What started you collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GAO09pJ.jpg

7bregr.jpg

7brexj.jpg

Aurora Models was another significant "collecting" hobby and influence. With sevral franchises under one brand name.
We have hi-end collectable statues now, back then had to build and paint them yourself , Aurora was the way to go.

Not surprising Mego was a gateway for several collectors. Both Marvel & DC , several fantasy and Pulp heroes, Trek and Planet of the Apes were tremendous, all in one compatible scale. They really missed not recognizing the potential in Star Wars,

Oh yeah, Thrawn and Dark Empire also brought me back to Star Wars, though I was not a fan of the 90s power of the roided eXtreme figures line, but I guess instead I became a paperback book collector, cause (for better or worse) I devoured much of that Expanded U stuff, and had a good collection of books. A loose semblance of the Thrawn Trilogy, and Dark Empire comics, still hold as my unofficial post ROTJ head canon, despite Disney.
Great minds think alike . I remember those Aurora model kits , some of those are worth a mint now, especially the monsters. Model wise at that time I was infatuated with WWII fighter planes . I totally agree with you about the Thrawn Triolgy and Dark Empire as far as post ROTJ cannon.

I love what Figures Toy co has down with reissuing alot of the Mego figures . I pick up recently Batman, Robin w. removable mask, Superman, Flash, Green Arrow and Shazam.

McFarlane's Alien vs Predator set in I believe 2002.

s649008395989639175_p4695_i14_w570.png

Have sold it since but still think it's a great set for the time. Then bought some game and movie figs from McFarlane/Neca after.
Tried 1/6 in 2018, then thought no way, way to expensive after getting 2. Sold them. Now have lots Neca's, three 1/4 ones and I believe 20 1/6 figs.

Fell in love with Chappie, and as I couldn't have a real robot, I found the 1:6 and was blown away by the detail put into it.
Not sure if he is my current favourite or the movie-version Deadpool, though... But once I discovered Sideshow Collectibles, that was it! Nerd paradise!

First toy purchased as an adult: Playmates Star Trek: the Next Generation Lights and sounds Enterprise 1701-D. I bought this in fall 1994. Still have it. I made a stand for it. I've loved Star Trek since TOS debuted in fall 1966. I grew up watching Lost In Space and Astroboy - the original 1963 cartoon on tv. I had to have these two. I found a 10" tall Lost In Space B-9 talking Robot at Toys-R-Us in 1999. Got my first computer that fall, and found an Astroboy figure online - my very first online purchase.

Bought various 4.5" figures and some 6" figures. Kept some, gave most away.

I discovered 1:6 figures around 2001 - 2002. Found a Kenners 1:6 New Hope Luke Skywalker.
Upgraded to a Sideshow Collectibles 1:6 Empire Strikes Back Luke Skywalker.

I bought all the DC Direct 4.5" Legion Of Superheroes figures. I still have 'em.

The very first comic book I ever read was Adventure Comics Featuring SuperBoy and The Legion Of Superheroes - Issue 312- The Return Of Lightning Lad. It was at my Dentist's office. It was 1963. I was 6 years old. I knew I had to have some cavities filled. I was anxious. My mom who'd taken me to the appointment saw I was nervous and told me to read something from the magazine rack.

I picked that issue. I was allowed to take it home with me. That started me on reading comics.
And my lifelong love of The Legion. I knew back then. I would buy Legion figures if I could find them. I had to wait til 2005- 2006- 2007 to get the ones I have now.

I started buying Hot Toys 1:6 figures around 2011 or 2012. The first one? Superman- the one based on the likeness of Christopher Reeve. Others followed. I had to settle sometimes for second and third rate 1:6 figures: I got an awful Playmates 1:6 Mr. Spock. the figure was very muscular and looked facially like some random Vulcan, but not so much like Spock.

I purchased the QMX 1:6 Mr. Spock in 2016. The figure is light years above the Playmates version in quality! The intent was always to upgrade to better figures, which I am still doing.

I have about a dozen Hot Toys figures altogether. I have a few 1:6 Avengers figures.

I have about 45 or so 1:6 figures. There's also the 18 or so 4.5" Legion figures and some Star Wars and Star Trek toys. I collect figures from Back To The Future, Terminator, Justice League, X-Men, etc.

A desire to have visible physical representations of the various genres that I follow started me collecting. I have an excellent memory, and looking at the figures I own brings me back to a pleasant time and a place from my past.

Last edited:
When I moved to the US abut 7 years ago I discovered Weta statues, I fell in love with Dain on Boar but I never got it until like 2 years later. My first piece was Weta Smaug bust and then I collected SW, Marvel and other movie pieces until I sold all non-LOTR. I had almost all Weta pieces incl the SSW but I started to reduce the collection and I will reduce a lot further, I collect now Star Wars again, the family likes that universe a lot and it helps they have fun with the pieces. I will just keep few props and beloved pieces of Weta, unfortunately the Middle Earth universe stopped expanding and from now on it will be just more of the same and that made me lose enthusiasm. That explains my focus on Star Wars and 3D printing droids.

Fascinating reading everyone’s experiences!

I don’t really remember my first toy(s) but when Spider-Man 2002 came, I had gotten the 6” super pose-able Spider-Man and I’ve always known I’d want to get and play with action figures. Shortly thereafter I saw Toybiz’s Marvel Legends in the store and was just as enthralled, and frankly I don’t think I’d ever stop collecting, at least, not completely (even if I do slow down in the future).

I’m not even sure if I’m a collector versus someone who impulsively buys figures of characters I like :lol I was into the usual lines of toys growing up—TMNT, Hot Wheels, a little bit of transformers and Star Wars. I got my first 1/6 fig when I was super into DMCV and saw Asmus’s Dante. Bought it. Found out about their LotR line. Found this forum after looking for pics and reviews for their old slim rooted Aragorn. It’s been downhill for my bank account ever since.

According to Darklord Dave we all started collecting to compensate for an absent parent.
I had both of my parents. They used toys as a means to babysit me and keep me busy. Toys were also used as apologies or rewards too! When my parents were wrong, I never got an “I’m sorry”, but I did get a new Transformer. I’ll take that any day over an apology :lol, if only my girlfriend did that.

Was browsing online one day and just saw an online pop-up of a hot toy, 89 Batmobile with the figure and I was like OMG I need that. Ordered and delivered from Sideshow January 2014 my 89 Batmobile and it all went downhill from there lol.
Exactly the same for me…
I saw the 2011 SDCC pics and, as a Batman 89 fan, immediately felt in love with the Batmobile and thought I absolutely needed it, then followed DX08 and 09 and so on…😅

IMG_2459.jpeg
IMG_2458.jpeg

I started collecting a long time ago when I was a kid. My parents bought me a G.I. Joe. Of course, like every kid in the sixties, I bought every accessory that I could find. After that, I got hooked on megos Because I love the Star Trek figures and the super heroes period I was a huge fan of Star Trek and the 66 Batman series period fast forward to the 2000s and Hot toys came out with the 66 Batman and Robin. I absolutely had to have them. I was so impressed with them that I started buying other Batman figures from hot toys as well as other figures. When QMX came out with the Star Trek figures and that was it, I was hooked. I believe i'm 42 figures in and counting. I'm still trying to find the perfect balance of the best way to display them and get them to look as realistic as possible period I'm not sure if I'm going to put backgrounds. I'm still looking for the perfect lighting. I have to make risers for my detolfs. I also want to build a large shelf for the top of the Detolf for my 66 batmobile. I love it but it is massive. Very difficult to display.

Really interesting reading these and how similar the experiences are. I’m in Australia and my love really started on a trip to the States in 78 to visit relatives. Had just seen SW the year before and was on a high from it. During that visit which was over Christmas I got a few presents including:
IMG_7688.jpeg
IMG_7689.jpeg
IMG_7690.jpeg

Unfortunately no longer have the Vader head

Edit:
But I still have a photo of me with it.
IMG_7693.jpeg

But like others was also into various other toys like Micronauts, Space 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Thunderbirds, had the Action Man (which I think was the UK version of GI Joe), Lone Ranger.

I was obsessive about going to as many toy stores as possible, I think this started in the States and pined after but never got at the time things like the Kenner AT-AT and the original Spider-Man.

Went through a phase where I would ride my bike by myself without my parents permission for about an hour to the nearest Toyworld to stock up on action figures.

In the modern world I got back into it when I had a decent wage, was single lol and Hasbro were coming back into the SW business pre TPM. I bought pretty much everything at the time including those ridiculously buffed Han and Luke figures.

Dropped out again for a bit, went off got married, had kids and then saw these beauties and it was the beginning of the end lol for me:
IMG_7692.jpeg
IMG_7691.jpg

Last edited:
In 2014 I visited an exhibition where people showed of some figures and diorama work from lord of the rings. All scales from very tiny to 1/1 costumes. I loved some statues there, expecially Sauron - and so I ordered a Weta Sauron statue. Later a Darth Vader one. They looked excellent. But my main hobby is photography and there were only a few shots I could take and thats it. Beginning of 2016 I stumbled upon some knight action figures from coomodel an was nstantly sold! Knights!! And moveable! Perfect to pose and shoot outdoors as well? Feck yes.

That's it. And then I found out about hot toys and other figures...booom!

I've always collected some smaller 6" figures (and sell them when I lose interest) but as for what got me into the 1:6 figures...it was this forum! :D I somehow found my way here when I saw there were incoming Detroit Become Human android figures and was like "huh...there are a lot of these types of big figures, aren't there?" And then I fell down the rabbit hole, and now have 2 HT Lokis and an Asmus Vergil. Still waiting on those androids though. ;D

Back