What are your collecting triggers?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I have several:

• Astronauts. I cannot get enough of them. At this point, I think I am up to 10 astronaut figures
  • Exoskeletons. These continue to fascinate me, but I feel I have not yet found the right one. I only have two or three of these so far
  • Animals. I paid a fortune for a super-articulated crocodile. I have a pig that is beyond sixth scale, so many others
  • Female figures. I will look at every one up for sale, but probably only get about 10% of them. Again, that hunt for perfection
  • Dioramas. I need context and a place for my figures to live, but it turns into a slippery slope as the diorama is what triggers the need, but lighting and a display case are needed as well
What about you? what makes your eyes go (!!!!!!!). when you see a certain something?

Cool thread!

• Robots/Mechs - anything robotic immediately catches my eye, even if I don’t know what it is. It’s probably my the main reason why I haven’t gotten into Gundam. That would be the rabbit hole of death for my wallet.
  • Art prints/ soundtracks/ comics - I like to put up framed art prints, soundtracks and comics in my bigger figure displays. I feel like they add more life to the shelf.
  • Nostalgia- 99% of the time I collect based on nostalgia. Almost everything that I own is based on something that I’ve loved growing up. So naturally, when I see something from my childhood that triggers or unlocks a memory, I’m going to want it.
That’s all I can really think of at the moment. I’ll add more to the post if they hit me.

dzULgeF.jpg

• Nostalgia
    @LiamNeesons112 nailed it. Nostalgia is what created us, connects us, pulls us, guides us, drives us, defines us and binds us :p

qhtXH0q.jpg

• Expression
    I know it's risky for sculpt and paint to deliver non-museum visages, but it is so worth it when an expressive head sculpt come out right.

MCW8LUd.jpg

• Roger Rabbit and/or Jessica Rabbit
    I'll buy just about any statue/figure featuring these two 🥰

- Mainly Batman 89.
It was my first blockbuster experience in theater. I was 8. I was completely hypnotized by what was on screen in front of me.
Hard to to explain with words but will never forget this feeling. 🦇
IMG_2346.jpeg

- a few OT SW items and Robocop.

Sold circa 50% of my collection this last months in order to cure and just keep my grails.

I’m not even sure what happened. It’s a sudden urge to just customize every figure I get. More or less collecting figures from video games Ive enjoyed.

What about you? what makes your eyes go (!!!!!!!). when you see a certain something?

1/6th firearms. Lots of weapons.

Basically any set with a ton of guns generates my interest. I've always been thankful that the modern slate of Resident Evil figures over the past 15 years or so, all of them are stuffed full of guns. Lots of times there are also firearms that are rare to find period. Same thing I like about the DAM Gangster Kingdom and Extreme Zone sets, lots of interesting weapons that you won't find in any other format.

Figures that I regret not getting usually have lots of weapons: HT Commando/John Matrix ( lots of guns)

Figures that make me happy: The various Punisher War Zone figures that came out over a decade or more ago. Art Figures and someone else. Good guns but also great excuse to buy more guns to put around them. Same with John Wick and Blade and Mandalorian as core concepts.

I was fortunate to get a DuraSteel Mando recently at an amazing price point ( Very lucky on my end, no other way to put it) and it's now a justification to find plenty of blasters and laser weapons to put around him.

Blade I is basically my last "grail" and there's a decent chance I'd just be done after I get him, if he's ever made really well. Again, another excuse to have a backdrop dio of lots of vampire killing weapons. And with a new Wick coming out, I can send all my already acquired firearms in 1/6th his way.

GI Joe Classified released a RAH Snow Serpent. What caught my eye? He's got a rocket launcher, two pistols, an assault rifle and a classic "retro" weapon. Five guns. Makes me happy. The few loose parts I get now are 1/6th guns. When I see clearance figures at brick and mortar, the first thing I notice if the weapons are cool or not and how many are in the set.

Generally all collectors in our hobby are likely to be very "particular" about something. Some people just need the headsculpts to be done right/look right. Some people are sticklers into the cut, pattern and color of items that have historical references to them ( like WW2 collectors) Some people are very down to the bone about other issues. I get that, I truly do. You focus on maybe one thing above other things in a set. For me, I need the guns right. It's the one area where I'm very specific and very particular. But that's just me. Thoughts on it.

Last edited:
Interesting what makes people tick. I have spent many years, decades collecting all manner of things or stuff. I have been a butterfly moving from Interest to new interest, disposing of things, in most cases to good causes. I actually felt better about giving things away than when I acquired them. I am as you may suspect presently in the realm of 1.6 scale figures, in particular the Western genre in my effort to control the thirst restricting the parameters. This forum and my observation of others and their conversations has in fact aided my desire to exercise some control. For me it is head space and not wanting to create a museum of anything. I recently read a thread discussion titled, If you could have only 5 figures what would they be, I cannot get this out of my mind. I hope to reduce my figures to 5 maybe less. I have sold a few pieces, not seeking high returns. I am about to do so again very soon although I suspect most shall be donated . Anyway I deviate once again a common trait. I like weapons too and the detail needs to be right. I recently sourced a Glock 17 G4, which I wanted, no needed for my Paul Kersey...Death Wish 2018 kitbash figure. The THING is if I decide to pursue the RJ MacReady figure I shall have to do it well whatever it takes, it could be one of the famous five, time shall tell.

I find myself collecting bits of my childhood back- nostalgia running high balanced by what new stuff is coming out now. For example, I collect mostly 1/6 Star Wars, but just picked up a TVA Loki cause I really like the show. Then recently started collecting Dark Knight Returns from Mafex at 1/12 cause I read the comic when I was a kid. I really am digging the smaller formats like Figma and SHF. I have been selling a lot of stuff off too that I said I would never let go of and I wonder if collecting is leaving my system. I also feel guilty for all the figs I have on pre-order right now and am tempted to cancel a bunch. I wonder if I do all this because I am bored.

dzULgeF.jpg

• Nostalgia
    @LiamNeesons112 nailed it. Nostalgia is what created us, connects us, pulls us, guides us, drives us, defines us and binds us :p

qhtXH0q.jpg

• Expression
    I know it's risky for sculpt and paint to deliver non-museum visages, but it is so worth it when an expressive head sculpt come out right.

MCW8LUd.jpg

• Roger Rabbit and/or Jessica Rabbit
    I'll buy just about any statue/figure featuring these two 🥰
I am not bad I'm just drawn that way.

Back