What to do when family is criticizing your collecting hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
their house. their rules.

better move out. your house. your rules.

...you can invite them later for tea or coffee, with the option of putting rat poison or not is up to you.

i kid.

Collect smartly though, don't be buying things where there are little or no after market resale value.

I agree with your other points but not this. Collecting is about collecting things that you love. If your collecting items that only hold an attraction because of their potential value, your not collecting, your banking money.

I find this is how your collection gets out of hand.

"OMG the new Nick Fury figure is almost sold out, must have it!!"

Before actually assessing if you really want that piece. Valuable items in your collection usually come about by chance.

My husband dislikes my collections, if he knew what some of my stuff really cost it wouldn't take Skynet to usher in Judgement Day, I can tell you.

Most collectors have at least one person in their lives extremely critical of their hobby. What amuses me is when I get flak about my hobby, but the person complaining has a hobby just as nonsensical, such as putting rims on their car that cost $500 apiece. Yep, no way is that wasting money, nosirree.

:cool:

I agree with your other points but not this. Collecting is about collecting things that you love. If your collecting items that only hold an attraction because of their potential value, your not collecting, your banking money.

I find this is how your collection gets out of hand.

"OMG the new Nick Fury figure is almost sold out, must have it!!"

Before actually assessing if you really want that piece. Valuable items in your collection usually come about by chance.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Problem with that is all the coolest stuff that there has ever been is coming out right now.

:rotfl

I've been collecting movie memorabilia for close to 20 years, and the coolest stuff is always coming out "right now".

S
Collect smartly though, don't be buying things where there are little or no after market resale value.
Poor advice. They're not investments. Buy what you love... can't go wrong with that. Even if the resale value is bupkiss, you will always love them.

The way I see it, they will have something they love to do as well, how is it any different from what you do. pull them up on that and see how they react.
Its always worked for me when it happens

The way I see it, they will have something they love to do as well, how is it any different from what you do. pull them up on that and see how they react.
Its always worked for me when it happens

uh, I dunno, maybe the way they do it is different because they do it in their own goddam house

The fact is that 1/6 collecting is an older mans hobby and by older i mean someone with steady income. I think if I had discovered hot toys at 17 I would've been very frustrated by the costs.

I'm glad I have my own place and even my lady supports my habbit. I collect what I love and if I didn't my collection would be a straight mess and not worth my time. My favorite part is seeing my friends faces when they come over and are like "MAN your game room is SICK!" Its worth it so much more when not only u enjoy it but u have someone to share it with.

My family are quite supportive of my figures and collecting thing , Figures, Batman , Star Wars , 1/18 cars and BMX. My little Boy loves my figures 12" , 4" and Hulk figures. They like riding there bikes with me and wife likes it when she finds out mostly everything I get goes up in value giving us a needed boost to our income when we need it.

I'm 25 and currently live at home with my parents but I'm putting some thought into moving into my own place in 2 years time. Not because I'm uncomfortable. No, far from it, I get on very well with my family and I'm very good at looking after myself but I think a man in his late 20s should get into the habit of having his own space.

Like some people on this thread, I do receive friendly teasing from family members about my love of comics, books, action figures and PC games. I earn a generous salary as a pharmacist and work hard for that money, so I spend it as I see fit. After essential expenses and my hobbies (yes, hobbies aren't an essential expense, despite what you keep telling yourself) I save the rest of my salary.

I do have relatives who look down on this sort of thing and believe an adult shouldn't be playing around with toys, comics and games. Then again, their grown up 26 year old son isn't as educated, earns less and spends more of his cash on cigarettes, gambling and alcohol. So disparaging someone as less of an adult simply because they collect toys isn't exactly the way to go about it.

I'm 25 and currently live at home with my parents but I'm putting some thought into moving into my own place in 2 years time. Not because I'm uncomfortable. No, far from it, I get on very well with my family and I'm very good at looking after myself but I think a man in his late 20s should get into the habit of having his own space.

Like some people on this thread, I do receive friendly teasing from family members about my love of comics, books, action figures and PC games. I earn a generous salary as a pharmacist and work hard for that money, so I spend it as I see fit. After essential expenses and my hobbies (yes, hobbies aren't an essential expense, despite what you keep telling yourself) I save the rest of my salary.

I do have relatives who look down on this sort of thing and believe an adult shouldn't be playing around with toys, comics and games. Then again, their grown up 26 year old son isn't as educated, earns less and spends more of his cash on cigarettes, gambling and alcohol. So disparaging someone as less of an adult simply because they collect toys isn't exactly the way to go about it.

excellent post friend,
I really seriously hate hypocritical double standards like this, I have the same problem not only with toys but being a metalhead,

same people that make fun of me drive drunk,sometimes steal from others, lie,don't support the family when someone is in need... etc.

Yet I Am the freak because i have dollies and listen to metal....

I get it from both ends my female friends tell me Im going to always be single because i collect barbie and actiong figures. Granted my collection is more adult im only collecting 1/6 scale. In fact im trying to sell off my DCD stuff that isnt that scale because it is just taking up space.

My female friends tell me a man is not going to marry a child and guys sometime seem interested that i like guy stuff and girl stuff. their is bordom in their face when they see me excited about another custom i make so i dont show guys anymore i just post stuff here.

Lately, my mom and brothers have been getting on my case about my collection.

I'm fairly new to this hobby (I started about a year and a half ago) when I picked up my first collectible (Hot Toys Berserker Predator) on impulse at a comic shop. I don't normally treat myself to anything but at the time I thought it was amazing and I always loved Predators so I just said screw it and bought it. After opening it and seeing first hand how incredible it was, I guess you could say the Hot Toys/collecting bug bit me. I slowly accumulated more and expanded to NECA/Bandai products.

Now I currently have a sizable collection displayed in my room. I absolutely love it and enjoy everything I have, but my family members think less of it...

My mom specifically thinks I'm wasting money when I should be saving that money to move out. And that's exactly what I have been doing since graduating college. I've saved up a ton of money, I have a retirement account, and would consider myself financially responsible. I think I've spent around $5,000 on collectibles since I started.

I do agree that money would be useful for contributing to me buying a house, but I also believe you should spend money on that which makes you happy; which this hobby certainly does. In addition to money, my mom thinks I'm becoming more childish with these toys instead of going out and being more social. I admit I'm not the most sociable guy but I definitely do have a social life and go out when I can. Since it's winter now, I go out a lot less. She also thinks no girls will like me once they see my collection.

Basically her words have been putting me down and kinda make me want to stop collecting...

Anyone can share their thoughts on this matter?

Beat 'em to death with your dolls

And it's not like we're running around in our jammies going "pew! pew! pew!"
We collect and take care of these items because we value them. It's not much different from building model rockets, or cruising Hollywood in search of autographs, or some other "adult" hobby that takes time, practice, and (for those of us who customize) skill.

You say that likes it's a bad thing. :dunno
:lol

I get it from both ends my female friends tell me Im going to always be single because i collect barbie and actiong figures. Granted my collection is more adult im only collecting 1/6 scale. In fact im trying to sell off my DCD stuff that isnt that scale because it is just taking up space.

My female friends tell me a man is not going to marry a child and guys sometime seem interested that i like guy stuff and girl stuff. their is bordom in their face when they see me excited about another custom i make so i dont show guys anymore i just post stuff here.

I had over 100 Barbie dolls when I first met my husband in 1991. It didn't seem to phase him or any of his Navy buddies. I think Barbie often gets a worse rap than action figures. I haven't seen too many torches and pitchforks, here (on the Sideshow Freaks forum). You may want to keep your hobby under wraps when meeting new people or a new guy, but how do you feel about doing that? Certainly if a guy can't accept your hobby, or eventually come to understand it, then he isn't the right
guy.

My wife got me into my adult collecting, most of my family accept my collecting as normal, and even most of my nephews seem to choose a least one part of my hobby to collect themselves, if your friends aren't accepting they probably aren't your real friends. Most people I know either, eat, drink, smoke, gamble or party there spare and sometimes more away.....really is that anymore mature?

Back