WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real reason it was changed is because Synder felt it would take up too much time to properly introduce the squid and all of that backstory. As it was the whole Watchmen story which could easily be 12-14 hours proper was severely cut down in the 2 hrs and 45 minutes.

As for the Dr. M idea, The Russians saw the destruction of Moscow and then New York minutes after. So the idea is that Dr. M is the larger threat and is even attacking his home country so they have to band together to try and handle it. If something from the US actually went Rogue it'd be perceived as a larger threat it'd be handled as such, think about terrorist groups that are based in the Middle East. We aren't destroying Pakistan to get Bin Laden even though the general thought is that he is there and we are even working with them to try and find him. Same kind of idea....they would work with us to try and stop the greater threat.

None of this deeper level things will ever be shown in the film because there isn't enough "time" to do it. After watching Under the Hood and the Black Freighter I could see in spades how much it would have helped the general population to have those interwoven into the actual film. I really wish Synder had actually filmed everything, released an abbridged version for the theaters and given us Watchmen proper on a set of DVDs or something similar.

But, but... the alien squid could have been explained in one or two sentences, just like it was in the book! Still reeks of BS to me.

Agreed there's not enough time to do the story justice in a typical 3-hour film... which is why the argument is so strong that it shouldn't have been a theatrical film in the first place... there was just no way it was going to attract the 'general' public, it was destined for failure (in the theaters) from the beginning! I agree that putting it all on DVD would be awesome. And I will give the director's cut a chance when it comes out :duff

The squid wasn't removed from the film because of Snyder. It was never in any draft of the scripts... EVER. If I recall, it wasn't even in the 1989 Sam Hamm script (which was long since abandonded anyway... and thank God for that).

Just be glad we didn't have the David Hayter "mutant clouds" ending. :google

The squid wasn't removed from the film because of Snyder. It was never in any draft of the scripts... EVER. If I recall, it wasn't even in the 1989 Sam Hamm script (which was long since abandonded anyway... and thank God for that).

Just be glad we didn't have the David Hayter "mutant clouds" ending. :google

Don't you find that a little bit odd though? I mean, I understand not including it in the older scripts, because effects weren't very good back then so giant squid aliens would look super cheesy. But I'm pretty sure they could have made them pretty darn cool in this day and age! Just look at 'Cloverfield' for inspiration.

It's a giant squid alien cover-up!!! :horror

Just for a differant opinion, as someone who never read the book but enjoyed the film, I think I would have been really let down if there ended up being giant squids.

The public who didn't read the novel, I think theyd all react very, very poorly to such an ending and it would have been a disaster.

TNone of this deeper level things will ever be shown in the film because there isn't enough "time" to do it.

I'm sorry, but no. They're not in the film because Snyder simply doesn't have depth as a filmmaker. There are literally thousands of movies with far shorter running times that hit much deeper.

I'll never understand why people make excuses for things that aren't evident in the text. I guess it's why they call them fans.

The public who didn't read the novel, I think theyd all react very, very poorly to such an ending and it would have been a disaster.

Right. Because they're clearly not expecting anything weird in a superhero movie that features a naked god.

Right. Because they're clearly not expecting anything weird in a superhero movie that features a naked god.

Did you not read the reviews of this movie getting trashed because people went thinking it was a superhero movie? The biggest compaint I read, more then anything else, was that it wasn't a real superhero movie because only one guy had powers. The general reaction to giant squids just all the sudden would have been catastrophic for the people who did stick around.

I loved this flick its the best comic book movie out there imo, but the two times I saw it, both times, more then 50% of the few people there got up and walked out before the end of the movie. And im not the only person who saw that happen, just read around.

Did you not read the reviews of this movie getting trashed because people went thinking it was a superhero movie?

The movie was trashed because it sucked. I think people expecting a superhero movie would have been thrilled to see a giant squid. Of course, they would probably have been thrilled to be watching anything else, too.

The movie was trashed because it sucked.

:lol You act as it if got 10% or less on Rotten Tomatoes (it wound up at 64%).

Unless, of course, you're referring to the reaction of Joe Sixpack, to whom no adaptation of WATCHMEN would ever play.

Regardless, you apparently exist only in the land of hyperbole and unnecessarily definitive overstatements.

:lol You act as it if got 10% or less on Rotten Tomatoes (it wound up at 64%).

Unless, of course, you're referring to the reaction of Joe Sixpack, to whom no adaptation of WATCHMEN would ever play.

Regardless, you apparently exist only in the land of hyperbole and unnecessarily definitive overstatements.

:lol
I just saw these two walking out of Watchmen
IMG_0577.jpg

I know, right? I mean I'm sure otherwise you would have been slobbering all over its magnificence as a cinematic giant. I'm sure of it. :drool

Just for a differant opinion, as someone who never read the book but enjoyed the film, I think I would have been really let down if there ended up being giant squids.

I have to agree. I like Watchmen and I haven't read the comic. If there was a giant squid at the end I know for a fact I would be bashing this film right now.

Heck, I think the giant squid is the reason I still haven't picked up the comic.

Wasn't there a movie already about retired Superheros who come out of retirement and eventually fight a giant mechanical squid at the end??:confused::monkey3
the-incredibles.jpg
[/IMG]

Back