What are you replacing your Detolfs with?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evil_Deadite

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now that the Detolf has gone the way of the Dodo, what are some good alternatives?

If you already have a few Detolfs, but you need more displays, are you mixing and matching with something else? Replacing your existing Detolfs completely and switching to a totally differently display option?

Curious to know what others are doing!

I'd planned to custom build but life planned out a little different and so I'll have to make due with what I've got for now.

In reality, I do expect IKEA to go back on this and ultimately do what they should have done and redesign it from the ground up, not replace it with that smaller metal framed thing. But it's going to be a long time until that happens.

Right now I have 3 pretty full detolfs, with a closet full of boxed figures waiting to be opened, and several more on that way. Is it worth it to try and track down additional second hand detolfs to keep this uniformity going, knowing that if I need more later on, or if one breaks, I'll most likely be **** out of luck.

Or maybe it's time to just sell em, and pony up for one massive glass display case, which can house all my figures together? I can't decide....

I'd planned to custom build but life planned out a little different and so I'll have to make due with what I've got for now.

In reality, I do expect IKEA to go back on this and ultimately do what they should have done and redesign it from the ground up, not replace it with that smaller metal framed thing. But it's going to be a long time until that happens.
You really think they'll bring it back? They must have some understanding of what collector nerds use them for ffs.

imo billy with glass doors and maybe glass shelves a better value option esp since it uses more vertical space. if only they had side glasses too. my quirk would be the thin backing boards.

ikea sells another 2 door glass cabinet but cost much more.

I bought some Skuffens from IKEA. Not nearly the same thing as a Detolf, but it's a little bit doable.

Now those I like! I could use them for 1/6, Black Series and possibly 1/18 cars. Good call.

Replaced most of mine with billy's with glass doors. Also some kallax for open non glass covered displays (star wars vehicles etc)

Neat! I plan on raiding Ikea when I move anyway. It's nice to have options.

I’ve purchased several Moducases and wouldn’t want anything else. They seem like one of the very best options on the market today.
IMG_5013.jpeg

You really think they'll bring it back? They must have some understanding of what collector nerds use them for ffs.

I think it'll happen. The detolf transcended collectors and was purchased by a lot of audiences. I've seen them in health care waiting rooms, classrooms, stores, and more. I don't think IKEA pulled it from their offerings on a whim, or made the decision lightly. But I think a combination of cost to produce and people over tightening them pushed IKEA to do so.

looking for solution to add cover to kallax. anyone figured out?

Try these Display windows for IKEA® KALLAX unit

Now those I like! I could use them for 1/6, Black Series and possibly 1/18 cars. Good call.

I bought two of these in hopes of using them as a way to display things on rotation, like a figure of the month type sort of deal, and keep it on top of a detolf. I caution you with these as they are very creaky and not the sturdiest things in the world. The lateral sides do not seal (though some adhesive foam could probably change that) and the access door has a huge hole.

Not bad, mind you. Just not ideal. I'm sure a little creativity could do good work with these. But just be aware of the drawbacks intrinsic to them.

Bestas for 1/4 and larger, Target cube shelves (the ones with 13" clearance) for 1/6 and smaller.

I purchased a BLALIDEN, which I think is the "official" replacement for the DETOLF.

It's okay, it's got pros and cons. The primary drawback is that it's simply smaller, you fit less figures per shelf. Three fit comfortably on a DETOLF, but three are cramped on a BLALIDEN.

The BLALIDEN is more sturdy, there are additional notches in the frame so you can adjust the height of the shelves, whereas the DETOLF had fixed shelves. And the frame is constructed in such a way that you can run wires in it, and they're fairly well hidden, so it was built with cable management in mind.

Overall, I won't be getting more simply because it doesn't fit with the decor of my home.

I bought two of these in hopes of using them as a way to display things on rotation, like a figure of the month type sort of deal, and keep it on top of a detolf. I caution you with these as they are very creaky and not the sturdiest things in the world. The lateral sides do not seal (though some adhesive foam could probably change that) and the access door has a huge hole.

Not bad, mind you. Just not ideal. I'm sure a little creativity could do good work with these. But just be aware of the drawbacks intrinsic to them.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

I’m a bit over Ikea. I’ve been buying detolfs for nearly twenty years and to get rid of them was a real slap in the face. One of their best selling products. I think I’m going to investigate most cost effective way of building my own display. Moducase look great but are insanely over priced for what they are.

Back