What are you replacing your Detolfs with?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to concur that Moducase is, in my opinion, the best you can get, both in value in quality. I have three so far, but I plan to replace my whole wall display with them very soon.
Carnage 1.jpg

I have to concur that Moducase is, in my opinion, the best you can get, both in value in quality. I have three so far, but I plan to replace my whole wall display with them very soon.View attachment 686067
I would agree, I currently have 6 DF120s and 4 riser drawers on order with a few back half shelves. I like the velvet like flooring, cord management, open viewing angles, stack ability, back half shelves, LED lighting included with your purchase, ability to store vehicles, and 2 10A power supplies can power 6 cases with only 2 outlet sockets required which you can toss onto an Alexa enabled Amazon smart plug. Overpriced? Yes. But you just can’t beat them currently, best in the market.

currently buying those acrylic shoe boxes and helmet boxes. they arent dust tight but at least provide covers for things above shelves. if you stack 5 or 6 of them they be around detolf size. but weight limit is lower since the acrylics arent as strong as glass.

I replaced my detolf with wall shelves about 6 years ago. Detolfs, I never understood their use. Small and cramped if you have more than 3 figures per shelf, and I hated the glare from lights, at one point I just took the door off. I'd rather deal with dust and be able to clearly see my figures.
Plus their cost. It was $80 when I bought mine (I think, I got mine in 2015 and I'm estimating lol).
My first wall shelf was 18 inches deep and 36 inches long and cost maybe $50 for the wood, brackets and screws.

Now garage shelves are even better, they can hold a ton of weight, and you can customize them for cheaper and quicker than getting a moducase, which IMO is just a overpriced, crappy version of a garage shelf that you can't customize once you get it, since you can adjust the height of your garage shelf if you need the height room.

Where does one get these Moducases?

Edit: nervermind. Found them. WAY overpriced, because, as with anything made specifically for this hobby, once it’s labeled for “collectibles”, they Jack the price up 300% for no good reason.
I know! I got a little excited till I saw the prices. Even the Ikea ones that Skyroes mentions are a bit pricey for me. I have been looking at a few collection videos on YouTube, just to see what they're using.

I replaced my detolf with wall shelves about 6 years ago. Detolfs, I never understood their use. Small and cramped if you have more than 3 figures per shelf, and I hated the glare from lights, at one point I just took the door off. I'd rather deal with dust and be able to clearly see my figures.
Plus their cost. It was $80 when I bought mine (I think, I got mine in 2015 and I'm estimating lol).
My first wall shelf was 18 inches deep and 36 inches long and cost maybe $50 for the wood, brackets and screws.

Now garage shelves are even better, they can hold a ton of weight, and you can customize them for cheaper and quicker than getting a moducase, which IMO is just a overpriced, crappy version of a garage shelf that you can't customize once you get it, since you can adjust the height of your garage shelf if you need the height room.
I hear you,

After all, it should be about what's on the shelves rather than the shelves themselves.

The price and the wait-time are big offputting factors with Moducase. And if you are placing an order you better be damn sure of exactly what you need because a separate order made later presumably won't be expedited to ship with your main order.

I might still get at least one DF120 though. It's probably the best thing for the '89 Batmobile.

There’s been a lot of value traction with these garage shelf builds that are very economical, can look nice but have to put in work. It’s a good option to maximize display space on a budget.

I looked at Moduspace, downloaded their instructions and decided to go custom. I can build a better case with higher quality paneling and display materials for about 30% the cost of a moducase and have it right now. This is not for everyone, I am handy at building things and have a shop to cut/frame tap/sink/paint things with which overcomes a lot of the upfront costs that have a high entry barrier going this route for most to get the payoff.

I just cleared out my display from detolfs and am now building 36 Moducase style display boxes to integrate. Will probably take me 2-3 months with work to complete but spending $5k vs $15k plus whatever crazy shipping and have higher quality components was worth it.

The vehicles display boxes are the big value piece to display, I need 8 slots for ecto’s, batmobiles and deloreans.

Last edited:
Looked up Moducase...holy censored, they are pricey! I'm maxed out on space as far as Detolfs I can fit so it doesn't really matter to me that they were discontinued. I built recessed shelving for all of my 1/4 scale stuff and used the detolfs for 1/6. If I had to do it again, I'd do recessed for all my collectibles...

If anyone wants to entertain that idea, you'd basically just lose the same amount of space as you would with moducase or detolf at a fraction of the cost. you build the frame from 2X4s and drywall the finish to match your current wall. Someone out in these threads I've got a brief how-to that I shared when I finished my basement. I won't dig it up unless someone on here cares to assess that as an option.

Looked up Moducase...holy censored, they are pricey! I'm maxed out on space as far as Detolfs I can fit so it doesn't really matter to me that they were discontinued. I built recessed shelving for all of my 1/4 scale stuff and used the detolfs for 1/6. If I had to do it again, I'd do recessed for all my collectibles...

If anyone wants to entertain that idea, you'd basically just lose the same amount of space as you would with moducase or detolf at a fraction of the cost. you build the frame from 2X4s and drywall the finish to match your current wall. Someone out in these threads I've got a brief how-to that I shared when I finished my basement. I won't dig it up unless someone on here cares to assess that as an option.
That’s a tough one and a no go for people who rent. Also a 100% sunk cost potential unless it’s your forever home. Could also hurt resale value of the home with your walls carved out. But may make a wife or decorator happy to give fill those shelves up with crap from home goods or TJ max. Haha.

garage shelf can be paired with those $10 acrylic shoe boxes. the helmet size can hold quite a few 1/6. it even fits a 1/6 bike. there are small gaps around the doors but that can be sealed with a shower glass silicone strip.

I would consider Moducases but too expensive in my opinion. Plus the fact that you have to wait to get them. So you’re waiting on figures plus a way to display them.

I just found some shelving units that aren’t enclosed. Having to dust is annoying but I prefer how they look. I’ve never liked Detolfs.

I was able to capitalize on their Black Friday sale, then later modified my order from a DF1801, to 6 DF120s months later. Not only was it extremely easy, but they continued to honor my discount which gave me a bigger discount due to the 6 DF120s being more expensive than the DF1801, no refund required, only had to pay the difference. I’d rather hurry and get my order in and wait than to sit around contemplating ordering and time pass only to place an order later, sooner the better. Months pass quickly.

That’s a tough one and a no go for people who rent. Also a 100% sunk cost potential unless it’s your forever home. Could also hurt resale value of the home with your walls carved out. But may make a wife or decorator happy to give fill those shelves up with crap from home goods or TJ max. Haha.
Now there's a factor I'd need to consider. I would be renting, so I can't screw anything to a wall. Billys look good to me.

I would consider Moducases but too expensive in my opinion. Plus the fact that you have to wait to get them. So you’re waiting on figures plus a way to display them.

I just found some shelving units that aren’t enclosed. Having to dust is annoying but I prefer how they look. I’ve never liked Detolfs.

The one thing that bugged me about anything like a detolf would be the faff of rescuing a fallen figure. This would be especially irksome if you bump the shelf above while reaching in and kill everything on it!

100% agree, this is a "I'm never moving again" option, for sure :)

Where does one get these Moducases?

Edit: nervermind. Found them. WAY overpriced, because, as with anything made specifically for this hobby, once it’s labeled for “collectibles”, they Jack the price up 300% for no good reason.

I started with Detolfs and traditional glass cabinets but upgraded to Moducase last year.

Sideshow, Specfic, etc. carry them but it’s probably better to buy direct from Moducase so there is no middleman should an issue arise - their customer service is usually pretty good, they’ll ship you replacement parts immediately.

I really like the modern classy look and the uniform LED strip lighting really accentuates everything inside. The cases do a good job of being “dust proof” inside but the acrylic panels attract a lot of dust outside.

The cons of Moducase are the slow turnaround, price and lack of flexibility with the shelving (each case is a set height, you can’t adjust). The old assembly instructions were not good, the newer one is better.

I’m impressed with all the DIY garage rack projects that look just as good as Moducase. Unfortunately, I’m not a handyman so can’t make my own.

While the DIY garage racks are significantly cheaper than Moducase, you also have to factor in all the opportunity costs of all the time spent researching, sourcing materials, learning curve mistakes, inconsistencies, etc. Time is money too but kudos to those that can DIY.

Last edited:
I’ve started selling off my Detolfs. I will either build customs myself or get someone to do it for me. Will be waay cheaper than Moducase and will get it waay quicker as well.

Back