Unaltered OT Appreciation Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was cool to see Jabba and Boba, but how it came off, I just didn't buy the CG. Jabba looked awful and Han's rise and fall looked fake.

The worst thing about that scene is that it's completely unnecessary - it gets in the way of the story. We don't actually need to see Jabba. As for Han stepping on Jabba's tail (not to mention his cartoonish reaction) that completely takes away any menace from him.

I've got to say though, I don't mind the original alterations to the ESB so much, and even the Sarlacc 'beak', it's Star Wars where I find them really intrusive, although I hate the new Emperor scene in ESB.

There was talk a few years ago of new scenes being added to ANH - extra shots in the sabre battle of Obi-Wan and Vader leaping about, and a scene in the ruins of the Jedi Temple between Palpatine and Vader.

I don't know what was worse. That or replacing Shaw at the end. :yuck

I think Han shooting first is worse... just because it so fundamentally alters his character in the early part of the film. Shooting first makes his transformation more dramatic IMO (not to mention more badass :rock).

Shaw being replaced is also unforgiveable and the the Jabba's palace number is just painful in how long and stupid the whole sequence became. Not like the original scene was a masterpiece, but it was fun and did not distract from the pacing of the movie.

Must we have this argument over and over again ? The " I'm an O.T purist" ( and therefore haven't enjoyed any Star Wars since '82) is both old AND boring . O.k , the prequels WEREN'T perfect , but ( and it pains me to say it ) neither were the O.T. Criticisms of the prequels could also be levelled at the O.T and at the end of the day , it's ALL Star Wars . And before the s$%t hits the fan ( again , yawn ), I'm 44 years old , I saw Star Wars ( Ep 4 A New Hope , whatever ) on the week of it's release and have loved it (and it's sequels) ever since . Yes , I was slightly dissappointed with Ep 1, but it did more right than it got wrong and these mistakes were ( for the most part) made up for with Eps 2 and 3 ) Oh , but that must make me a Lucas apologist , mustn't it ? And no , I'm not an " obsessive fan " , I don't read the E.U. novels ( for the most part ), though I've no problem with fans that do . I just LOVE STAR WARS and to me , having the prequels , special editions et al , is better than no Star Wars at all . Let's be positive about this thing that we ALL love , instead of picking fault and griping . Here's an idea . If you don't like the P.T , S.E's ( or whatever ) , don't bloody watch them . There , problem sorted .:gah:

Must we have this argument over and over again ? The " I'm an O.T purist" ( and therefore haven't enjoyed any Star Wars since '82) is both old AND boring . O.k , the prequels WEREN'T perfect , but ( and it pains me to say it ) neither were the O.T. Criticisms of the prequels could also be levelled at the O.T and at the end of the day , it's ALL Star Wars . And before the s$%t hits the fan ( again , yawn ), I'm 44 years old , I saw Star Wars ( Ep 4 A New Hope , whatever ) on the week of it's release and have loved it (and it's sequels) ever since . Yes , I was slightly dissappointed with Ep 1, but it did more right than it got wrong and these mistakes were ( for the most part) made up for with Eps 2 and 3 ) Oh , but that must make me a Lucas apologist , mustn't it ? And no , I'm not an " obsessive fan " , I don't read the E.U. novels ( for the most part ), though I've no problem with fans that do . I just LOVE STAR WARS and to me , having the prequels , special editions et al , is better than no Star Wars at all . Let's be positive about this thing that we ALL love , instead of picking fault and griping . Here's an idea . If you don't like the P.T , S.E's ( or whatever ) , don't bloody watch them . There , problem sorted .:gah:

WTF is it with Star Wars fans?! :dunno

The worst thing about that scene is that it's completely unnecessary - it gets in the way of the story. We don't actually need to see Jabba. As for Han stepping on Jabba's tail (not to mention his cartoonish reaction) that completely takes away any menace from him.

I've got to say though, I don't mind the original alterations to the ESB so much, and even the Sarlacc 'beak', it's Star Wars where I find them really intrusive, although I hate the new Emperor scene in ESB.

There was talk a few years ago of new scenes being added to ANH - extra shots in the sabre battle of Obi-Wan and Vader leaping about, and a scene in the ruins of the Jedi Temple between Palpatine and Vader.

I think it ruins Jabba for someone watching the movies (4-6) in order. There's something magical about Jabba's palace. The massive door opens, all of these interesting characters are laying around and suddenly we get a visual of Jabba... he's huge, disgusting and so visually interesting that you can't take your eyes off of him.... It's really a fantastic part of the OT, but by thrusting him needlessly into Star Wars in what amounts to a comic relief type scene we are robbed of any and all drama in seeing him at his palace in ROTJ.... Another SE FAIL.

Is good:

jabba-the-hutt.jpg

Is bad:

anh-jabba.jpg

Last edited:
Just give me a town with only with a few drunk jawa hundled together in the shade bathed in that great sunlight from a setting sun.

You....should try your hand at narrative storytelling.

It was cool to see Jabba and Boba, but how it came off, I just didn't buy the CG. Jabba looked awful and Han's rise and fall looked fake.

It's bad enough they crowbarred them in there, but the way Boba stops and kinda *winks at the camera, as if we couldn't f#$%ing see him there without him stopping to nod at all of the nerds.

It's insulting...

I think Han shooting first is worse... just because it so fundamentally alters his character in the early part of the film. Shooting first makes his transformation more dramatic IMO (not to mention more badass :rock).

Exactly right! The whole point of Han shooting first is that it makes his character seem shady early on and keeps the audience guessing as to whether he's trustworthy or not. Why Lucas intentionally changed that dynamic is beyond me. :cuckoo:

Plus it's clearly the same dialogue as Han has with Greedo, it made the entire scene seem like an obnoxious edit. :slap

Wait? Han not shooting first doesn't seem shady? It happens in a fraction of a second!!! Bad guys can get shot at as well...

I prefer Han shooting first simply because it was a badass way to end a conversation, but dodging a shot at point blank range is pretty badass too...

Back