What started you collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even as a middle schooler I was in the collector mindset, fueled by nostalgia of my earlier childhood. So, the Power of the Force Star Wars figures and ToyBiz Marvel figures from the mid-90s were probably the first things I bought with an idea of collecting for the sake of collecting, instead of just buying to play. It waned when I became an adult, but got back into it with the 25th Anniversary GI Joes, Classic and Masterpiece Transformers, and Dark Knight Hot Toys figures that all came out more or less around the same time, then it just grew from there.

when I was a wee child, I pined so long for a Marx figure of a cowboy in a black outfit that had lots of secret weapons. I forget his name. I finally found him back in the day and was so happy to take him home. Then I realized once I got home that most of the accessories had been taken out of the box (it was a blind box with no tape), and I cried and cried

I've been collecting for pretty much most of my life!! :lol Various toy lines when I was a child (I was very fond of my first 'unofficial collection' of care bear figurines - which I still have!). As for getting into film collectibles, shortly after the LOTR films came out, I inherited a ToyBiz figure collection from my sister who'd decided she wasn't into it anymore so it all stemmed from that. One day whilst out on a day trip I found a little collectibles store and they had a Sideshow Weta bust of Frodo Baggins which became my first 'proper' collectible from the films, thus the collectible floodgates opened...and the rest as they say is history!!

Have dabbled in Hot Toys, Marvel, GoT and various other franchises but have sold off most of them to concentrate on LOTR (which I always seem to come back to - as it's my absolute favourite film series) and which will be my main collection focus now going forward. :)

Outside of playing with action figures as a kid - when I saw Gentle Giant's foray into the mini-bust line with Star Wars characters that started me down the path of "higher end" items. Once SS introduced Vader in the Premium Format line that was it for me. The rest is history and I've enjoyed it all.

I was watching The Dark Knight in July of 2015 and I somehow thought to myself that I needed a toy of Batman and joker to look at. I have no idea why. But I found the hot toys armory + Batman and decided that was badass and bought it, along with the sideshow mythos Darth Vader because I thought it was awesome as well. I then found the hot toys bank robber joker 2.0 and bought that instead of the DX 11 because that was going for too high of a price at the time for me. My favorite figure is the DX 13 terminator 2. Got it in January 2016 and still hasn’t been toped by another figure.

My first time getting into statues (not counting the mythos Vader) was the Prime 1 Arkham Knight Catwoman. Dean Knight did a review on it and I decided that hot toys wasn’t going to do it and bought it. I think that was 2019 or 2020, I can’t remember. Now I have 9 third scale statues and I look at them more than the 60 or so 1/6 scale figures I have. My favorite statue is either Prime 1 Red Sonja or Batman Hush. No way I can pick between the 2.

I’m glad I got into this hobby because I found this forum in 2015 and I saw people posting pictures of their stuff and thought that was a fun idea! Before this hobby I never had social media, but I started my Instagram in 2019 (@seriouslug if anyone wants to look 😁) and I still post pictures here from time to time. It’s so fun taking pictures of these and it gave me something to do other than play games and watch movies, it forced me to be creative with posing and photography which was great!

My older brother started me down this path when I was around 4. He would bring me superhero trading cards and comics from our local comic book shop. Eventually, I was filling whole binders full of cards. He taught me how to bag and board comics and take care of my things. My mom used to teach me how to properly clean up my room and put my toys away in cases. Before the Power of the Force figures, my parents used to take me to swap meets and antique shops to buy vintage Star Wars toys. Then when the POTF toys dropped, my brother and I went on all kinds of adventures looking to complete the various lines. We went crazy looking for the defected Boba Fett who had the glove with the half circle.

Eventually, I turned 13 and my dad started shaming me and discouraging my collecting, telling me it was time to grow up and only “babies did that”. My mom was furious but the damage was done. So, I packed everything up and put it away. I would buy figures here and there, but nothing too crazy. Instead, I turned to collecting knives with my grandfather. Once again, I was encouraged and relearned to appreciate collecting. He passed away in 2019 and I kind of just stopped. The last knife I ever bought was a birthday present that I never got to give him.

My girlfriend of now 5 years, is a huge collector and loves movie props and art prints. I remember her introducing me to Sideshow when the Grogu maquette went up for preorder. She wanted it but at the time I could not wrap my head around dropping $375 on something like that.

When the pandemic hit in 2020, I was sitting at home with my girlfriend, and she started enabling me by showing me stuff online. Next thing I knew, I bought the whole wave of NECA Godzilla figures and a Kotobukiya ArtFX Darth Vader. It’s only a few figures right? No big deal….yeah right. I now had the itch and wanted to get the best, nicest versions of things. Very soon after I got into X-Plus (high end vinyl figures) and bought a Shin Godzilla for $400. Next thing I knew, I was talking to a guy on eBay about his Hot Toys 1/4 scale Darth Vader. At that point, I fully understood paying the premium price for these collectibles and I was addicted. Now here we are in 2023, with a full on collecting room and we both enable each other. We actually went half on buying the new HT Batman and Batmobile!

I started collecting when I was up late one night in 2012 or so and saw these "Playmates TMNT figures.:

I now know they are terrible, but back then I haven't collected toys since before college, and was blown away by pains and likeness. Now that got me into Hasbro, imports and so on for the six inch lines.

For 1/6 I resusted bc of prices, but got tired of figures not looking like their counterparts, low effort Hasbro and found my love for movie figures in 2017 or so. I began purchasing heads for and then when I got a well paying job went all in around 2020 or so.

I am now strictly 1/6 scale with hundreds of customs, most poorly done, and many 3rd parties now and Hot Toys. Well over 200 figures.

Had other stuff I let go, yet Mego/Palitoy Zorro, Batman stuck around, as did Captain America, Falcon and El Condor!(a Klingon re-purposed as my own invention, nobody called it a custom then)) these were the first figures I intentionally kept (preserved).

Mego, Evel Knievel , some Big Jim Pack, Bionic Man, 8"12" scale soon gave way to smaller scale mostly Micronaut, Star Wars, and some GI Joe. None of this was preserved or kept mint however, all by design played with. Yet out of some respect and love for them, I held on to them.
Was I a collector?
Every once in a while would revisit them, and remind myself how much joy they gave me as a kid.

If so I guess I was a collector from the go.

Or are we a distinguishing that from adult "collecter"? Buying for the purpose of display?
Not sure what the first figure I bought consciously for display was?
Yet obviously at some point I convinced myself I was no longer playing with these figures, but now "collecting" them.

Though some may rightfully argue; there was never a difference. :lol

Last edited:
My first SW figures back in the 80's were the Hoth Luke Skywalker, Taun-taun (open belly) and the Wampa. After the release of ROTJ though my sights were all set on getting Jabba the Hutt and his throne. And nothing's really changed since then except the figures got slightly bigger.

When I was a kid, I didn't get toys often, so when I did get some Transformers or Star Wars toys, I tried to keep them in good condition, with all their accessories, and make them last. When I wasn't playing with them, I kept them on display in my room. Then I became a teenager and everything went into storage.

When I moved out on my own in my early twenties, I spent a lot of time hanging around comic shops, and I slowly got back into toys. Hauled my old collection out and displayed them in my apartment, and with toys starting to be marketed toward adults in the early 2000s, my collection began to grow again. Transformers, McFarlane, Kaiyodo, etc. Then around 30, it all went back into storage.

Then one day, years later, while surfing online, I came across an ad for a Christopher Reeve Superman figure that I simply couldn't take my eyes off. It looked big, hyper realistic, and expensive, but being the huge fan of those movies that I was, I would somehow rationalize the cost, so eventually I caved and purchased my first Hot Toys figure. Man was I ever satisfied with that purchase, and with that, a toy appeared back on my shelf once again.

It was meant to end there, but a couple later I discovered the 89 Batman figure, Robocop, Marty McFly, Ash, Ghostbusters, and before I knew it I was back into collecting toys, only they were high-end 1/6 figures this time, and though insanely expensive, it somehow felt more mature, or perhaps, more sophisticated. At least, that's what I told myself, and continue to do so to this very day.

Like most of you, my collection expands and shrinks over time, back and forth, but the focus has been to collect "big boy" versions of all my childhood favourites. This keeps me from going down the vintage toy collecting rabbit hole, or from chasing MCU or DCEU 1/6 figures. Recently reduced SW figures down to three: Luke, Yoda, Palpatine, and there is a space for Vader whenever HT gets around to making a 1/6 scale ROTJ version. Looking forward to upgrading 89 Batman, and Robocop. Otherwise, I'll keep collecting until it's no longer fun, which I hope isn't for a long time.

I read and enjoyed all your stories while eating lunch. Love to read a good origin story. Keep ‘em coming! :duff

I started collecting when I was up late one night in 2012 or so and saw these "Playmates TMNT figures.:

I now know they are terrible, but back then I haven't collected toys since before college, and was blown away by pains and likeness.
Not gonna lie, I’ve relearned the appreciate the Playmates TMNT line. The sculpts on those figures are amazing and some of the paint apps still really hold up!

Excluding the TMNT and Barbies that I had growing up, my first actual collected figures were Mulder and Scully from Sideshow back in 2008. Then I followed them up soon after with HT's Resident Evil 5 figures, Chris and Sheva. It's amazing how much this hobby has grown and spread since I started out in 2008.

Combining the figures with my other love of photography has kept me collecting to this day. I do a lot of portraiture with my figures, which allows me to really study and appreciate all the details that go into these figures.

My current favorite figure is The Mandalorian, but it changes on a regular basis. :lol

As a kid I was bought batman figures, turtles, ghostbusters, Thunderbirds etc

I loved BTAS and was blown away by the knightfall comics

As an adult it started with iron man Hot Toys, then my first 1/4 scale statue was the OG Harley quinn. I've now sold all my figures and only collect statues

For it started with the Mego Worlds greatest super hero's line with Marvel and DC characters and the Mego Star Trek line , then 1978 happened and it was Star Wars until 1985 when the line ended . Then in 1991 the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire brought me back and never looked back. I got into 1:6 collecting when Sideshow started producing Star Wars 2006.

Last edited:
GAO09pJ.jpg

7brm2j.jpg

7edxio.jpg

7edxl5.jpg

7brexj.jpg
7brfgs.jpg

7brfav.jpg

Aurora Models was another significant "collecting" hobby and influence. With sevral franchises under one brand name.
Today we have hi-end collectable statues, back then anyone had to build and paint their own , Aurora was the way to go.

1977 Star Wars…
Mego Micronauts/ playing with my friends Mego Star Trek figures
Comic books
…then TLOR toy biz line sucked me in BIG time! When I was an adult…never looked back
For it started with the Mego Worlds greatest super hero's line with Marvel and DC characters and the Mego Star Trek line , then 1978 happened and it was Star Wars until 1985 when the line ended . Then in 1991 the Thrawn and Dark Empire brought me back and never looked back. I got into 1:6 collecting when Sideshow started producing Star Wars 2006.
Not surprising Mego was a gateway for several collectors. Both Marvel & DC , several fantasy and Pulp heroes, Trek and Planet of the Apes were tremendous, all in one compatible scale. They really missed not recognizing the potential in Star Wars,

Oh yeah, Thrawn and Dark Empire also brought me back to Star Wars, though I was not a fan of the 90s power of the roided eXtreme figures line, but I guess instead I became a paperback book collector, cause (for better or worse) I devoured much of that Expanded U stuff, and had a good collection of books. A loose semblance of the Thrawn Trilogy, and Dark Empire comics, still hold as my unofficial post ROTJ head canon, despite Disney.

Last edited:
Back