Statue Weta Announces Barad-Dur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barad Dur and Dark rider or mordor are coming up almost at the same time next year. They are both around 700-800$ and its a lot of money for my wallet :slap

I think im going to choose one and pick the other one later in 2013. Which one guys would you choose getting first?

I think Barad-Dur has to be your pick, for its iconic-ness as a location and what it represents, as well as being made by the people who designed and built the model for the films ;)

Barad Dur and Dark rider or mordor are coming up almost at the same time next year. They are both around 700-800$ and its a lot of money for my wallet :slap

I think im going to choose one and pick the other one later in 2013. Which one guys would you choose getting first?

You're not gonna go wrong with either. You could always flex the RWOS pf and make it easier to get both.

Barad-Dur has a limited edition of 1000.
RWOS has a limited edition of 500 (not very special, really) and a regular open edition.
I think Barad-Dur will be sold out before, but the two are great statues.
I've got the same problem (I had to choose) and finally I've chosen BD for the reason I've writen and becouse I've got the old Sideshow-Weta RWOS.

Barad-Dur would be my pick if I had to choose...of course it would be more difficult a choice for me if I did not already have the SS/W Ringwraith on Steed Statue...

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna keep barad dur and delay the rwos with flexpay. That's a lot of cash for a hobby 1500$!!!
We are going to move soon to a new bigger house for the kids and we need cash. My wife knows the price for the RWOS and it was hard to justify but she doesn't know for Barad Dur. I must be wise in my orders and I think I can't pass on that environment. It looks so great ( from what I saw of comic con pics) .If someone have better close up pics, please share.

I don't own a sauron statue yet and for me barad dur is sauron for the entire trilogy.

it won't be soldout for a very long time. rwos ex will.

You don't know how many have been sold of each item, so this is just your opinion.

As said, i believe it's still better to go with Barad-Dur as there's only one version of it..... there's an open edition of the RWOS, so if anything will be cheaper to get after release, it'll be that. In my opinion ;)

I thought that it would bug me but in person it didn't at all. The piece itself is so impressive that I think people will be fine with it.

You don't know how many have been sold of each item, so this is just your opinion.

As said, i believe it's still better to go with Barad-Dur as there's only one version of it..... there's an open edition of the RWOS, so if anything will be cheaper to get after release, it'll be that. In my opinion ;)

I think you're right. The thing is that we never saw a picture of the RWOS with the sword clearly. A 360° close up would be nice. I'm afraid that I pass on barad dur and miss it and RWOS oe still available and could get it after its released for less expensive and better to display it without the sword.
I don't know if I can move my NRD on RWOS to something else?
I have until end of December to decide.

you should know better by now the value difference between ex vs reg. rwos ex will sellout long before barad dur. With the rwos reg been open edition, why on earth would you not lock yourself to the ex instead of getting a reg later on, thats a couple hundred $$ difference in aftermarket value..

bd will not sell out anytime soon that 1000 es is a joke at the ridiculous price they are asking. Mark this post and revisit in a year.

you should know better by now the value difference between ex vs reg. rwos ex will sellout long before barad dur. With the rwos reg been open edition, why on earth would you not lock yourself to the ex instead of getting a reg later on, thats a couple hundred $$ difference in aftermarket value..

bd will not sell out anytime soon that 1000 es is a joke at the ridiculous price they are asking. Mark this post and revisit in a year.

I will agree here is that the Barad-Dur ES should have been 500 to 750 and the price around 500

Last edited:

Interesting take, the maquettes seem to be suffering in the aftermarket after selling out, the latest baring selling for more than retail. Its a true test of collector mentality though if a ROWS PF EX sells for hundreds more than an open edition version because of a (sort of lame) switch out hand and a numbered base.

I'm not counting the exclusive version because it's a minor difference to the statue. A fan will have gotten the exclusive when it went up, and if a casual collector wants one, the regular will suit them just fine. It's still a ringwraith on steed, which is what they're after after all.

From Daniel Falconer at Weta:

We're in this for the long haul as far as both LOTR and The Hobbit goes. We have many new LOTR items of various sorts on our development slate, and we intend to find homes for them all. That said, focus will certainly shift once The Hobbit is upon us. It's what is current and is where attention will be directed with, hopefully, lots of new fans discovering Middle-earth through these new films and in turn also finding and collecting and our goodies. We'd be mad to ignore that and not try to make the most of it. So, The Hobbit is where our energies will be directed in 2013, but rest assured, it will not be to the exclusion of LOTR.

What you should expect is an initial switch of emphasis to The Hobbit while the glow of the first film is so bright and LOTR releases will slow down as a result. We see The Hobbit and LOTR as all part of the same vision, hence why the bases and general style of our collectibles has remained consistent. In the long term I would imagine (my guesses here) that LOTR will creep back up and The Hobbit will settle back until eventually we'll be doing both roughly evenly, or at least as much as the market dictates. We'll go where people have wants and do the stuff folks are eager for, regardless of the source, so long as its a license we hold or can get.

Rest assured, we'll still be making and releasing LOTR collectibles throughout the releases of The Hobbit films, but the quantity and frequency will be less, initially, with some lines more affected than others, just because The Hobbit offers such a deep well of untapped material that we know a lot of people will be hungry to own. We agree there is a tonne of exciting LOTR stuff still to do across many lines, mini environments and helms among them, and we plan on getting to them, but now we have to fit The Hobbit in as well, so there will be some shuffling and rearranging to accommodate that juggernaut.

We see LOTR and The Hobbit as all part of the same love affair with Middle-earth. Appreciating everyone will have their favourites, we hope that our LOTR faithfuls will embrace what we have to offer for The Hobbit, and likewise that many of the folks who will discover Weta through The Hobbit will also become LOTR collectors and have LOTR collectibles that they can obtain from us right now too.

That strategy is already in effect. That's why Rivendell is an open edition and why Bag End had an open edition version as well. We know these items have long lasting appeal and we want them to be available to new Hobbit fans as well. Barad-dur is another example. We timed the release and set the ES for Barad-dur so that we could reasonably expect there to still be a few available for those who will discover Weta collectibles in the build up to The Hobbit, happening right now, and from our perspective it has worked very well. It's a balancing act between exclusivity for our core fan base, whose passion and loyalty we deeply appreciate, but also wanting to extend our reach and have really cool stuff from both LOTR and The Hobbit ready when the new movies hit.

So, yes, there will be fewer LOTR releases while The Hobbit is the new baby demanding of its parents affection, but that doesn't mean we love our elder children any less, and will make sure LOTR gets its share of love as well. It may just have to be an understanding elder sibling for a little while, if that analogy makes any sense and hasn't been stretched.
;)

Makes sense there will be more hobbit stuff coming. It's gonna be the main focus but its also nice to know lotr stuff will keep coming at the same time.

Back