanks again, fellas.

So yeah... I never got anything like that. I don't need to lie. I would just use them. I NEVER got their emails about it.

thanks for the replies.

I know it's hard to believe but I really didn't get any emails about it. I wonder if it's because I unsubscribed from them a while back and I just fell through the cracks. Had I known about it, I would have just used the points back then. I had over 16000 points, I'm not even sure how much that comes to but I think it was over $600 bucks (the rep lied about the amount yesterday, when I asked her). It was from ALL my purchases from Sideshow, as I was saving for a big ticket item.

I think the worst part is that is how little they seemed to care or help me when I contacted them about it, yesterday. Like I get it, why should they care about someone that hasn't even logged their website in two years, but that is so unlike the Sideshow I remember. These guys had some of the best customer service I had the pleasure to come across. I remember how other members here also spoke highly of it. I remember how you could messaged them about missing points from Spooktacular because of site issues and they would just add them to your account.

I guess I can't blame them. They have stuff for sale that from ages ago, that should have been long sold out. I guess times are changing. It's upsetting but I guess not much I can do but just follow MeatHookGekko suggestion. If lost that much from them (for not fault of my own, I must insist) I can't in good conscious buy from them again... might as well just support another website.

I'm gonna see where I can still get the HT Delorean from, BBTS is sold out.

Thanks again, fellas.
I know you're saying you didn't get it, am sure you didn't read it but it would have been sent I'm sure

Due to the amount involved I would message them back to ask them to prove it. Worse case, they provide the email. Best case scenario, they give back some or all of your points 😀

Back